Is "ECO" Mode Misleading?

This is my last nearly 4500 miles of driving with almost entirely Normal mode. I do sometimes use Sport mode for the fun :)

View attachment 11360

For anyone to suggest that by driving in eco mode the MG ZS EV will achieve a 10 to 15% improvement is having a laugh and misleading new and potential BEV owners.

There is no way on this planet that a consumption rate of 4.3 to 4.5 miles per kWh is possible in eco mode compared to 3.9 miles per kWh is Normal mode.
My accumulated m/kwh is 4.2.

Eco could be very helpful in snow and slippery conditions, with Kers set to 1 or maybe 2 depending on conditions.
wouldn't you want KERS at max in snow/slippery conditions so that you are actually breaking less?
genuine question as I don't have my ZS EV yet

Surely it’s not just me who can feel the power restriction on the car when going between modes and when going from normal to eco mode you see the current/power percentage drop so surely it’s more efficient ?

Surely it’s not just me who can feel the power restriction on the car when going between modes and when going from normal to eco mode you see the current/power percentage drop so surely it’s more efficient ?
So using your definition of efficiency a 7kW home charger is more efficient than a 50 kW rapid charger because it has less current and power in a given time?

Efficiency killer is speed and the eco button doesn't determine speed; your right foot does. Driving at x mph will consume the same whatever mode you're in, be it eco, normal or sport.

Last edited:
So using your definition of efficiency a 7kW home charger is more efficient than a 50 kW rapid charger because it has less current and power in a given time?

Efficiency killer is speed and the eco button doesn't determine speed; your right foot does. Driving at x mph will consume the same whatever mode you're in, be it eco, normal or sport.
But your talking about a total different thing, there’s no consumer involved in charging a battery, the motor is the consumer and surely that determines the current draw from the battery ?, which is connect to the throttle pedal, no one has spoke about speed because yeah you can drive at 70mph in eco but if you drive 60mph is normal then yeah of course that’s going to use more of battery, the guy above was talking about efficiency data driving the same route at the same speed trying to keep the variables the same

It would make more sense if eco limited the car to a max speed 50 might be more useful?
The way I see it eco chances the speed Curve so takes longer to get to 70
Slower to 70 can use more power than faster to 70 as your pressing the accelerator longer is using 80% for 1 minute better then 95% power for 40 seconds?

But your talking about a total different thing, there’s no consumer involved in charging a battery, the motor is the consumer and surely that determines the current draw from the battery ?, which is connect to the throttle pedal, no one has spoke about speed because yeah you can drive at 70mph in eco but if you drive 60mph is normal then yeah of course that’s going to use more of battery, the guy above was talking about efficiency data driving the same route at the same speed trying to keep the variables the same
Exactly, if everything is the same then efficiency is the same so eco, normal or sport make diddly squat difference to efficiency.

It is entirely plausible that eco mode may cause some people and not others to drive differently and therefore affect the total range for some only. There's no monopoly on facts, two people can have different experiences and both be right, because they drive differently.

Purely anecdotally, I used to drive in eco mode the entire time. I tried normal and found no discernible difference in range. Normal mode gives you better acceleration and better heating and you don't have to remind yourself to choose it on start.

Page 156 explains what eco mode affects and changes within the car/battery consumption.

OP to say eco mode is misleading then to say its a lie is a bit strong.
Can you explain what is misleading or a lie?
Were there parameters that mg have set and failed to achieve?

Page 156 explains what eco mode affects and changes within the car/battery consumption.

OP to say eco mode is misleading then to say its a lie is a bit strong.
Can you explain what is misleading or a lie?
Were there parameters that mg have set and failed to achieve?
Confused me there when you said OP; hadn't realised that the Mods must've split this out!

I think that too many people see eco button and start using it especially when they see that the range on the GOM has gone up and think that something magic has happened and they're getting free range. The only way you'll improve range is to drive more efficiently and that has nothing to do with what mode you're in. That's why I said it's a lie.

Should point out that this was originally from this thread, for context, in answer to; "Just collected my car and I notice it will always start in Normal electric mode. I want to set it to always start in Eco mode. Can someone advise how to do this.".

Last edited:
Should point out that this was originally from this thread for context in answer to; "Just collected my car and I notice it will always start in Normal electric mode. I want to set it to always start in Eco mode. Can someone advise how to do this.".
In answer to the OP question - you can't, but it makes almost no difference to range even if you could.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom