Headlight sealing strip dislodged by automatic car wash

Hgray

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi There, Im newbie.
I bought my MG ZS EV on the 14th December, which i am impressed with! no complaints about the car! The only thing I have to say is a couple of weeks ago the car went into the carwash for the first time! The rotary brush type! Afterwards when I got back home and parked up and I noticed that the sealing strip between the bottom of the left headlight and the bodywork was hanging off.I pressed it back the best I could and reported it to Arnold Clark MG in Glasgow! Its been 3 weeks since I heard from them, they said they are waiting for their mechanic too return from a training course! (Thats was a 10 ten ago) was wondering if the car is under warranty for that king of damage?

20200216_180814.jpg
20200127_161435.jpg
20200127_161419.jpg

20200127_161435.jpg

They are easy / quick / convenient and can get the dirt off your car, but as per Stuart I'd suggest avoiding them if you want to look after your car. They are very destructive (as you know) and damaging to the paintwork - the disclaimer signs they have at them should be enough to put the fear in anyone :eek:

Just to add, I'm a total hypocrite as I used one recently (the kids love and fear them) - but I was pretty nervous and use them incredibly rarely :ROFLMAO: I was panicking when I got out of the car as I saw something similar to the pics you posted, luckily though it turned out just to be a twig that had got trapped (but also imagine a twig being pushed across your paintwork by an automated machine).

If you need your car washed and don't enjoy it yourself, a handwash bay gets my vote!

If you haven't already, I'd suggest not mentioning the use of the car wash to the dealer - hope they fix it up for you though.

I always felt that the automatic car washes could never get into the nooks and crannies like an underpaid Eastern European. ?
And were going to put more force on wing mirrors and other sticking out bits than I was comfortable with.
And honestly I haven’t seen one in about 10 years.
I was also concerned about the abrasive nature of the strips of those rotary brushes.
Mind you, the hand wash sponges could hold bits of dirt and grit too, and that bothered me too much to let anyone else wash my Lotus Elise except me.
The paint job on my Ioniq is so cheap that it’s not worth getting precious about, but I still wouldn’t use an automatic car wash.

They are easy / quick / convenient and can get the dirt off your car, but as per Stuart I'd suggest avoiding them if you want to look after your car. They are very destructive (as you know) and damaging to the paintwork - the disclaimer signs they have at them should be enough to put the fear in anyone :eek:

Just to add, I'm a total hypocrite as I used one recently (the kids love and fear them) - but I was pretty nervous and use them incredibly rarely :ROFLMAO: I was panicking when I got out of the car as I saw something similar to the pics you posted, luckily though it turned out just to be a twig that had got trapped (but also imagine a twig being pushed across your paintwork by an automated machine).

If you need your car washed and don't enjoy it yourself, a handwash bay gets my vote!

If you haven't already, I'd suggest not mentioning the use of the car wash to the dealer - hope they fix it up for you though.
Thanks for the feedback, will do ?

Hi guys a update on the sealing strip hanging from the headlight! MG Glasgow contacted me and I brought the car in today for them too check it out. The outcome of the check was that the sealing strip was actually a piece from the car wash that had lodged in the gap between the headlight and the bodywork ?? oops and had ripped off!! A big thank you too MG Glasgow (the person dealing with it was on holiday, so took a bit longer too get back to me) Im glad it was not a fault in the car. Cheers

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom