Hs PHEV insurance premiums

As someone pointed out to me electric heaters use a lot of power on a 12v battery system.
Sorry, this is incorrect.
The cabin heater element on a pure EV 's is powered by the HV inverter / traction battery, the blower fan motor however IS powered by the 12 volt battery under the bonnet.
The 12 volt battery is incapable of supplying the high demand required to power the cabin heater element.
This can be seen by observing the orange high voltage cables that run to the heater element.
Here is a photo taken from a Tesla that clearly show the high voltage cables.

Tesla HV heater wiring 2021-06-24 at 21.09.38.png

Sorry, this is incorrect.
The cabin heater element on a pure EV 's is powered by the HV inverter / traction battery, the blower fan motor however IS powered by the 12 volt battery under the bonnet.
The 12 volt battery is incapable of supplying the high demand required to power the cabin heater element.
This can be seen by observing the orange high voltage cables that run to the heater element.
Here is a photo taken from a Tesla that clearly show the high voltage cables.

View attachment 18523
Ok. I wonder why on my MG phev as soon as I change the heater temp above 20deg the ICE motor kicks in, With the temp on low 20 deg and under, I can start and switch sraight to EV mode before even moving and drive all the way and back to my destination in EV but as soon as I put the temp up the ICE motor kicks in for a while.

Ok. I wonder why on my MG phev as soon as I change the heater temp above 20deg the ICE motor kicks in, With the temp on low 20 deg and under, I can start and switch sraight to EV mode before even moving and drive all the way and back to my destination in EV but as soon as I put the temp up the ICE motor kicks in for a while.
The logic will decide it is better to run the engine to create the heat required.

Unfortunately this is way the HVAC system has been designed on the HS I believe.
When heat is desired for the cabin, I guess it must be provided from heat obtained from the cooling system of the ICE like in many fossil cars.
So to do this, the water has to be heated by inducing the ICE to heat that water.
When the requirement for heat in the cabin has been satisfied, it will turn off the ICE and then allow the driver access to pure EV mode.
Unless max power is required and the ICE will automatically fire up again.
Learning to feather the “Go” pedal will help prevent the ICE from cutting it, but it’s unavoidable if you require heat for the cabin.
The system used on the VW PHEV is extremely clever and overcomes this problem.
It basically has two heater cores, one is provided by water, while it also has an electric resistor heater.
Meaning that you are able to heat the cabin without first running the ICE.
There is a thermostatic value that monitors the heat from the engine and if the ICE is running, it sits down the electric element on the heater to save on range.
A very clever piece of engineering.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom