• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Heat pump, solar and wall battery is this the future?

Dariusz Tech

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
6 years ago we bought a semi detached house with 8 solar panels. Few months later we have purchased our first EV to take advantage of the solar. We use FiT getting around £850 per year.
Today we have one full EV MG4 and phev for caravan.

Our gas boiler is faulty and will be definitely getting air heat pump instead. However I did some research and seems like a no brainer to get the wall battery installed especially now with all the electricity prices going up.

I found Givenergy 9.5kwh battery for around £5k plus £10k (after £5 grant) for 14-16kw heat pump.

My question is how to run all this the most efficient way. We are family of 5 plus 2 dogs and use a lot electricity during the day. Washing, cooking, laundry, dishwasher etc

What's the best tariffs available. Would I need to replace the old 7kw car charger.

£15k is a lot of money. I looked at the 5 year loan and it's around £290 per month.
We currently paying around £250-£300 for gas and electricity.
I'm just wondering how this system is going to reduce our bills.

I'm very confused about this.

If you can share your experience and thought it would be great. Or maybe there's another way.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

First get onto Octopus go and charge your car during the 12.30 to 4.30 (AM) cheap rate. Also run your dishwasher, washing machine, tumble drier, immersion heater etc at this time. Do check carefully how effective an air source heat pump will be for you, they decrease substantially in effectiveness as the temperature drops (just as you need them) and can struggle to heat even highly insulated modern houses when the temperature drops (you I suspect may be better off with a modern gas boiler :(). In winter as you will be aware your solar panels generate little electricity. You may want to look at installing a power diverter to heat the water.

Last edited:
Our gas boiler is faulty and will be definitely getting air heat pump instead. However I did some research and seems like a no brainer to get the wall battery installed especially now with all the electricity prices going up.
We listened to a really interesting BBC podcast on heat pumps in the summer, I've just googled it again because it had some exceptionally interesting advice on things you need to ensure that are in place in your home before choosing to replace a 'conventional' boiler with an air source heat pump. anyhow, may be of interest, so I've linked it below:

Hi, with 8 panels you may struggle to charge up the 9.5kWh battery.
I have 14 panels and a 9.5kWh battery and charge it on a night tariff to currently 70% (was to 50% during the summer and may change it to 80-90% shortly as not enough sun to top ut up) as above most high power goods run at night or midday when the sun it strongest.
I am looking at a ASHP but my boiler is still going strong plus I am using an Eddi to heat the immersion with excess solar.

Hi, with 8 panels you may struggle to charge up the 9.5kWh battery.
I have 14 panels and a 9.5kWh battery and charge it on a night tariff to currently 70% (was to 50% during the summer and may change it to 80-90% shortly as not enough sun to top ut up) as above most high power goods run at night or midday when the sun it strongest.
I am looking at a ASHP but my boiler is still going strong plus I am using an Eddi to heat the immersion with excess solar.
Fair enough.thanks for sharing this

We listened to a really interesting BBC podcast on heat pumps in the summer, I've just googled it again because it had some exceptionally interesting advice on things you need to ensure that are in place in your home before choosing to replace a 'conventional' boiler with an air source heat pump. anyhow, may be of interest, so I've linked it below:

Thank you 😊

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom