ICEd EV Chargers in Bletchley, feedback from the Parking Team

fatboyfat1981

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
This one is a bit unusual, context is that I’d written a polite snottagram about the fast charge bays in Bletchley (by the Burger King) being almost constantly ICEd. Reply from the parking people is as follows:

The Electric Vehicle chargers in the Bletchley car park were installed to future proof the area in preparation for when there are a greater number of electric vehicles needing to use the facilities. With parking spaces in such high demand in this car park, it was not felt appropriate to limit the use of these bays to EV Only at this point in time because the impact on general parking would be too great.

When demand for EV only bays has increased, we propose to revisit limiting the use of these bays. Feedback from our most recent consultation on EV charging point locations in other areas around Milton Keynes has indicated that limiting EV charging bays to EV only at this point in time is not welcomed.”

Eejuts is all I can say to that.
Quite. There is a certain chicken-egg scenario going on, along with presumably the Charging Networks not seeing much use out of their expensively installed chargers.

Looking at the positive, I was surprised at having a very quick response that appeared to have been written by an actual human.

Quite. There is a certain chicken-egg scenario going on, along with presumably the Charging Networks not seeing much use out of their expensively installed chargers.

Looking at the positive, I was surprised at having a very quick response that appeared to have been written by an actual human.
Definitely a chicken egg thing. If ICE'd then not used, if not used then no point in enforcing EVs only and round and round.......

I didn't know quite what to ask ChatGPT so I asked "explain why a company won't enforce no parking for ICE cars at electric charging bays". Sorry for the long post, all without a human involved and it took me longer to copy/paste than it took to produce. :) Clever stuff...

Firstly, enforcing such a policy can be challenging and costly for a company, as it may require additional resources for monitoring and enforcement. Moreover, it may be inconvenient for ICE car owners who may not be aware of the restrictions or may not have alternative parking options available.
Additionally, companies may not want to risk losing customers or business by enforcing strict rules that could be seen as too inconvenient or harsh. By allowing ICE cars to park at charging bays, a company can avoid potential conflict and negative customer experiences, which could lead to a loss of business or reputation.
Moreover, companies may prioritize providing a positive customer experience over enforcing strict rules, as they recognize the importance of customer satisfaction in building brand loyalty and repeat business.
A better solution may be for companies to provide designated parking spots for EVs only, with clear signage and communication to ensure that ICE car owners are aware of the restrictions. Additionally, incentives for EV ownership, such as free or reduced-cost charging, may encourage more people to switch to EVs, ultimately reducing the demand for ICE car parking spots.
Overall, while enforcing a no parking policy for ICE cars at charging bays may seem like a solution, there are other ways that companies can encourage the adoption of EVs and reduce carbon emissions, without risking the loss of business or customer satisfaction.

but I wanted it as a poem so I got

Enforcing rules is not always wise
As it may lead to conflict and despise
Companies seek to please their customers well,
And risk losing business if they tell
ICE car owners they cannot park,
At charging bays, which may leave a mark.

A better solution can be found,
Without strict rules that may confound.
Designated parking spots for EVs,
With clear signage that everyone sees,
Can help ensure EV owners can charge,
Without ICE cars taking up the space large.

Incentives too can play a role,
In encouraging more EVs to enroll.
Reduced charging fees or even free,
Can help make the switch a reality.
A positive customer experience,
Is what companies seek to dispense.

So they may prioritize this above,
Enforcing rules that seem too tough.
By promoting EVs and clean air,
Companies can show they care.
Without risking the loss of customer satisfaction,
Or negative impact on their reputation.

So let us strive for a greener world,
Where clean energy is unfurled.
With solutions that work for all,
And no one left to take the fall.

But then I remembered I do like a good old limerick.

A company faced a tough call,
When ICE cars parked by charging stalls,
Enforcing a rule,
Could be seen as cruel,
And lead to a customer free fall.

To please customers was their aim,
And not to risk a loss of acclaim,
So designated spots,
For EVs in lots,
With incentives to fuel the EV flame.

Enforcing rules can be a tough feat,
And leave customers feeling beat,
By promoting clean air,
With solutions that are fair,
A greener future we can all meet.

This one is a bit unusual, context is that I’d written a polite snottagram about the fast charge bays in Bletchley (by the Burger King) being almost constantly ICEd. Reply from the parking people is as follows:

The Electric Vehicle chargers in the Bletchley car park were installed to future proof the area in preparation for when there are a greater number of electric vehicles needing to use the facilities. With parking spaces in such high demand in this car park, it was not felt appropriate to limit the use of these bays to EV Only at this point in time because the impact on general parking would be too great.

When demand for EV only bays has increased, we propose to revisit limiting the use of these bays. Feedback from our most recent consultation on EV charging point locations in other areas around Milton Keynes has indicated that limiting EV charging bays to EV only at this point in time is not welcomed.”
Just training the BK lounge bitties to park wherever...🤷🏻‍♂️

How will they measure when "demand has increased" ? Punch ups in the car park? Militant scrotes in old saxos doing a park-in?

Head in sand, tail wagging the dog shurely?

It might be worth notifying the provider of the charger; assuming they are paid for chargers they will be losing revenue. I would imagine they would want parking by ev cars only and it may have been part of the agreement when they agreed to install the chargers.

A big part of this is probably the parking company doesn’t want the headache of enforcing this.

Are there not signs up saying ev only?

It might be worth notifying the provider of the charger; assuming they are paid for chargers they will be losing revenue. I would imagine they would want parking by ev cars only and it may have been part of the agreement when they agreed to install the chargers.

A big part of this is probably the parking company doesn’t want the headache of enforcing this.

Are there not signs up saying ev only?
Not thought to contact BP Pulse, that might be an interesting idea…

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom