IoW family holiday - Charger advice please

CaptJurassic

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all, have a FL MG5 Trophy and I'm bring the clan to the island for a two week holiday. Looking at Zapmap and Bonnet it looks really sparse for charging points.

Are there any islanders that can let me know what the real situation is like, I'll be staying in Shanklin and doing a few trips out to the Needles, Black Gang Chine, the zoo, etc.

I don't imagine I'll need to charge more than once or twice to be honest, and I'll have the granny charger for emergencies but it's always best to be at prepared as possible.

Thanks in advance.

There a few showing on Electroverse
Screenshot_2023-07-29-15-52-00-21_51f238544636a91cc05e9a68c553009e.jpg

Thanks all, appreciate the input so far.

Looking forward to enjoying the British summer over there, and I might even see a bit of sun if I'm lucky 😄

I charged in Sandown when I was there earlier in the year. Just off the high Street whilst out for a meal. There was a 50kw rapid charger and a 7kw fast charger. There is also a charger at Fishbourne ferry poet you can use on the way back. I was there for the week and only charged once.

I charged in Sandown when I was there earlier in the year. Just off the high Street whilst out for a meal. There was a 50kw rapid charger and a 7kw fast charger. There is also a charger at Fishbourne ferry poet you can use on the way back. I was there for the week and only charged once.
Brilliant, thanks for that, great information. I think there's a charger at Portsmouth Ferry port as well so I might do a quick top up there if I get the chance.
Was thinking about using the one at Fishbourne for the trip home.

How much driving did you do over the week? What are you driving?

We were there several years ago, before EV, arrived at Yarmouth as was stopping at that end of the island. The 'ferry terminal there was just a ramp. We went back from Fishbourne and it was like turning into someone's driveway from the road. :)
Really enjoyed ourselves for a week though and brought plenty of garlic home.

I live on the Isle of Wight.....

I think your best bet is the 2x50kw Instavolts at Ryde McDonalds, on the edge of Ryde coming south towards Brading. I have tried these once as an experiment with no problems. ZapMap shows a number of other chargers in particular several Mer chargers, mainly only 7kw but I believe 2 x 50kw chargers in Sandown St Johns Road Car Park PO 36 8ES and also 2 x 50kw Mer chargers in the central car park in Ventnor. ZapMap shows several others, all contactless payment. I have no personal knowledge of using any of these as I charge at home, but I am confident that you will succeed somewhere. I can tell you the 2 chargers at Lake Morrisons have NEVER worked, so don't even think about it!!
Good luck and I hope you have a super time.

Hi all, have a FL MG5 Trophy and I'm bring the clan to the island for a two week holiday. Looking at Zapmap and Bonnet it looks really sparse for charging points.

Are there any islanders that can let me know what the real situation is like, I'll be staying in Shanklin and doing a few trips out to the Needles, Black Gang Chine, the zoo, etc.

I don't imagine I'll need to charge more than once or twice to be honest, and I'll have the granny charger for emergencies but it's always best to be at prepared as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Hi, there aren't too many fast chargers Shanklin, the closest is Morrisons but rarely working, however in Ryde there is McDonald's (which I usually use) also, 3 MER 50KW chargers in Ryde, to be honest it's not really a problem on the Island, if you're in east Cowes there's one at Waitrose, and one at Fishbourne car ferry, there are others as well, enjoy your visit.

I just happened to see the Isle of Man in ABRP. There seems to be a single PodPoint at the harbour at Douglas, with one CCS and one CHAdeMO connector, for the entire island. I wonder if there are even any electric cars on the island?

I suppose it's small enough that you'd never need public charging if you have home charging, and maybe you just want to charge before you take your car on a ferry? Or charge when you get off the ferry to visit? It doesn't seem much provision for any EV-driving visitors though.

Thanks in advance.
Hi. We went to the island last August and charge points were scarce. The best one I found was at the Whitelink ferry terminal at Fishbourne.

I live on the Isle of Wight.....

I think your best bet is the 2x50kw Instavolts at Ryde McDonalds, on the edge of Ryde coming south towards Brading. I have tried these once as an experiment with no problems. ZapMap shows a number of other chargers in particular several Mer chargers, mainly only 7kw but I believe 2 x 50kw chargers in Sandown St Johns Road Car Park PO 36 8ES and also 2 x 50kw Mer chargers in the central car park in Ventnor. ZapMap shows several others, all contactless payment. I have no personal knowledge of using any of these as I charge at home, but I am confident that you will succeed somewhere. I can tell you the 2 chargers at Lake Morrisons have NEVER worked, so don't even think about it!!
Good luck and I hope you have a super time.
Brilliant, thanks for insider knowledge.

I think all Morrisons are the same, the chargers in my local one don't work either and never have.

And we always have a good time when e come over to the island, and hopefully I'll even bring a bit of sunshine work me 😄

Whilst we are on the Isle of Wight, (pun intended) here's a bit of trivia for you. For half a year, the Isle of Wight shares the title of the UK's smallest county with Rutland. Anyone know why? :)

Last edited:
Well done, but it's not just spring tides. Twice a day the tide comes in, making the Isle of Wight the smallest county. When it goes out, Rutland becomes the smallest. That's half of the week, half of the month, and half of the year. :)

It's a fun fact. I didn't know that.

When you said "shared", did you mean that half the time it's Rutland and half the time it's the IoW? Not that for half the time the IoW and Rutland are of equal size?

I need to stop being so pedantic.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom