Home Charger Installation

RichardC

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I am looking for some advice please on a technical matter.

My new ZS arrives on Monday and I have sent all the required details to the company who are going to install the home charger.

I was able to see that the gas meter was bonded but I am unable to see if the water supply near the stop cock is bonded.

Will this cause a problem or can one be fitted? The stop cock is difficult to access but there is a remote access switch instead.

I am speaking to the installation company tomorrow but in the meant I would appreciate any advice.

Bonding is relatively easy - especially if your gas meter is already bonded.

I would think that when they bonded the gas pipe, they would have bonded the water pipe. I couldn't tell but when I went under my house, I eventually found it had been bonded at the section of the pipe where it enters my house from the main supply.

If you can, I'd check there or close to where the water pipe comes into your property. Otherwise, you can buy a bonding clamp for under £1 from a DIY shop/online and run an earth wire yourself to your Main Circuit Board, or wherever they've bonded your gas pipe to.

Obviously, if you're not confident, you can get an electrician to do it - I'd say maybe £40-ish?!

Unfortunately, both pipes need to be bonded for the installation of a home charger.

Cheers

Bloggsy

I seem to remember that my EV installer said that there is tick boxes that need completing to say that both the water and gas lines are both bonded with the correct size single core cable to qualify for the OLEV grant.
I had to pay the installer around £60 to bring both of my earth points up to the latest regs.
The water pipe enters the property in plastic, then straight after the main brass shut of tap, it converts over to copper pipe.
This is where the original bonding strap was located when the house was first built in the mid eighties.
It was bonded back to the consumer unit okay, but was seen as unsized to the latest regs.
This needed upgrading in size of cable.
The gas supply had no earth bonding line at all.
The boiler had been installed after a gas supply had been run into the village, after the house was built.
Therefore the EV installer had to install a fresh bonding cable and run it back to a main bonding connection post next to the consumer unit.
My EV installer paid a visit to my property about a week before he was due to install the wall box and we agreed a price for the extra work.
All of the work was done on the day of the install.
If the EV installer is unable to carry out a inspection of your present suitability for installing an EV unit, they will usually ask for loads of advanced info showing your current set up.
They like plenty of photos to eliminate as much as possible, any issues / hold up’s on the day of the install.
I would have expected them to have requested images of your incoming suppy line and the size of carrying capacity of the main fuse that protects the property ( e.g. :- 60 - 100 Amps ).
Images of your consumer unit and water and gas bonding as the bare minimum.
If they have spotted any issues that are likely to need extra work, I would have thought they would have contacted you by now ????.

Thanks for this.
I have sent them pictures of the fuse box and electricity meter. The gas meter is bonded. The house was built in the 1950’s but the kitchen installation was done around 2014 ( before we moved in).

I removed the kickboard under the sink unit but the only water pipe I can see is a plastic one that the remote switch connects to. I did read somewhere that the lead that bonds the gas meter can be extended to bond the water as well. The fuse box has a 100Amp fuse.

I only heard from the installers today via email so I have asked them to contact me tomorrow.

I just need to be patient.

Good news,

I have just heard back from the installation company and they have advised that it will be a standard installation.

Unfortunately the first available date is 24th June but we will be on holiday so it has been arranged for 2nd July.

So for the moment it will be a combination of the granny charger and public chargers.

Good news,

I have just heard back from the installation company and they have advised that it will be a standard installation.

Unfortunately the first available date is 24th June but we will be on holiday so it has been arranged for 2nd July.

So for the moment it will be a combination of the granny charger and public chargers.
That's great news! There'll be a few sleepless nights, waiting for your new toy(!), and then the next 'hurdle' will be to programme it for your cheap rate electricity! :ROFLMAO:

Cheers

Bloggsy

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom