Heating by heat pump?

Nick W

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi
Another question...
Can the MG5 use its heat pump to heat the cabin or is it just for cooling with an electric PTC heater? And does it also use waste heat from the battery or motor (I think both are liquid cooled) for cabin heating?
Cheers

Solution
Hi
Another question...
Can the MG5 use its heat pump to heat the cabin or is it just for cooling with an electric PTC heater? And does it also use waste heat from the battery or motor (I think both are liquid cooled) for cabin heating?
Cheers
No heat pump. Just Air Con and a PTC heater I believe. But it does heat up really quickly and the heated seats are nice. I'd say I was good to go within a minute.
Hi
Another question...
Cheers
No heat pump. Just Air Con and a PTC heater I believe. But it does heat up really quickly and the heated seats are nice. I'd say I was good to go within a minute.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you - it's the things they don't put in the brochure! Are you aware of the heater running the battery down - does it seem to make a difference to range or the discharge rate?

Upvote 0
Thank you - it's the things they don't put in the brochure! Are you aware of the heater running the battery down - does it seem to make a difference to range or the discharge rate?
We it was about -1C on a close evening it battery did seems to go down quite quickly but it was a short journey (about two miles). It did slightly more than a percentage point a mile. Initially heating the car seems to be the biggest hit.

So far I haven't done any long journeys. However when it was about 1 to 2 C I went about 10 miles and it didn't seem to eat the battery nearly as much.

Upvote 0
The heater uses around 5kW on maximum power; you can deduce this from the change in amps on the power flow screen. A heat pump would be featured in the marketing if present.

Upvote 0
From what I have read using the heated seats instead of the cabin heater is the best way to avoid depleting range too much.

Upvote 0
From what I have read using the heated seats instead of the cabin heater is the best way to avoid depleting range too much.
I would mostly agree. I just turned down the heater to 18C. That way the heater didn't have to work too hard but the windows were nice and clear.

Upvote 0
The heater is extremely powerful. Most of the time it is not on constantly -- it pulses the power to regulate itself. Also, with the climate control in auto mode, it will regulate the cabin to the temperature you tell it to, so once it's up to temperature, it will not use as much power.

Upvote 0
The heater is extremely powerful. Most of the time it is not on constantly -- it pulses the power to regulate itself. Also, with the climate control in auto mode, it will regulate the cabin to the temperature you tell it to, so once it's up to temperature, it will not use as much power.
You’re at an advantage with your MG5’s having auto climate control 🙂

Upvote 0
Sorry, I hadn’t thought of that, but yes you are right. On the other hand, am I right in thinking that with the manual climate control, once the cabin is warm, as long as you only dial in as much heat as you need, it will not draw too much power?

Upvote 0
Well this an MG5 post after all I’m hijacking!
Heating, aircon and fans use some battery of course in various degress. In the ZS the more heat and fan speed that you use the more battery - using aircon also adds an additional draw. Using a lower temerature and less fan speed uses less battery. I find the heater really good and rarely have to go over fan speed 2 and heating half way unless defrosting. But it stays where you set it and doesn’t change if the temperature goes up or down. With your MG5 and auto climate - unlike the ZS - the car will sense the temperature and look to maintain the level that you set. It’s generally considered much more convenient and user friendly - although I haven’t really missed it on my ZS.

Upvote 1
I know with the Jazz and the Jazz forum many guys prefer the manual climate control to the full auto.
Give me auto every time, set and forget. With ICE the alternator covered most use with a little less MPG if you could measure it next to nothing to keep warm or cool.

Upvote 0
Can auto setting be used without engaging the aircon on the MG5?

Upvote 0
Can auto setting be used without engaging the aircon on the MG5?
Yes, it can. Switch it to auto and then switch the aircon off. Every other aspect of the climate control will remain in automatic mode, except the aircon, which will be off.

Having said that, my understand is that the electric aircon compressor spinning is a minimal draw (although I'd be interested to know an actual kW figure).

Upvote 0
Can you set the MG5 to a mode (Acc?) Which lets you run the heater whilst it is still charging?I know there isn't timer preheat but it would be good if you can switch the heater on 5 minutes before leaving and get the car warm on mains.

Upvote 0
Can you set the MG5 to a mode (Acc?) Which lets you run the heater whilst it is still charging?I know there isn't timer preheat but it would be good if you can switch the heater on 5 minutes before leaving and get the car warm on mains.
If you switch to ready mode you can charge and heat at the same time.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom