Intelligent Octopus, has something changed?

Ozzie1989

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I've always been led to believe that to use Intelligent Octopus you need a Tesla or Wallbox Pulsar and an IOS device.

However, Octopus have been pushing 'Intelligent' in the app the last few weeks and I decided to take a look. Some of the terms and FAQs on the app seem different to that on the general public info via the website.

This may be of interest to those of you with battery storage also.

For example:

"The Intelligent Octopus tariff is for customers with low carbon technology at home, including electric vehicle home charging, heat pumps or home batteries. Any electricity used by low carbon technology as well as any other electricity used in your home during off-peak hours will be charged at the night rate."

"Octopus will connect to your low carbon technologies using your home wifi, in-built sim card or other method. In cases where it's not possible to connect to your low carbon technology we will seek to revert to a predefined operational schedule (e.g. for EV charging to charge in the off-peak window 23:30-05:30). In this event you will be billed according to your usage."

"By signing up you give Octopus permission to integrate with your low carbon technology, which may include electric vehicle (EV), electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE), heat pump or home battery. Octopus will connect to the relevant assets with your permission given in the app."

"Intelligent Octopus is a fixed tariff, with your daily standing charge, a quoted day rate per kWh and a quoted night rate (for six hours starting 23:30, ‘off-peak hours’) fixed for 12 months."

So, perhaps I am misinterpreting it, but I believe it's saying that you no longer have to be one of the elite few to join Intelligent Octopus and those with heat pumps, battery storage etc. can now benefit as well.

Just wondering if anyone has signed up recently who isn't covered by the original terms?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom