GRIDSERVE Charging Station issues M5 & M6

Andy Dykes

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Gridserve. Possibly the worst provider on the M5 & M6 unless you like wasting 45 minutes for less than 5Kwh even though app states a fast charge. Nightmare journey trying to find working/available charges with only 10% charge. Might have to use my wife's Toyota Hybrid next trip up North. This made a difficult journey (family funeral) very fraught. Difficult to check Zap-Map whilst driving via Apple Play - unless you know different?

the old ones are pretty duff. I think I heard or read somewhere that they were retrofitted to provide ccs (initially only chademo) and that’s the reason. hopefully will be upgraded with the newer ones by gridserve.

Used a couple on the M6 in July without any issues but they were the new Gridserve ones. Ecotricity had a very bad name for the state of it's chargers and Gridserve are replacing them all as far as I know.

Used a couple on the M6 in July without any issues but they were the new Gridserve ones. Ecotricity had a very bad name for the state of it's chargers and Gridserve are replacing them all as far as I know.
Thankfully but it will take time to replace the duff stock meantime hopefully the whole charging network will improve to encourage more EV buyers

Here’s epic winning maz’s updated list of upgrades. Follow the progress on Twitter.

On our latest trip to Scotland we used the Gridserve units at Stafford North, and Burton in Kendal. For the return journey we used Southwaite and had no issues with any of them. Only minor issue was the CCS not working in one unit at Southwaite but as the Kona using the other was over 80% they finished off (after a bit of car comparison chat) to their satisfaction.

Similarly the Chademo on one of the units at Stafford was not working so we moved to another to allow the arriving Leaf to use ours.

Arriving with about 30+ miles after all motorway driving the charges started at over 46kwh and for our ZS EV the cutoff was 86% when it dropped to about 14kwh

The other thing that impresses me about Gridserve is that the cost on the motorway is quite often cheaper than going off route unlike fossil fuels where you would be paying a premium. Makes life so much cheaper and easier.

Paid contactless via Google pay

Last edited:
Hilton Park works (both southbound today and northbound, wednesday).

However this appeared on the m5, which i think shows EV charging is starting to be more accepted like fueling a petrol car:

Attachments

• 16343896341456753643768009643716.jpg
    16343896341456753643768009643716.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 159
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom