Government cuts EV grant by £500 and limits to under £35k vehicles

Stuart Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
This is BS.
Read this announcement and how they're spinning it as an improvement, whereas actually they are cutting the grant from £3,000 to £2,500 and limiting it to vehicles under £35k.

All Teslas just got £3,000 more expensive. Which will actually significantly affect fleet sales of EVs, I think.

Last edited:
I thought the previous PiCG was £3000, not £3500? That said, it is absolutely not a good thing to reduce public incentive to invest in greener travel and certainly not to announce it with zero notice either.

What a stupidly backwards step. On one hand they're banning ICE cars from 2030, then cutting the incentive on the alternative. A little warning would of been useful, I was hovering over buying an MG5 and now got stung for £500. This is madness.

I thought the previous PiCG was £3000, not £3500? That said, it is absolutely not a good thing to reduce public incentive to invest in greener travel and certainly not to announce it with zero notice either.
You're correct. I'm even further behind the times. Edited.

The government couldnt forever keep the grant but they could of easily give more than notice of this change eg starting 1st April. This would have helped dealers in this hard time. Also "up to", does that mean if i spend £35k on a car i might only get £1 grant or the full amount?

The last time they reduced the grant, they gave a few hours notice (think it was announced at 5pm for start next day). Another slow clap for this government...👏

Idea, they could easy add an extra fee on first registration of a petrol/desiel vechile and exempt electric or hydrogen vechiles from that fee...

Idea, they could easy add an extra fee on first registration of a petrol/desiel vechile and exempt electric or hydrogen vechiles from that fee...
Exactly. £500 would be a good start.

I'm not against the grant getting cut, this was bound to happen and understand it can't last forever, but all I'm asking for is some warning. It would have helped EVERYONE if they announced this when dealers had reopened and given a small warning like a month or so. Dealers have been hit hard enough as it is but this is just kicking them (and us) while they're down.

And add this to the mix.

OZEV HAVE ANNOUNCED THAT THE HOME AND WORKPLACE CHARGING GRANTS WILL CEASE 31 MARCH 2022

And add this to the mix.

OZEV HAVE ANNOUNCED THAT THE HOME AND WORKPLACE CHARGING GRANTS WILL CEASE 31 MARCH 2022
Thanks for the heads up - I read it had been extended for a year but good to have a date. The exact same thing happened with FIT for Domestic PV installs and it was a massive blow to that industry. Hoping that this doesn't have the same effect with the EV market. With the number of 'out of action' chargers on ZapMap these days, people who are able to install a home charger will absolutely need one. It's not as if the price of wallboxes or installation cost is going to massively reduce either.

For what its worth, I've started this. Need just five people to sign before it goes live, would appreciate it if someone could sign it please!

Click this link to sign the petition:
Petition: Delay the Plug-in Car grant cut.

My petition:

Delay the Plug-in Car grant cut.

Delay the reduction to the plugin car grant until lockdown is eased and car purchases can be completed. Since car dealerships closed during lockdown, customers have been unable to purchase a vehicle. The timing of the grant cut is unfair and poorly timed.

The Government today (18/03/2021) announced a cut to the Electric Car Grant from £3,000 to £2,500, with immediate effect and no warning. UK car dealerships have been closed during the COVID-19 lockdown making car purchases difficult. Therefore, many customers have been forced to delay purchases until lockdown is eased and make a safe purchase. The immediate cut to the plug-in car grant DURING lockdown is poorly timed and offered no fair warning to customers waiting to make a purchase.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom