Government Reducing Grant to £1500 Even Though Order Made Well Before Change

Jon Farmer

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi

I ordered my MG5 on 27th September 2021 back when the grant was £2500. As we know the government in December 2021 changed this to £1500 but said any orders made at least 7 days before would still qualify for the £2500 grant. My dealer is now telling me the government is rowing back on that and they are having to appeal a decision not to offer the £2500 for my car as it is due for delivery to long after the change (March 2022).

Is anyone else facing this? Anybody have any suggestions or information that may help?

Kind Regards

Jon

I ordered mine early November and my dealer has told me that the £2500 PICG is still applicable to my order. Mine is also due for delivery late Feb/early March.

I have just spoken to my dealer on the phone and it seems that your dealer did not do their job properly!! Apparently, when an order is placed for a new EV the dealer should "register" that purchase on the OZEV website. That registration is what ultimately triggers the PICG payment.

When the most recent change to the grant was announced, apparently dealers were allowed a "few days" to register orders received immediately prior to the "change" date. It seems your dealer did not do this! Therefore, in the words of my dealer, yours "should stand the loss/difference"!

HTH

Interesting, on the 17th December the dealer emailed me saying I needed to now sign an order as

Due to government changes with the Plug in Car Grant application, we are required to submit signed orders, whereas previously an email would suffice.

At the time I thought nothing of it and just signed and returned the order to them. I am now wondering if this hasn't been handled correctly by the dealer.

I ordered around the same time as you, My Dealer registered all of their orders on the PICG website in December to lock in the existing deals. Why they hadn't registered it at time of order I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it's related to long lead times. I've had confirmation my price is locked in and the grant is valid for my vehicle arriving 1st March.

I have emailed my dealer asking when the order was registered on the OLEV portal. I update when I get a reply.
I really hope your local dealer applied for the PICG grant straight away !.
The Chorley Group aim to place an order and have the grant App done within 48 hours after receiving a deposit for a customer order.
If your dealer has been a bit lethargic in their approach to submitting the PICG grant application, then that could be a difficult conversation for them to have with you regarding to suppling your new car at the agreed price !.
Have you paid a deposit and do you have a copy of your order form, is the PICG grant shown on the order ?.
Very interested to hear what they come back with ?.

That's good to hear. Can only guess they didn't register it for a reason, but who knows what that would be.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom