I scratch my MG!!!

Andy006

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all MG owners.
As you can see "I scratched my MG!!!" I washed my one year old MG EV ZS uplift today and used my silicon water scraper as always and as I was wiping the water off the bonnet it made a horrible noise! A small piece of grit must have been under the blade, so I now have a curved scratch going right across my beautiful car.
I have tried T Cut but not worked! The car had the GardX coating put on from new.
My question is! What is the best way to get rid of the scratch and will this damage the GardX coating?
I read on YouTube using fine sanding paper 5000 grit! I am worried I will make it worse.
Please help me.
Andy

If the scratch is too deep for T-Cut to work, you probably need a professional repair.

As Alb says if T-Cut won't remove it get a professional to do it. A detailer might be able to polish it out or you could try Color Magic to disguise it but I wouldn't try emery paper of any grit unless I was confident of not making it worse.

driveway repair... plenty of them on the internet... check the reviews and fill in an online form for a price... don't forget to give them the paintcode, usuaally on the drivers door jam, as the metallic MG colours aren't usually a stock item as it's a pearlescent 3 pack system.

Hi, I have polished many scratches out over the years using an electric car polisher and a maguires compound.
We live on a main road and drunk youngsters occasionally key a few on their way back to their pit!

I use a cheapish polisher I got from screwfix. Mostly scratches look deep but haven’t gone too far through. Even deep ones are often only deep in a small part of the overall scratch and can be significantly improved.

I found you need to take your time as it slowly removes the scratch. There are pretty good YouTube vids of detailers doing it (as well as the wet&dry emery versions which I haven’t done).
I wet the panel, dot 5 spots of maguires on the polishing pad and start on a low speed to get the polish across the area and a little wider. Don’t start the polisher until it’s touching the paint as it will spray outward lol.

When its all got some polish on, I speed it up and go across ‘slowly’ in straight lines, I go for about ten slow passes, snaking back and forth like a folded up caterpillar.

I then use a buffing cloth to see the result, and if some is still their, I repeat.

Good luck.

Here’s the one I use:

Actually my model is challenge xtreme dw 1804 but looks identical

I would eat rid of that blade and use a large micro fibre towel to dry off your car in the future.
You need to establish if it’s the clear coat that is scratched or if has gone right through to the coloured base coat.
If so, no amount of polishing will remove it.
Take a look at this guys work for some useful tips and tricks.
I will include just one of his videos but he has many worth viewing.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom