How to drive an electric?

Hello,
all my life I've always driven petrol cars with manual shift. The automatic EV will be a welcome and comfortable ride for sure, but I'm a bit worried about how to drive it. I'll have to learn a few things from scratch. For example, without the leftmost shift pedal, how are you supposed to use the brake? Right foot for both pedals, like now, or right for accelerating and left for braking when needed? Is it hard to gauge the speed, since there is no motor noise to go by?
Probably silly questions, I know, but it's a new world for me.

You will just settle on what feels right for you pretty soon.

Your OP was last Thursday, so your probably already an expert!

I barely touch the brake and just leave my foot on the rest.

Regen 3, means that the car is very eager to slow down.

You will soon adapt to this and it will become second nature.

If it's too harsh, you can lessen the effect to suit you.

I can't understand why you would try and use both your feet.

Karting yes, when you need to be instantly changing from braking to acceleration and vice versa, but an EV?

Seems unessasary to me, but hey!
Each to their own and whatever works for you.

I swapped from manual to automatic for a while first and then between the two for a while. Automatic to EV is more straight forward than manual to automatic I found.
My scariest experience was coming home, exhausted one night, heading up off a very quiet dark A30, up the slip road, automatically dropping a gear to use engine breaking as I approached the island at the top of the slip road.... Unfortunately I was in an automatic Mitsubishi Delica!! ( reverse😱) It slowed down alright 🫣.
I took a deep breath, swallowed and started her up again. No problemo... and I was wide awake again. Helped me retain focus ever since. Currently swap between manual / EV daily. No problems. Never used left foot in automatics or EVs.

I swapped from manual to automatic for a while first and then between the two for a while. Automatic to EV is more straight forward than manual to automatic I found.
My scariest experience was coming home, exhausted one night, heading up off a very quiet dark A30, up the slip road, automatically dropping a gear to use engine breaking as I approached the island at the top of the slip road.... Unfortunately I was in an automatic Mitsubishi Delica!! ( reverse😱) It slowed down alright 🫣.
I took a deep breath, swallowed and started her up again. No problemo... and I was wide awake again. Helped me retain focus ever since. Currently swap between manual / EV daily. No problems. Never used left foot in automatics or EVs.
The mayor of Derby did a similar thing many years ago. It was at the launch of the Rover SD1 diesel automatic at Donnington race circuit.
They had brought along the only pre production automatic car in existence and the mayor put the car into what they thought was fifth at 70 mph. The gearbox thought "stuff this" and left the vehicle.

You will just settle on what feels right for you pretty soon.

Your OP was last Thursday, so your probably already an expert!

I barely touch the brake and just leave my foot on the rest.

Regen 3, means that the car is very eager to slow down.

You will soon adapt to this and it will become second nature.

If it's too harsh, you can lessen the effect to suit you.

I can't understand why you would try and use both your feet.

Karting yes, when you need to be instantly changing from braking to acceleration and vice versa, but an EV?

Seems unessasary to me, but hey!
Each to their own and whatever works for you.
I tried it once in my first automatic, 1985 Ford Granada ( I loved that car ) & id say forget about unessasary, it felt unsafe, just didn’t feel natural, never tried it since. Unless the car has a clutch, then I just forget about my left foot.

Obviously this is just me, if it works & feels better for you then fair play.

Forget about your left foot. Automatics need only your right foot. Using your left is totally unnecessary. You'll finish up with your feet in a knot. And that's not good. It will become second nature after a while. 🙂👍
True, until you get back in a ordinary car/van and come to a juddering halt at the first junction with the gearbox in 3rd and your stationary left foot planted in the footwell. The unsaying looks of passer-by's and fellow road users suggesting you are an idiot. Not that it has ever happened to me of course, no no no, oh! alright once or twice.:sleep:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom