Headlamp ALignment for Continental Driving

DavJoy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I will be taking my MG HS Plug In Hybrid to France in a few weeks and I am concerned about headlamp alignment for LED headlights. With my previous car - Mercedes ML - all that was required was to adjust the headlights by selecting driving on right, using the menus available via the steering wheel. On all other cars owned before my Mercedes I had to stick blanking pieces on the headlamp lens. What do I need for an LED| headlamp? - if anything! Your views would be very much appreciated.

I've had a set of beam deflectors in a door pocket for about 10 years now, in several cars, which I forget to fit when I go to France.

I just lower the headlamps with the adjuster. Never been flashed by an annoyed motorist.

Thank you very much for your comment. I was wondering if using the headlamp adjustment would be a satisfactory solution to the problem. It's good to know it's "tried and tested". Thank you!

Thank you very much for your comment. I was wondering if using the headlamp adjustment would be a satisfactory solution to the problem. It's good to know it's "tried and tested". Thank you!
No problem - but maybe get one and stick it in the door pocket just in case. The phrase 'Ah, merde, je l'ai oublié' may come in handy if you are unlucky.

I will be taking my MG HS Plug In Hybrid to France in a few weeks and I am concerned about headlamp alignment for LED headlights. With my previous car - Mercedes ML - all that was required was to adjust the headlights by selecting driving on right, using the menus available via the steering wheel. On all other cars owned before my Mercedes I had to stick blanking pieces on the headlamp lens. What do I need for an LED| headlamp? - if anything! Your views would be very much appreciated.
I've had an HS Plug in since March 2022 and have had 2 six week trips to Spain without deflectors and have not been flashed. Kept to the lowest beam alignment and kept a set of deflectors(just in case)

I've had an HS Plug in since March 2022 and have had 2 six week trips to Spain without deflectors and have not been flashed. Kept to the lowest beam alignment and kept a set of deflectors(just in case)
Interested to hear how you got on with the Spain trips, Malcolm. My new HS plug in arrives later this month and I'm taking it to Spain next year. How was your experience charging on route and once in Spain?

We got the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander and then drove some 700kms to the Valencua region. The car is very comfortable although I must say the Spanish roads are a dream to drive on. Given the distance we were driving and the fact that the EV capacity is only 52kms I just used AUTO and let the system sort itself, so no charging needed.
Once we arrived however I've moved to EV for local driving, charging up overnight via the granny cable. I debated about a specific charging point but didn't feel it was cost effective given the limited time we are in Spain. I just use an Outdoor 2 pin plug for charging, takes about 6 hours overnight to charge at reduced power prices.
I haven't used a commercial charging point.
One thing I do find annoying is the positioning of the criuse control, I can't actually see it from the driving position! The only time I ever use criuse control is in Spain, so it's quite frustrating!!
Hope this all helps.

I always carry a roll of black insulation tape, just in case but never had an issue since the 90's tbh

Last edited:
We got the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander and then drove some 700kms to the Valencua region. The car is very comfortable although I must say the Spanish roads are a dream to drive on. Given the distance we were driving and the fact that the EV capacity is only 52kms I just used AUTO and let the system sort itself, so no charging needed.
Once we arrived however I've moved to EV for local driving, charging up overnight via the granny cable. I debated about a specific charging point but didn't feel it was cost effective given the limited time we are in Spain. I just use an Outdoor 2 pin plug for charging, takes about 6 hours overnight to charge at reduced power prices.
I haven't used a commercial charging point.
One thing I do find annoying is the positioning of the criuse control, I can't actually see it from the driving position! The only time I ever use criuse control is in Spain, so it's quite frustrating!!
Hope this all helps.
That's a brilliant supportive reply. No need for concern it seems, and there I've been wondering where to charge, how to "blank off" headlights etc etc. Thank you very much! I have a 400 km drive from the port down and a 560km drive on the return journey. Much less than your journey. Thank you for alleviating my concerns

My understanding is that vehicles fitted with LED headlights do not need beam corrector. I believe this is because the dip position of the beam is simply lowered not directed to one side or the other.
Certainly this was the case when I took my Audi S3 fitted with LED headlamps abroad. Unless someone knows differently?

Might be worth asking @JohnInFrance for advice.

Hi Dave, I imagine that like all UK RHD vehicles your dipped beam pattern is shaped to show the LH edge for a longer distance. A bit like this \____

Unfortunately when driving on Continental Europe you will be driving on the RH side of the road and the oncoming traffic will be on your left, inline with the flare of your UK dipped beam.

There are options :

On some cars Mercedes in particular the dipped beam can be changed, either electronically for a fully correct LHD dipped beam like this / or at least a flat dipped beam like this _

Other cars have a mechanical solution installed within the headlight unit so that when operated it gives a dipped beam like this ____.

Finally the least sophisticated method is to stick something on the headlamp face to convert this \_ to this __. You can use one option called "Beam Benders (which don't bend anything) and if stuck in the right place will make your dipped beam flat. The only negative issue this that if they stay on the headlamp for too long the glue can eat into the plastic face of the headlamp.

Personally I have used standard insulation as the glue is not too strong and is easier to work with.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:
My understanding is that vehicles fitted with LED headlights do not need beam corrector. I believe this is because the dip position of the beam is simply lowered not directed to one side or the other.
Certainly this was the case when I took my Audi S3 fitted with LED headlamps abroad. Unless someone knows differently?
I agree. I have been driving on the continent (France, Spain, Italy, Austria, Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium) without needing deflectors. No problems whatsoever.

Might be worth asking @JohnInFrance for advice.
Interestingly, I've just found this thread as I'm looking for the answer the other way around, converting my LHD lights for a visit to the UK. At the moment, my plan is just to lower the beams because I can't find an answer anywhere and there is nothing in the manuals relating to it either.

This chap decided to dip his headlamps.
0_JohnAshton7Nov.jpg

Seriously, I spend much time driving on the continent and have never had any issues... usually oncoming traffic will flash their beams when you're blinding them . Never happened when driving the HS.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom