iOS Carplay, Apple Maps (EV), Wireless adapters

slmorgan42

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hey every one I wanted to bring together my experiences and thoughts on this topic and get other peoples views.

I have used CarPlay for many years and like it over the built in systems. I prefer Apple Maps over other maps maybe just because I find it easy to use and have always used it.

iOS maps
Recently I saw a comment about Apple Maps becoming EV aware. I have not noticed when the phone is connected to the car I get an option to search (add a stop) for charging stations. This was new and not something I had seen before. I have to play with it more but it seems to focus really on where you are right but hopefully this means we are heading towards a more EV friendly version. (like the cycle option to plan the best route for a bike.)

Wireless CarPlay
I had Wireless CarPlay on my previous car and found this very useful for short trips jumping in and out of the car. I have recently played with some of the common wireless adapters (carlinkit and Leranda) but even though they are great they are not the same as a built in solution. The final straw for me was the above mentioned EV options did not appear in Maps as the phone did not know it was connected to an EV. So sticking with wired for now.

That said I have noticed like others on here the USB port is VERY fussy when it comes to cables that work with CarPlay. While all cables would charge most would not work with CarPlay or disconnect randomly. LOL normally at the wrong time. I have quite a few that are MFI approved and work 100% else where. For now I am forced to use the one that came with the phone.

Forgetting phone in car. LOL more a user error but as the phone is neatly tucked away in the middle console I keep forgetting the ruddy thing lol. i will get in a habit eventually not to forget it.

I have the v4 Carlinkit which does both CarPlay and android auto, and it works pretty much flawlessly with wireless CarPlay and Apple Maps..

I have the v4 Carlinkit which does both CarPlay and android auto, and it works pretty much flawlessly with wireless CarPlay and Apple Maps..
I did try v4 and it did work great. As mentioned the only was the phone and maps did not think it was connected to an EV and the charge station option did not appear. As maps becomes more EV aware I would like to take advantage of these features so going cabled for now.

I did try v4 and it did work great. As mentioned the only was the phone and maps did not think it was connected to an EV and the charge station option did not appear. As maps becomes more EV aware I would like to take advantage of these features so going cabled for now.
How does maps know what the type of vehicle is ? In Google maps and Waze you tell it in the settings. Presumably you would do the same in iOS or is that not available yet ?

How does maps know what the type of vehicle is ? In Google maps and Waze you tell it in the settings. Presumably you would do the same in iOS or is that not available yet ?
To be honest I am not really sure. Maybe there is some sort of two way handshake. for example one of the wireless adapters I had would reboot after connecting to adjust resolution to match the screen size of the car. All I know is when I plug the phone in the car the option for charge stations appears if I unplug it this option does not show. :)

Presume the car tells the phone what it is, and the iOS maybe has a list of known EV's

I have a carlinkkit v3 although I'm not sure if it's dead or I just picked up the wrong USB cable after taking it out the car last time it went in the garage (I may grabbed a cable that only has the power pin's wired)

Edit:

It's not dead but it's not talking to the car either, it has done before so not sure what's up with it.
Plugged it into a usb charger connected to it with my phone and am trying a firmware upgrade (although it got stuck last time so wondering if the f/w is partly corrupt)

Last edited:
To be honest I am not really sure. Maybe there is some sort of two way handshake. for example one of the wireless adapters I had would reboot after connecting to adjust resolution to match the screen size of the car. All I know is when I plug the phone in the car the option for charge stations appears if I unplug it this option does not show. :)
So you're saying that if you connect with a cable, it automatically enables EV routing in Apple Maps? I've just tried this and I see no difference in the maps app. Could you please take a screenshot to show the difference? Maybe I'm just missing it...

Hey

This is the CarPlay map difference I see when connected directly to the car. It’s talks about charge stations.
The second tow are when I have a route planned and I can choose to add a charge station on the way.

Attachments

• 418350C1-CA33-44CA-AB5E-E330235C51A4.jpeg
    418350C1-CA33-44CA-AB5E-E330235C51A4.jpeg
    414.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 51DBD73F-4A48-4599-9B55-21D57877E736.jpeg
    51DBD73F-4A48-4599-9B55-21D57877E736.jpeg
    431.8 KB · Views: 108
  • C5FF064C-CA87-4907-946F-50F5F314CF58.jpeg
    C5FF064C-CA87-4907-946F-50F5F314CF58.jpeg
    512.9 KB · Views: 104
Hey

This is the CarPlay map difference I see when connected directly to the car. It’s talks about charge stations.
The second tow are when I have a route planned and I can choose to add a charge station on the way.
I just found this. A little vague lol

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom