• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

High Beam Lights

johnd973

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Our 5 LR is a year old now and I've started having problems with the auto high beam. It's turned into a constant battle to not dazzle other drivers. The car will turn the high beam on, often when they aren't needed, and then totally fail to turn them off when something comes the other way much to the annoyance of other drivers if I don't happen to notice they are on. When I turn the main beam off the car turns them back on shortly after. At times it looks like I'm a moving disco.

Anybody had similar problems or got any suggestions for a fix? Don't want to take it to the dealer unless I really have to because to be quite frank they are rubbish and its a 2 hour round trip!

On a slightly different tack do you think the standard factory fit headlights are fit for purpose? It’s really the only think I hate about the car. However, I see another thread related to this now, but can’t delete this comment.

Last edited:
Yes as I said in another blog I went to Halfords got 100% brighter lights and not led lights also the lady who fitted them did so brilliantly and cost total just under 60 pound no dirty hands or skin off my hands 😄 and they are better at night to really happy 👍

On a slightly different tack do you think the standard factory fit headlights are fit for purpose? It’s really the only think I hate about the car. However, I see another thread related to this now, but can’t delete this comment.
I find the lights OK, but having come from a car with LED lights, I miss the clarity they bring. I found the LEDs especially good at reflecting off of the eyes of deer waiting to pounce out at me!

The thing I find really bad is the interior lights. I can't see to put my son's seat belts on.

We have an MG4 Trophy, and have similar issues with the auto beam.. they turned on whenever they wanted, even where there were street lights and, most dangerously, where there were car either in front of us or coming towards us! We had to switch it off.
Dealership said it was yet another known issue with who knows what ETA to fix it

Turn Auto High beam off in the menus
I did this earlier today after a couple of incidents if them coming on when joining/leaving dual carriage ways and other places where it's not approriate.

Now my car likes to popup a message "auto main beam unavailable" over the digital speedo (I presume it would have switched them on at that point)

I did this earlier today after a couple of incidents if them coming on when joining/leaving dual carriage ways and other places where it's not approriate.

Now my car likes to popup a message "auto main beam unavailable" over the digital speedo (I presume it would have switched them on at that point)

I don't think so, I get this when there's low sun in the sky and it's glaring off the screen. I think it pops up when its determined it can't tell what's going on. I get it at the same spot of the road early mornings in the winter.

I don't think so, I get this when there's low sun in the sky and it's glaring off the screen. I think it pops up when its determined it can't tell what's going on. I get it at the same spot of the road early mornings in the winter.
You’d think they’d disable the message if the auto main beam function has been turned off in the settings anyway.

I’ll check the settings screen again next time I’m in the car just incase it’s turned back on or something

Mine is switched off as I had a few occasions of it blinding oncoming drivers, its logic was somewhat unpredictable and I would prefer manual control.

Finally gave in and took ours to the dealer. They tested the lights and have logged a call with MG for assistance as they can't get them working properly. Not hopeful of a fix any time soon but if I get one I'll let you all know!

Our 5 LR is a year old now and I've started having problems with the auto high beam. It's turned into a constant battle to not dazzle other drivers. The car will turn the high beam on, often when they aren't needed, and then totally fail to turn them off when something comes the other way much to the annoyance of other drivers if I don't happen to notice they are on. When I turn the main beam off the car turns them back on shortly after. At times it looks like I'm a moving disco.

Anybody had similar problems or got any suggestions for a fix? Don't want to take it to the dealer unless I really have to because to be quite frank they are rubbish and its a 2 hour round trip!
Have they been ok for the first 12 months and just started recently?

Have they been ok for the first 12 months and just started recently?
They worked ok for the first 10ish months and then seemed to get worse and worse with every trip. Ran the car with the auto lights disabled for a while but this resulted in a lot of annoying messages saying the auto high beam was not available.

They worked ok for the first 10ish months and then seemed to get worse and worse with every trip. Ran the car with the auto lights disabled for a while but this resulted in a lot of annoying messages saying the auto high beam was not available.
If they performed ok before it sounds like that something changed affecting their function? Others have said that they have never worked very well from new.

If they performed ok before it sounds like that something changed affecting their function? Others have said that they have never worked very well from new.
Wouldn't say mine were ever perfect but they did get noticeably worse. The dealer says the system is logging faults, they just aren't sure how to fix it so have asked MG for assistance.

Our car has become quite 'buggy' in the last few months and getting anything fixed is severely hampered by parts availability. So I'm considering cutting my losses and getting rid of it whilst resale prices are good (once it is fixed).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom