How to remove interior light housing

Aussi55

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi,

Does anyone know how to remove the interior light housing in the roof liner?

I've carefully used a trim removal tool and felt round it, seems to have lugs at the front and back.

Didn't want to apply too much pressure in case I broke something.

I'd like to get behind to see clearance for running a cable to the rear dash cam as it has side airbags feel it's best to avoid the side of the liner.

Assuming the unit pulls out as a whole.

Attachments

• IMG_20230316_135428526_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230316_135428526_HDR.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 149
Gen2 ZS EV less sun roof yours ?.
I have removed the complete assembly in the Gen1 with sun roof, but not the Gen2 model with sun roof sorry.
On the Gen1 model, the whole surround is held in place with white plastic tabs, as you correctly suggest.
I seem to remember going slowly around the housing with a flat plastic trim tool, then with a small electric screw driver, carefully pushed in the plastic tabs one by one.
Keeping light down ward pressure on the surround.
As each tab is released, it allows you to get the tip of your fingers, between the white plastic trim and the head liner.
Follow the surround until all tabs have been depressed and the surround should release.
The Gen2 is different to the Gen1 surround of course.
I am just wondering if it is covered in the manual because there is interior lights in that surround ???.

Thanks for your help. Yes it's facelift without sunroof. Also have trophy with sunroof.

I think you are spot on, gradually ease it out then push lugs in.

I will have another go when I feel up to it.

Decided to fit front camera as existing one started playing up.

Will keep you posted.

Gen2 ZS EV less sun roof yours ?.
I have removed the complete assembly in the Gen1 with sun roof, but not the Gen2 model with sun roof sorry.
On the Gen1 model, the whole surround is held in place with white plastic tabs, as you correctly suggest.
I seem to remember going slowly around the housing with a flat plastic trim tool, then with a small electric screw driver, carefully pushed in the plastic tabs one by one.
Keeping light down ward pressure on the surround.
As each tab is released, it allows you to get the tip of your fingers, between the white plastic trim and the head liner.
Follow the surround until all tabs have been depressed and the surround should release.
The Gen2 is different to the Gen1 surround of course.
I am just wondering if it is covered in the manual because there is interior lights in that surround ???.
THANKS !

weve a Gen 2 inc sunroof - tried my plastic pry kit but it was SOOoo tight I chickened (too soon it appears.

IM fitting led strip light around sunroof edge to improve lighting for rear pasengers.

Phil

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom