How does Find My Car work?

mickw

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
On the facelifted MG5 the iSmart app has find my car feature, which seems to have 2 modes :

1. If car is some distance away you get a map directing you to the approximate location.
How does this work? Assuming the car does not itself have data connection, I presume it relies on the phone having been connected to the car when it was left and the last location is kep on the phone. Is that right?

2. If car is nearby a button can be pressed on app to make car honk/flash.
How does this work? Surely the phone can only communicate with the car by bluetooth but that would require it to be very close by.

Sorry if these are dumb questions - Am I missing something?

Ismart has a SIM card for OTA updates and find my car. It even works as a Wi-Fi hotspot or so the dealer tells me.

Ismart has a SIM card for OTA updates and find my car. It even works as a Wi-Fi hotspot or so the dealer tells me.
Great, thanks.

Reason for my question was that my dealer told me the car didn't have any data capability of its own, and a hotspot was effectively just making the network data capability of the plugged-in phone available to other phones in the car.

I hope your dealer is right particularly about the hotspot as if so it seems like it'd be possible to use the car's own data for media, satnav traffic reports etc without using up data from driver's own phone.
Is there anyone in the know who can give a definitve opinion of this please?

Surely the hotspot is unlikely, someone usually has to pay for data.
Apparently on the MG4 the sim data is free and unlimited with no expiry date mentioned.
Maybe it's the same for the new 5 ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom