Help with Parking Tickets and Motoring Offences

A recent post questioning how overstay at a public charging point might be dealt with promoted me to think about a very useful online community I chanced upon some years ago.

Apologies if I'm telling granny how to suck eggs but, for those to whom this is new, read on...

Check out this site:

If you think it might help you, here's a few hints before you make a post, especially for private parking tickets:

You are most likely to be responding as "The Keeper" - a completely separate entity to "The Driver".

Never, ever, identify the driver. No "I parked", "the wife's mother", "the cat" etc. Only ever "the driver" did this or that. This applies to posts on the site, letters you may write and forms you may fill, conversations you have. Anything.

Never, ever engage the parking company or their solicitors, best collectors etc., by phone. If it ain't in writing, it don't exist and can be misquoted/misunderstood/misrepresented - or simply a dead giveaway.

Never ever ignore. Retain and file letters and threatograms. Anything that is a genuine Letter Before Action must be responded to but get advice first.

There are very specific requirements for a parking company to successfully act in a case. They mostly fail so to do but it is up to the defendant to refute the claims. If you don't refute, you are deemed to accept.

The regulars on Pepipoo often tell it like it is. Don't be put off if replies are somewhat "to the point".

Some of the regulars are legally trained and may offer specific wordings. Resist the temptation to embroider or paraphrase.

Read a few cases - some are amusing and many will show you what you can achieve.

Watch out for advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau. I understand the parking industry "advised" them on their script. Go figure.

Oh, one final thing that seems to pop up with monotonous regularity is that people move, update their driving licence address but not the cars registration document (V5c). Sometimes the first they know is finding they have a CCJ on their credit record. If you move, update your driving licence AND your registration document!

Check out Pepipoo: forums.pepipoo.com

Last edited:
Not so long back I had a parking fine for my vehicle at the other end of the country, when I wasn't there! They sent a photo that was either cleverly faked or someone had cloned my plates (same vehicle type/colour). I successfully challenged it by:
  • Reporting the potential cloning to the Police - they said my legitimate vehicle may be stopped as my registration number was now in their system (I wasn't stopped).
  • I had images taken by the person who sold the vehicle to me showing different marking/stickers/scratches on the rear, supplemented by my own photographs.
  • I had video evidence of me driving into my work car park at the date/time of the alleged infringement, backed up by a letter from my boss.
  • I supported all this with a letter saying I'd be prepared to go to the parking ombudsman/court to nullify their claim and recover my own costs.

Nice one. Things like this are usually a plate misread but cloning does happen. Good that you could stomp on it.

One thing - a private parking ticket ain't a "fine" . It's just an invoice. - useful to remember if you have a hire car and the agreement says you are liable for all "fines" (but you might need to dig your heels in).

Nice one. Things like this are usually a plate misread but cloning does happen. Good that you could stomp on it.

One thing - a private parking ticket ain't a "fine" . It's just an invoice. - useful to remember if you have a hire car and the agreement says you are liable for all "fines" (but you might need to dig your heels in).

Mine was definately plate cloning - the picture was clear as day and no option for the plate to be misread (unless the image was faked)! You're right about the fine - poor word choice on my part.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom