Increase available space in MG4

RayPalmer

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Since Xmas 2023, I have been looking to increase the amount of available storage space there is in the 2023 MG4.
The area between the floating ledge and cubby between the seats shows that there is room for a 3D printed accessory which would allow for more storage.
Today I have a working prototype installed in my MG4 Long Range, which has greatly increased the space I can store stuff. I like to call it the "MG4 Space Maker"

As you can see by the attached picture it has:
  • A draw to store some small items (like USBs, Micro SD Cards, coins, pens, etc)
  • A place to more securely hold onto you phone. It has a recess to hold a USB wireless charger I got from Woolies (only 10W, but is good for now).
  • Has a place for my bluetooth keyboard (next to cubby in pictures).
  • Has lights for the passenger and driver.
  • Has a place to hold my Carlink Wireless Box. It has a press switch to reset the power to it so that it can re-boot (next to the drivers LED). This was needed as I too found the MG4 notorious for taking too long to start and thus leaving the Carlink not connected, but since I can press the switch it starts all the time (albeit a little longer then desired). Also has the benefit of not needing to reach under the floating ledge just to disconnect and reconnect all the time.
  • Has a light for the original cup holders to see what is there if anything.
  • Has a location for my remote Garage FOB so that I no longer need to have it on the keys.
  • Has a holder for the keys under the lid.
  • Make the original sliding door a hiding place for stuff.
  • Has an internal light so you can see what is in the new storage area.
  • Cup Holders which can be moved to allow for easier access or for what ever position you are comfortable with. These cup holders can be any size you like (up to a point). You could even create custom ones in what ever design suits your fancy. Mine Has a custom logo on the base.
There is a custom plate for the switches which identifies my MG4.... nice. I am looking to make it translucent or back lit for more appeal.

While it is not anywhere near complete, I feel I now have a much more satisfying feel I can store more with out worrying where I need to put things.
On a side note the sliding lid does become a useful place to put things like food (rather than having it sitting it between your legs) or as a place to have a writing pad to take some notes or in my case using the bluetooth keyboard.

All of this has been done in FreeCAD and printed on my Anycubic I3 Mega and Kobra 2 Max. It will be open to all who have the means to make the case.

Attachments

• cup holder with logo.jpg
    cup holder with logo.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 254
  • FreeCAD prototype.jpg
    FreeCAD prototype.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 270
  • MG4_SpaceMaster_Prototype1.jpg
    MG4_SpaceMaster_Prototype1.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 271
  • MG4_SpaceMaster_Prototype2.jpg
    MG4_SpaceMaster_Prototype2.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 271
Since Xmas 2023, I have been looking to increase the amount of available storage space there is in the 2023 MG4.
The area between the floating ledge and cubby between the seats shows that there is room for a 3D printed accessory which would allow for more storage.
Today I have a working prototype installed in my MG4 Long Range, which has greatly increased the space I can store stuff. I like to call it the "MG4 Space Maker"

As you can see by the attached picture it has:
  • A draw to store some small items (like USBs, Micro SD Cards, coins, pens, etc)
  • A place to more securely hold onto you phone. It has a recess to hold a USB wireless charger I got from Woolies (only 10W, but is good for now).
  • Has a place for my bluetooth keyboard (next to cubby in pictures).
  • Has lights for the passenger and driver.
  • Has a place to hold my Carlink Wireless Box. It has a press switch to reset the power to it so that it can re-boot (next to the drivers LED). This was needed as I too found the MG4 notorious for taking too long to start and thus leaving the Carlink not connected, but since I can press the switch it starts all the time (albeit a little longer then desired). Also has the benefit of not needing to reach under the floating ledge just to disconnect and reconnect all the time.
  • Has a light for the original cup holders to see what is there if anything.
  • Has a location for my remote Garage FOB so that I no longer need to have it on the keys.
  • Has a holder for the keys under the lid.
  • Make the original sliding door a hiding place for stuff.
  • Has an internal light so you can see what is in the new storage area.
  • Cup Holders which can be moved to allow for easier access or for what ever position you are comfortable with. These cup holders can be any size you like (up to a point). You could even create custom ones in what ever design suits your fancy. Mine Has a custom logo on the base.
There is a custom plate for the switches which identifies my MG4.... nice. I am looking to make it translucent or back lit for more appeal.

While it is not anywhere near complete, I feel I now have a much more satisfying feel I can store more with out worrying where I need to put things.
On a side note the sliding lid does become a useful place to put things like food (rather than having it sitting it between your legs) or as a place to have a writing pad to take some notes or in my case using the bluetooth keyboard.

All of this has been done in FreeCAD and printed on my Anycubic I3 Mega and Kobra 2 Max. It will be open to all who have the means to make the case.
I am glad someone has looked at this as it is the obvious place to add storage and it is a shame MG don't have snap-in accessories to provide additional storage.

I do feel that the pedestal area is badly designed:
  • Pedestal takes up tons of space and encroaches on knee room yet is almost never used except at the start and end of every journey.
  • Cup holders should be at the other end, by the arm rest and then don't have too far to reach and pedestal over them.
  • Thin storage tray could have been a lot deeper and more useful.

I am glad someone has looked at this as it is the obvious place to add storage and it is a shame MG don't have snap-in accessories to provide additional storage.

I do feel that the pedestal area is badly designed:
  • Pedestal takes up tons of space and encroaches on knee room yet is almost never used except at the start and end of every journey.
  • Cup holders should be at the other end, by the arm rest and then don't have too far to reach and pedestal over them.
  • Thin storage tray could have been a lot deeper and more useful.
I agree the pedestal (floating ledge) does not look good from a design and yes it does make it awkward to get in to the drivers seat as the ledge can often be knocked by a tall person.

Attached is the zip of the current unit less cups and lid panels.
For those who want to see it, just google FreeCAD. Install it (its open source and free). Open the object.

Attachments

• MG4_CenterConsoleSpaceMaker V13.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 59
I agree the pedestal (floating ledge) does not look good from a design and yes it does make it awkward to get in to the drivers seat as the ledge can often be knocked by a tall person.
I must get into the car differently to you as I've never been close to knocking the floating ledge and I'm 6ft 2in 😁

Nope its not.
I sure admire you put in a lot of thought into this project. I really hope, this makes your everyday experience more enjoyable.
Nevertheless I'd like to point out some personal obervations. (beeing an engineer with a 3D printer myself).

I find that many 3D printed modifications/additions fail to reflect the design language of the original hardware. (In my opinion) Modification should blend in with the existing shapes and dimensions.
This is also very true for the choice of colors. I may be very strict here but:) Why not use dark grey or black for such a part?

I feel like following this may give you more acceptence among non tinkering regular car users.

Don't let me crush your enthusiasm!

I sure admire you put in a lot of thought into this project. I really hope, this makes your everyday experience more enjoyable.
Nevertheless I'd like to point out some personal obervations. (beeing an engineer with a 3D printer myself).

I find that many 3D printed modifications/additions fail to reflect the design language of the original hardware. (In my opinion) Modification should blend in with the existing shapes and dimensions.
This is also very true for the choice of colors. I may be very strict here but:) Why not use dark grey or black for such a part?

I feel like following this may give you more acceptence among non tinkering regular car users.

Don't let me crush your enthusiasm!
The choice of colours is not that important right now as the model is a 'prototype' where the models fit is more important the what colour it is. It is getting closer to being more 'fit', but more changes to its basic design are still in play (like making some glued bits part of the print in one go).
Yes, a more suitable choice of colours would be appropriate. However, PETG filament availability right now is not easy for 'grey'. I was intending it to be either an 'silver' or a darker shade of blue to match the seat covers I put into the car. I was even thinking of having Orange highlights to match the colour of my car. Once the model is fully complete, I guess people can choose what ever colour they want.
As for blending in the shape, that would be my next direction to make the model more fluid to the existing curves so as to make it look like it belongs there.
While many colours of ABS are apparently readily available, my printers are not enclosed and so ABS will not print well in the open air (the part will warp or even separate). The shroud I am building for the larger printer is nearer to completion in which I can test it with larger models to see if this will avoid ABS printing issues. For now I am limited to open air printing of PETG which can handle car temps on most days where the internal temp could rise to about 60-70 DegC, but ABS is preferred and PLA is a no-go as that warps on even mild temp days.

It's under the bonnet ... nobody will see it except you (and anyone who sneaks a peak whilst you have the bonnet open). So who really cares about the colour? 🤷‍♂️

Just my 2c

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom