Interesting watch on EV Tyres For All EVs

Without trying to argue against that reasoning (because I am not sure myself) there is an alternative.

1stly when you brake weight gets transferred to the front wheel so the resistance to aquaplaning increases. In other words the comparable tread depth increases and conversely the rear tyres reduces.

2nd if you can maintain grip on the rear of the vehicle you will have better stability overall if any side force occurs, when the back end lets go directional control is lost.
Another advantage and a tick in the box for regular tyre rotation then ?.

Same could be said for OTHER checks carried out on the MOT then ?.
Testers discretion can be hit or miss in certain situations, lets just say.
This is why a car will pass at an MOT at one station, then fail at the next station only another 2 miles further down the road ?.
This can be seen as a "Option Snag" between two different testers.
What one testers considers an advisory can be seen as a straight fail by the next tester 15 minutes latter.
I remember years ago buying a low mileage second hand ( X mobility ) Ford Fiesta for my wife to use just for going back and too for ....
Exactly - if it was so dangerous it would be more tightly defined & trained on & checked on..

Sounds like you got a bent trade MOT back then.

At my work someone is selling a Zoe and mentioned that it had EV tires fitted, I did not know this was a thing! I haven't checked mine but do MG fit EV tires or just "normal" tires and should I look at getting some when its time to change?

You will find several articles referring to EVs needing specific tyres including articles on tyre fitting chains own web sites. However if you try to search for "ev tyres" you wouldn't find them. I hadn't even found an option to filter by that specific parameter. However Black Circles ( and I presume some other sites) now have an option to search for EV tyres You will find car manufacturers claim that they fit the best tyres for efficiency to achieve high range figures. It doesn't help when the original factory fit tyres become out of production.

I you look at what an EV tyre needs to be it has to have high strength and efficient running. The 1st is an absolute value and fairly unequivocal. If the original tyre load index is 96 then you need 96 tyres. You will also sometimes see these referred to as XL tyres. If you just specified 205/60 R16 the majority would be 92 load index with only some being XL or 96 Load Index.

What few sites seemed to consider in the past was the second option of efficient running. When I last looked at this most offerings were B or even C ratings for fuel efficiency. Our fuel is kW and we need A rated tyres, anything less means less range.

Noise is a factor too on EV tyres isn't it?
Yeh smokie that is true, tyres for any vehicle or at best a compromises on many fronts, grip wear braking performance strength and noise as you have point out but I think one of the main factors for EV is the strength because of the extra weight that battery puts into these vehicles it one of them nothing is perfect and tyres are a compromise and some work better than others.
I remember when I got my first MG5 it came fitted with Bridgestone tyres I ho what a load of sh-t them are that came from many years ago when I had bikes Honda Suzuki Yamaha all came fitted with Bridgestone tires from Japan first job get them off and get a set of Avon or Dunlops on as they where lethal in the wet no grip at all but the MG5 drove very nicely on that rubber and at 18500 miles when I sold it they where like new,
Now my new facelifted MG 5 Trophy as Michelin tyres and the car does not feel as sure foot as my old one did don’t know why might be the bigger wheels that are the issue the wife’s MG4 as Continentals fitted and they are not as quiet as mine it’s a hard choice and off course the elephant in the room is price.
Les

Yeh smokie that is true, tyres for any vehicle or at best a compromises on many fronts, grip wear braking performance strength and noise as you have point out but I think one of the main factors for EV is the strength because of the extra weight that battery puts into these vehicles it one of them nothing is perfect and tyres are a compromise and some work better than others.
I remember when I got my first MG5 it came fitted with Bridgestone tyres I ho what a load of sh-t them are that came from many years ago when I had bikes Honda Suzuki Yamaha all came fitted with Bridgestone tires from Japan first job get them off and get a set of Avon or Dunlops on as they where lethal in the wet no grip at all but the MG5 drove very nicely on that rubber and at 18500 miles when I sold it they where like new,
Now my new facelifted MG 5 Trophy as Michelin tyres and the car does not feel as sure foot as my old one did don’t know why might be the bigger wheels that are the issue the wife’s MG4 as Continentals fitted and they are not as quiet as mine it’s a hard choice and off course the elephant in the room is price.
Les
Had Bridgestones on my Golf GTE absolutely hated them !.
Grip and traction was rubbish and tyre compound is hard, okay for wear but god they were really noisy.
I switched them out for Goodyears and the difference was night and day.

You will find several articles referring to EVs needing specific tyres including articles on tyre fitting chains own web sites. However if you try to search for "ev tyres" you wouldn't find them. I hadn't even found an option to filter by that specific parameter. However Black Circles ( and I presume some other sites) now have an option to search for EV tyres You will find car manufacturers claim that they fit the best tyres for efficiency to achieve high range figures. It doesn't help when the original factory fit tyres become out of production.

I you look at what an EV tyre needs to be it has to have high strength and efficient running. The 1st is an absolute value and fairly unequivocal. If the original tyre load index is 96 then you need 96 tyres. You will also sometimes see these referred to as XL tyres. If you just specified 205/60 R16 the majority would be 92 load index with only some being XL or 96 Load Index.

What few sites seemed to consider in the past was the second option of efficient running. When I last looked at this most offerings were B or even C ratings for fuel efficiency. Our fuel is kW and we need A rated tyres, anything less means less range.
I'd rather have all-seasons tyres and slightly reduced range.

Noise is a factor too on EV tyres isn't it?
I would consider that for any tyre.

Noise is obviously significant with EVs because as the rest of the car is so quiet tyre noise stands out.

Of course noise is energy so you don't want to compromise fuel efficiency in any way, I would expect an efficient tyre to be relatively quiet..

I spent many an hour in army vehicles where even in the clatteriest Land rover over 10Mph most of what you heard was the tractor tread tyres:eek:. The 1st time I rode in one with civilian type tyres it was weird that something was missing.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom