Interesting Video from Matt at GoGreen autos

Another great video from Matt.
But I have my suspicions that the ZS EV does not have a secondary drive train locking pin.
Pressing the “P” button will activate both electric actuator motors on each of the rear wheel.
Therefore locking up both rear wheels to hold the car in place 👍.
Manually lifting or pushing down on the handbrake switch in the centre consul will engage / disengage the electric handbrake in the same way 👍.
However, our drive has a slight downward incline, if I have the car in park, then manual release the electric handbrake, you would naturally expect the car to hold on the drive locking pin right ?.
Not really recommend but, once you release the handbrake manually the car rolls forward.
If my assumption is correct and there is no locking pin, this means with the handbrake engaged and then whole rear end jacked up, the car would be free just to roll forward on an downward incline surely ???.
Most auto transmission and DSG gear boxes do have a secondary transmission locking pin that will back up handbrake mechanism.
I am unable to 100% confirm my suspicions of course, but it does make me wonder 💭 ????.
Has any other ZS EV noticed this behaviour.

I never apply the handbrake before applying the parking brake. However I do keep the footbrake pressed until the parking brake has applied.
I’m the same foot on the brake before selecting park.

Another great video from Matt.
But I have my suspicions that the ZS EV does not have a secondary drive train locking pin.
Pressing the “P” button will activate both electric actuator motors on each of the rear wheel.
Therefore locking up both rear wheels to hold the car in place 👍.
Manually lifting or pushing down on the handbrake switch in the centre consul will engage / disengage the electric handbrake in the same way 👍.
However, our drive has a slight downward incline, if I have the car in park, then manual release the electric handbrake, you would naturally expect the car to hold on the drive locking pin right ?.
Not really recommend but, once you release the handbrake manually the car rolls forward.
If my assumption is correct and there is no locking pin, this means with the handbrake engaged and then whole rear end jacked up, the car would be free just to roll forward on an downward incline surely ???.
Most auto transmission and DSG gear boxes do have a secondary transmission locking pin that will back up handbrake mechanism.
I am unable to 100% confirm my suspicions of course, but it does make me wonder 💭 ????.
Has any other ZS EV noticed this behaviour.

I think you might be right unless the lock pin motor he talks about and shows in the video is all so operating along the the rear brake actuators when the hand brake is applied which I doubt but interesting video none the less.

The thing I noticed this afternoon was in the wife’s MG4 when I stopped still with my foot on the brake peddle when I pressed park button on the drive selector the hand brake lever light came on along with the hand brake/ (P) light on the dashboard so yeh I think like you Jeff the MG set up is different.

He does say in his video that not all vehicles are the same and points out at 6:25 into it that Teslas in particular don’t use this pawl idea and maybe MG as the same set up but i posted this in the general chat thread that might interest others even ICE vehicles owners
Les

Last edited:
I've also noticed that applying the parking brake also applies the handbrake (on the MG4).

I’m the same foot on the brake before selecting park.

I think you might be right unless the lock pin motor he talks about and shows in the video is all so operating along the the rear brake actuators with hand brake is applied which I doubt but interesting video none the less.

The thing I noticed this afternoon was in the wife’s MG4 when I stopped still with my foot on the brake peddle when I pressed park button on the drive selector the hand brake lever light came on along with the hand brake/ (P) light on the dashboard so yeh I think like you the MG set up is different.

He does say in his video that not all vehicles are the same and point out at 6:25 into it that Teslas in particular don’t use this pawl idea and maybe MG is the same set up but i posted this in the general chat thread that might interest others even ICE vehicles owners
Les
Cheers Les.
Tesla has two independent brake callipers on each rear wheel.
It has one larger brake calliper on each side that controls the rear brake(s) and then a second smaller calliper(s) that is used purely as the hand brake.
This is the one seen at the 11 o'clock position in this photo ( taken from a model S ).
The larger twin pot calliper shown at the 5 o'clock position, is main foot brake calliper.

Tesla rear brakes  2023-10-01 at 20.16.48.png

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom