How far can electric cars go in Winter?

fshuk1

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hhere is some more data for you. May be rubbish data and click bait, may be not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our 5LR in summer shows up to 270 miles in summer but at -3c it's down to 214 miles.
Most owners will never actually drive their cars to the point where they know by practical experience the real-world range that they have achieved.
The discussions generally centre around what the predicted mileage is saying, which we all know can be way off what you actually get.
A far better way of thinking is to focus on what miles/kWh you realistically and consistently achieve and having a really good idea what you will get on a typical journey - then multiply this by usable battery capacity.
For example on a motorway in winter at 70mph you may be down to 2.5m/KwHr (and know this from your practical historic use), if your useable capacity is say 50 kWh then you’ll struggle to get more than 125miles range on this type of journey - regardless of what the gom tells you.
Slower journey in summer where you are using the economy of an EV more, you might push an average of 5m/KwHr giving 250miles Real world range.
this MG4 range predictor is useful to have a play with…

My experience (47k miles in an MG5 SR) is that I lose on average 30% range in cold weather.
Summer average for me is 200-220 and in normal winter driving at 10c I get about 170 miles, dropping to 150ish at 0c

This summer past my best range was close on 250 miles (wltp is 214), this was a very hot day driving in slow traffic avg 45mph.
Worst case, last week with the temperature 6-8 below I dropped to about 130 miles :cry:

I work it out this way. I measure distance gone by battery % used since that's pretty easy, i.e. 100 miles gone with 50% left = 200 miles range.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom