Home Wall Charger

Point of order - the ONLY charger is built into the car. A wall box is merely a (usually smart) charge point. :)

As to which one is best for you - this depends on your circumstances, which energy supplier you use, whether you have access to lower price periods, the layout of your property etc.

Check with your electricity supplier, they may have preferred models but other than that, go with what you can afford best. When it comes down to it they all just supply power to the charger in your car.
The only proviso would be to check the main incoming fuse into your house or get someone to do it for you, you want 100 amps if possible to run a 7kw wall box and other stuff in your home. If yours is smaller, you could get in changed or have your wallbox downrated. 3.5kw will charge your car overnight quite happily in most cases.

I've just had mine uprated from 60amp to 80amp. Only if you've got other high usage items, like storage heaters would you need 100amp and most home EV Charger instillations (hope that terminology is OK siteguru and smokie 😁 ) have a sensor attached to the main supply so they can adjust their power if necessary.

most home EV Charger instillations (hope that terminology is OK siteguru and smokie 😁 )
This is an instillation: ;)

instillation.JPG

Thanks all.

I have 100A into the house.
Layout of the house is very traditional. Driveway and garage next to house etc.
I’m with EcoTricity on 35p per kWh 24h per day.

I was thinking of moving to Octopus, but they’re recommending to all not to switch. Don’t really understand why. Anyone know why?

Would I be better off switching to Octopus?

I’m getting an MG4 next week.

Thanks all.

I have 100A into the house.
Layout of the house is very traditional. Driveway and garage next to house etc.
I’m with EcoTricity on 35p per kWh 24h per day.

I was thinking of moving to Octopus, but they’re recommending to all not to switch. Don’t really understand why. Anyone know why?

Would I be better off switching to Octopus?

I’m getting an MG4 next week.
Those that have changed recently have spoken to Octopus on the phone and explained they are getting an EV and wish to have their EV tariff.

Octopus have been a bit overwhelmed with the intake of Bulb customers, I'm not suggesting that's the reason they are saying to not change but their customer services (and I guess other systems) have been struggling to keep up (and yet still aren't that bad!)

Octopus have for a long time said to stick with your current supplier but they will switch you if you have an EV or one on order.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom