How NOT to encourage electric vehicle take up!

TassiedEVil

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
This is the latest Australian incentive to encourage the uptake of EVs - a distance based tax, starting in July.
At this stage, it only affects the state of Victoria, but I can see the other state treasurers popping up like interested meerkats and getting their legislation ready.
I don’t object to paying extra - death and taxes etc - HOWEVER the argument that this revenue will be ploughed back into the road system leaves me scratching my head. We have the lowest uptake of EVs in the OECD - there are pretty much no subsidies on offer to sweeten the purchase of these relatively expensive vehicles - so I would have thought a tax at this stage is rather ....stupid???😳😡🤦‍♀️

Very Stupid, but insures the Victorian government gets the money before it is collected by the federal government and is used for every thing else but roads.
Like yourself l don't object if its used for its intended purpose, is reported and audited in a transparent manner.
The diesel and petrol fuel tax currently is 10c Aud (5.6 PenceSterling) per KM for a vehicle averaging 7.5 litres per 100 km (60 ml).
This replacement ev tax for roads is 2.5c Aud per KM (1.4 PenceSterling).

In all my wife's MG ZS EV this will mean for 20,000 kms p/a $500 (EV road tax) + $450 Rego = $950 (£277 + £250 = £527)
Her old Peugeot on similar figures of 20k kms paid $2000 (£1110) in diesel road tax and rego was $700 (£388)

So.......... Still on top and happy to tell those petrol heads that we are paying our fair share for roads, just not so much as they do especially when sitting in traffic :)
Hope that wasn't overload (dropped in Pence Sterling & Pound Sterling for our northern cousins)

Very Stupid, but insures the Victorian government gets the money before it is collected by the federal government and is used for every thing else but roads.
Like yourself l don't object if its used for its intended purpose, is reported and audited in a transparent manner.
The diesel and petrol fuel tax currently is 10c Aud (5.6 PenceSterling) per KM for a vehicle averaging 7.5 litres per 100 km (60 ml).

In all my wife's MG ZS EV this will mean for 20,000 kms p/a $500 (EV road tax) + $450 Rego = $950 (£277 + £250 = £527)
Her old Peugeot on similar figures of 20k kms paid $2000 (£1110) in diesel road tax and rego was $700 (£388)

So.......... Still on top and happy to tell those petrol heads that we are paying our fair share for roads, just not so much as they do especially when sitting in traffic :)
Hope that wasn't overload (dropped in Pence Sterling & Pound Sterling for our northern cousins)
Great maths GeoffNewport! Thank you - I feel so much better now...🤨
Yes, agreed - at the moment, things are good - we are ahead and of course, no tailpipe emissions can only be a good thing. I’d like the money put into more charging infrastructure - we’re enjoying no queues at chargers at present, but with more EVS, comes more vehicles wanting to charge!!
That said, it is sort of fun being an EV ’pioneer’🧐. A friend has an old 1920s map of Tassie roads, showing all the refuelling details needed to make an automobile journey - miles between stations, name of owners, closing hours and who to contact if they were closed - sort of a 1920s paper version of PlugShare!

Please note: we are your masters, not cousins! 😂

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom