GOM shows 199 after charge.

MikeM

Standard Member
Reaction score
I had the car BMS software updated to the latest version a week ago (19th April 2021). I noticed that the GOM was showing higher mileage than I thought it should so I made sure it as fully charged last night.

I was rather surprised to find that it showed 199 miles in Eco with nothing switched on except the start button.

I have done a couple of partial charges since the update and was surprised at the result. I thought maybe the computer will correct it but, so far, no, it has not.

Somehow I cant believe that I would get that range on the road. Something has to be a little out, updating software doe's not increase battery size.

Has anybody else experienced this?

I had the car BMS software updated to the latest version a week ago (19th April 2021). I noticed that the GOM was showing higher mileage than I thought it should so I made sure it as fully charged last night.

I was rather surprised to find that it showed 199 miles in Eco with nothing switched on except the start button.

I have done a couple of partial charges since the update and was surprised at the result. I thought maybe the computer will correct it but, so far, no, it has not.

Somehow I cant believe that I would get that range on the road. Something has to be a little out, updating software doe's not increase battery size.

The estimate GOM is based on you accumulated average and overall increased external temperatures if you reset this button you should find that your GOM will drop accordingly. Have a look at my road trip results the other day which will show you what’s possible.

Had new BMS on 1st Feb to fix duff version I had on car since December.

I charged my ZS the other day and left to balance and showed 449v fully charged with 0.020mv difference between lowest and highest cell. It showed 199 in normal mode on GOM on this occasion.

Doubt I'll get that but forgot to reset when I charged it. I have been getting 4.5mkwh to 4.8mkwh average since the weather has improved so car has used those figures to calculate the GOM.

Had new BMS on 1st Feb to fix duff version I had on car since December.

I charged my ZS the other day and left to balance and showed 449v fully charged with 0.020mv difference between lowest and highest cell. It showed 199 in normal mode on GOM on this occasion.

Doubt I'll get that but forgot to reset when I charged it. I have been getting 4.5mkwh to 4.8mkwh average since the weather has improved so car has used those figures to calculate the GOM.
So based on these figures you GOM is about right as I managed that range on my road trip the other day. 👍

If you don't reset the accumulative trip, then the mileage the GOM shows is irrelevant for comparison purposes, as it's based on YOUR recent driving data.
I totally agree, if you charge and drive the car carefully to reach good efficiency figures of around 4.5 m/ kWh on a daily basis and are NOT resetting the accumulative trip, it will lead to an increased predicted range on the GOM.
After a few days of charging and carefully driving, when you boot up the car ( with your foot OFF the brake pedal ) then take a note of the predicted mileage reported by the GOM.
Now go into the trip setting by scrolling through the settings by using the UP and DOWN buttons on the right hand side of the steering wheel.
When to get to the accumulative screen, reset it by pressing the OKAY button.
Keep one eye on the GOM when you do this and watch the predicted mileage reduce back to a more reasonable figure.
Without resetting this trip, it is increasing or reducing your PREDICTED range based in your recent trips / driving style.
Although it is great to see a predicted range of 200 miles on the GOM - you have to be a little carefully trusting this prediction when planning a trip, that will push the limits reported by the GOM.
I advise caution as you COULD get caught out trusting this optimistic figure.

I had the BMS update at the first service in March and my GOM usually shows 203 miles with nothing switched on and in Eco. It hasn't corrected mine either but I can live with it now.

Thanks all - I was wondering where the extra 15 or 20 miles were suddenly coming from after the update last week. I’ll try the reset in the next day or three and see how it settles.

Thanks all - I was wondering where the extra 15 or 20 miles were suddenly coming from after the update last week. I’ll try the reset in the next day or three and see how it settles.
If you reset it weekly or when there’s been a significant change in temperature you’ll find the true GOM predicted range much more honest and realistic.

If you reset it weekly or when there’s been a significant change in temperature you’ll find the true GOM predicted range much more honest and realistic.
This is more useful resetting when there has been a significant change.

Since the GOM is based on YOUR style and YOUR journeys it should reflect roughly what YOU should expect to get.
Resetting it is great for comparison purposes with someone else who has also done a 'factory reset' perhaps in order to check voltages etc.
If we reset every time just so we get the factory figure, why bother having a GOM, we'll all just agree it should be 163 and check the trip meter instead counting up to 163.

This is more useful resetting when there has been a significant change.

Since the GOM is based on YOUR style and YOUR journeys it should reflect roughly what YOU should expect to get.
Resetting it is great for comparison purposes with someone else who has also done a 'factory reset' perhaps in order to check voltages etc.
If we reset every time just so we get the factory figure, why bother having a GOM, we'll all just agree it should be 163 and check the trip meter instead counting up to 163.
I reset every charge, so that when get in the car in the morning I can be sure it is fully charged (GOM says 163/162).
If only it showed you something useful on the dash like the charge %...... now wouldn't that be sensible!

Our same daily drive of 102 miles, mpkwh can vary due to traffic/weather day to day by a fair amount. So I can't trust enough what a variable GOM says.
Our safe decision point is that the car must have a minimum of 90% charge, so a 145+mile reset GOM, in order to use it for the daily commute (in case something happens).

I reset every charge, so that when get in the car in the morning I can be sure it is fully charged (GOM says 163/162).
If only it showed you something useful on the dash like the charge %...... now wouldn't that be sensible!

Our same daily drive of 102 miles, mpkwh can vary due to traffic/weather day to day by a fair amount. So I can't trust enough what a variable GOM says.
Our safe decision point is that the car must have a minimum of 90% charge, so a 145+mile reset GOM, in order to use it for the daily commute (in case something happens).
Each to their own, but if you do the same drive everyday the GOM if left alone will become more accurate as to range than a factory reset ever will, and you don't need to do a factory reset to tell that the car is fully charged.

I can see your train if thought here @JodyS21 .
When using the car on the same journey every single day and pushing the car a little close towards a buffer mileage you have just in case of a small traffic diversion and different ambient temperatures, then having the reassurance of plotting your known usage / consumption, is less stressful.
It’s a routine that you are comfortable with.
If I was sending my wife off on the same trip each day, it offers piece of mind that the phone is not likely to ring with a conversation of :- “Do I have enough range to get home ?”.
I guess if the car had a slightly bigger pack that offered just a bit more range, then none of this is important ?.
I am in your camp really, if I am taking a trip that I have not covered before or is likely to stretch the range of the car, I will reset the accumulative trip.
I feel after owning the car for 15 months and going through the issues the BMS updates have brought about, I like to plot my remaining range from a good known base line.
Each to there own really, there is no right or wrong way.
It’s what ever method you are more comfortable with.

@JodyS21 .
What do you make of this recently posted video ?.

Interesting.
I'm surprised he hasn't got access to the OBD2 data to see the it in more detail.

Also interesting that he calculates the kWh charge power using the same method that I had been, using the current voltage shown on the dash in conjunction with the amps shown - rather than a fixed 450v. Not sure what it actually correct still.

I did the reset as people have said and it is now back to it's normal level. I am relieved that the car no longer falls asleep waiting for a charge, apparently it will wait for up to ten hours. Brilliant, I can now plug it in at 1700hrs and it will wait for the Rolec to kick in at 0030hrs. No more trickle charge.

I did the reset as people have said and it is now back to it's normal level. I am relieved that the car no longer falls asleep waiting for a charge, apparently it will wait for up to ten hours. Brilliant, I can now plug it in at 1700hrs and it will wait for the Rolec to kick in at 0030hrs. No more trickle charge.
It'd be interesting to see what your Rolec does if you plug in more than 10 hours before your charge is scheduled to start.
From initial impressions it looked like my Ohme started a trickle charge shortly before the 10 hours elapsed until the main charge starts.
It would be interesting to know if a charger just giving it a little charge for a couple of mins keeps it awake for an additional 10 hours....

It'd be interesting to see what your Rolec does if you plug in more than 10 hours before your charge is scheduled to start.
From initial impressions it looked like my Ohme started a trickle charge shortly before the 10 hours elapsed until the main charge starts.
It would be interesting to know if a charger just giving it a little charge for a couple of mins keeps it awake for an additional 10 hours....
I was told by the tech who installed the update that the car will simply fall asleep after the ten hour wait and will not wake up. It seems that the manufacturers feel that leaving it awake for long periods will deplete the 12v battery to the point where the car will not switch on. I have to admit, that event would not please me!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom