Infotainment screen just died - what's your experience?

John Sauve Rodd

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Screen died tho' reversing camera pic still works. The infotainment screen has had it's odd moments in the 15m I've owned the MG ZS EV but suddenly died. It's in for a repair soon but I'd appreciate members' comments/experiences. Otherwise the car is a delight.

Have you tried re-booting it?

I have had to re-boot a couple of times to get a connection to Android Auto. Not had a blank screen problem though.

Reboot? Like a computer? I don't know how. Please advise if you do! And thanks.
Yep - Just like a computer!.
Press a hold down the silver button head unit until it reboots the system completely.
If this fails, you can try the famous 10mm spanner 🔧 trick.
Lift the bonnet and by using a 10mm spanner on the negative terminal, remove the terminal and leave it disconnected for about ten minutes.
Then reconnect the terminal and tighten down.
Now try booting up the car and see if it has cured the problem.
There is a software update for head unit in the ZS EV only at moment.
It was released about 6 - 8 weeks ago and is covered under service bulletin SA0020.
This was released in order to avoid the head unit from crashing.
A few owners have had it done, and it improves the responce time of the unit.

You can also drop out the passenger glovebox and disconnect the wires from the silver box behind there. I forget the technical term, but it drives the info system apparently ;-)

Isn't there an easier solution..?

Like taking out a fuse or something for all you EV owners ?

Press a hold down the silver button head unit until it reboots the system completely.
Lift the bonnet and by using a 10mm spanner on the negative terminal, remove the terminal and leave it disconnected for about ten minutes.
It was released about 6 - 8 weeks ago and is covered under service bulletin SA0020.
Silver button head? That's open for interpretation. Please explain - I assume this is the knob with black outer silver centre below the screen but comfirm pls. Again, thank you.

Silver button head? That's open for interpretation. Please explain - I assume this is the knob with black outer silver centre below the screen but comfirm pls. Again, thank you.
Sorry - Yeah that’s the one !.
The one you use to turn on or off / adjust the volume on the head unit.
When the unit locks up and does not recover, press and hold down this button until the unit reboots back to the main MG opening screen.

Yes, did that, twice. The silver MG logo appeared . . . then disappeard and nothing changed. It's a pain driving with no sound but the dealer is attending to it and giving me a courtesy car. I'll let the forum know the outcome.

Hi Lovemyev, sorry for the delay. Dealer (FG Barnes, Canterbury) checked sw updates (zilch) and concluded I needed a new screen and said 'It's auite common'. That was almost 2 weeks ago . . . It's not fun driving without Apple Car Play or the radio but my iPhone 12 and the absence of ICE noise means I do OK.

That’s interesting regarding the software update being on the service bulletin. I had mine serviced yesterday and was told no updates were needed.

That’s interesting regarding the software update being on the service bulletin. I had mine serviced yesterday and was told no updates were needed.
Why does that NOT really shock me !.
Ask them to recheck, as MG have released a software update about 4 weeks ago for the ZS EV only.
Covered on MG Service Bulletin SA0020 this is the info head unit update.
They need to stay behind after class, for extra homework.

Why does that NOT really shock me !.
Ask them to recheck, as MG have released a software update about 4 weeks ago for the ZS EV only.
Covered on MG Service Bulletin SA0020 this is the info head unit update.
They need to stay behind after class, for extra homework.
Thanks will ask them to check again. Is there a link or a website which describes this as google does not show much on service bulletins.
Thanks

Thanks will ask them to check again. Is there a link or a website which describes this as google does not show much on service bulletins.
Thanks
No access, only for MG dealers only.
You may find this link very helpfully though.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom