Heading to York

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I'm heading down south for a few days in York from Scotland next week.

This means I'll be without my safety blanket of the much maligned but actually quite helpful ChargePlace Scotland card.

Any advice on Dos and Don'ts for a travelling Scot, to help me get a charge whilst on my journey, within the "Open Market" Buffet of charging options in England?

Thanks

As has been mentioned elsewhere, the A1/A1M) in northern England doesn't have any roadside hubs, just the usual 1 or 2 stations so just plan well using the usually touted apps. Once in York you should be OK.

I'm heading down south for a few days in York from Scotland next week.

This means I'll be without my safety blanket of the much maligned but actually quite helpful ChargePlace Scotland card.

Any advice on Dos and Don'ts for a travelling Scot, to help me get a charge whilst on my journey, within the "Open Market" Buffet of charging options in England?

Thanks
Not too far off the A1(M), there’s a Fastned hub in a small retail park at Barnard Castle. You might find it handy if you want to avoid the queues at the motorway chargers but you’ll need to walk into town for cafes or toilets. Also, if you use the app to enable autocharge, I’d say it makes things very straightforward.

As a fellow Inverness dweller, the closest run I've done to your trip is Inverness --> Newcastle (for the ferry to NL). We often stopover in the Borders, which might not be applicable to your situation, but allows for charging up there (e.g. in Hawick), which means your "much maligned but actually quite helpful ChargePlace Scotland card" will ensure ample volts for the rest of the run to York.

The charging hubs around Perth are worth checking out too. Broxden Park & Ride is sadly no longer free, but is still only 30p/kWh even now.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, the A1/A1M) in northern England doesn't have any roadside hubs, just the usual 1 or 2 stations so just plan well using the usually touted apps. Once in York you should be OK.

@Gomev Thanks. Went to The Hyper Hub at Monks Cross - absolutely brilliant

Not too far off the A1(M), there’s a Fastned hub in a small retail park at Barnard Castle. You might find it handy if you want to avoid the queues at the motorway chargers but you’ll need to walk into town for cafes or toilets. Also, if you use the app to enable autocharge, I’d say it makes things very straightforward.
I would agree on this recommendation. Used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and six 50kw chargers available and no one else there when I stopped. Scotch corner just asking the road only has 2 Gridserve ones that always seem to be on use when I stop there.

That looks excellent, but quite a hike from the A1(M). I can't see a short route that's less than 30 miles return at all.

Thanks all for your helpful responses. I'm back safe and sound and no problems with chargers at all.

I did wince at paying 69 pence at a Jet station, but that's better than 75p at the BP Pulse just a few miles away.

As an aside, isn't York a beautiful and interesting city!!!

Thanks all for your helpful responses. I'm back safe and sound and no problems with chargers at all.

I did wince at paying 69 pence at a Jet station, but that's better than 75p at the BP Pulse just a few miles away.

It is. Last time we were there before Xmas we used the park and ride and the bus was also electric.

York is not a very car friendly city.

There’s a nice little place at the edge of Alnwick just off the A1 NE66 2GD.

Has three or four units and I’ve never known one not be free. Nice little cafe too.

Hi Dave,

I am heading down to Lincolnshire tomorrow (10th April) what apps did you find best? The route I will take is down the M6 to Penrith and across the A66 to Scot’s corner how did you find the charging as like your self the charge place Scotland is a bit of a comfort blanket…

Iain

Hi Dave,

I am heading down to Lincolnshire tomorrow (10th April) what apps did you find best? The route I will take is down the M6 to Penrith and across the A66 to Scot’s corner how did you find the charging as like your self the charge place Scotland is a bit of a comfort blanket…

Iain
The Moto services at Wetherby, on the A1(M) have a lot (17 CCS I think) of Gridserve chargers but are very busy around the lunchtime period.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom