Home chargers

Mick Evans

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
So I have been trying to work out the cost of a home charger vs diesel. With electric prices going up is now the best time to buy an EV?
Does it pay to have a home charger and can I set a charger to charge at a certain time?

My electric is on a fixed tariff until March then its a case of going on a variable rate( no fixed deals worth going for).

Thanks in advance

I think electricity is still slightly cheaper than diesel even at 45p per kilowatt hour, which is what a lot of rapid charging providers are currently charging. In my Nissan Leaf I can add on 60 miles of range for about £6, which would mean £48 to add 480 miles of range- about equivalent to a full tank of diesel in the Hyundai I sold a couple of years ago. Even back then it was costing me close to £60 to fill up. I am hoping domestic prices won't make it up to 45p per kw/h but you never know. If you're planning on a home charger the grant is going to be cut soon so now is the time to do so. I am having mine installed next week- there was no point with the Leaf as the battery is small but it will mean that charging the MG5 LR will be much easier. Most chargers have an app for you to set a charging window- the MG5 itself is unable to schedule a charge, although a lot of other EVs can.

Last edited:
Clio diesel 2004 real world average mpg over 14 years (130k miles) was 59.8mpg. Round here diesel currently £1.5 per litre so £6.75 per gallon so 11.3 p per mile.
MG5 9 month 7k miles average 3.5m/kWh which would make the Clio equivalent to 39.5p per kWh.
So the most expensive public rapid chargers are already more expensive than diesel.
On the other hand your average domestic tariff is half the price of diesel, Octopus go is about an eight of the price per mile and domestic solar is "free" if you ignore the capital cost (which you shouldn't of course)

For me, I'd sooner be driving a smooth, quick, quiet and environmentally friendly EV than a small 60mpg ICE car. And other running costs tend to be cheaper (tax, servicing).

Clio diesel 2004 real world average mpg over 14 years (130k miles) was 59.8mpg. Round here diesel currently £1.5 per litre so £6.75 per gallon so 11.3 p per mile.
MG5 9 month 7k miles average 3.5m/kWh which would make the Clio equivalent to 39.5p per kWh.
So the most expensive public rapid chargers are already more expensive than diesel.
On the other hand your average domestic tariff is half the price of diesel, Octopus go is about an eight of the price per mile and domestic solar is "free" if you ignore the capital cost (which you shouldn't of course)
I guess my figures looked slightly more favourable because my Hyundai was only about 48mpg and also my average efficiency on the Leaf is 4.5 m/kWh. I realise this is likely to go down with the MG5 being a bigger, heavier car and having a more powerful motor.

Clio diesel vs MG5 doesn't seem to be a very fair comparison though.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom