Is it just me?

Ian Key

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Does anyone else take everything out of the car before taking it in for a service?

My brother and friends tend to leave all the paraphernalia in their cars when they take theirs to be serviced or repaired whereas I remove everything apart from a cloth to wipe the windows. I use it as an excuse to sort out of all the junk that tends to accumulate.

I take everything out of the car when it goes in for service including removing the stubby aerial I bought for the car & putting the original one back on. The long aerial makes a hellish scraping noise on the up & over garage door whist reversing in.

Does anyone else take everything out of the car before taking it in for a service?

My brother and friends tend to leave all the paraphernalia in their cars when they take their's to be serviced or repaired whereas I remove everything apart from a cloth to wipe the windows. I use it as an excuse to sort out of all the junk that tends to accumulate.

I wouldn’t leave anything in the way of where they were working, but the rest of my accoutrements can stay.
And I do take a picture of my car park change because I trust no one!

I will also unplug my dashcam from now on so I don't hear anything I wish I hadn't!!!

20240304_081923.jpg

i usually take everything out so that it’s not in the way in case they need to access something.
I also normally clean it before taking it to be serviced or anything really. It’s a courtesy in this day and age but it’s also out of respect.
When working as a cycle mechanic I hated it to work on dirty bikes, especially since that dirt is normally the cause of the problem in the first place

It's not just you. I have this irrational feeling that if the car is presented clean and tidy, the garage will take more care.

The dealership offer to wash the car, but I sort of feel I have more pride than that. At the moment. Ten years down the line I'll probably be grateful.

It's not just you. I have this irrational feeling that if the car is presented clean and tidy, the garage will take more care.

The dealership offer to wash the car, but I sort of feel I have more pride than that. At the moment. Ten years down the line I'll probably be grateful.
Don't get me wrong, my car is always clean beforehand as like @Rolfe I "think" that they will take more care.

Recently proven completely wrong though, with dashcam abuse, dirty mats, and loose bolts under the bonnet!🤬

Every time I've handed the keys in for a service at Chaplehouse MG Motors Wigan they've asked me to disconnect the dashcam.
No my five went to Frasers of Falkirk for its first service in September and no mention of dash cam.

Clear everything that doesn't belong in it including removing the child seats. That way when they clean (which they do) it nothing is in the way for the job to be done right. If I had one in that look like a skip I would leave it in that state. I particularly wouldn't leave change in the, unfair to give temptation.

When I used to repair computers the last job was always to clean it which the customers were often pleased to see, it shows at least some pride in my work. Old fashioned purple meths was always the best to remove ball point pen marks. Various copies available but genuine Ambersil foam cleaner was best for casework.

My brother and friends tend to leave all the paraphernalia in their cars when they take theirs to be serviced or repaired whereas I remove everything apart from a cloth to wipe the windows. I use it as an excuse to sort out of all the junk that tends to accumulate.
I do the same now as many years ago my car went in for fire damage repair to the roof and when it came back my disklok had disappeared.

Didn't get a replacement, only a poor apology and 'not responsible for property' quote.
I complained to the insurance company, but again got fobbed off. I was young then so accepted it.

Absolutely. In the days of MOTs I emptied the car completely (the inspector wouldn't be too keen on emptying your boot to check the spare), cleaned and polished it. Simple psychology - if the car looks cared for then the MOT inspector will assume it is (hopefully). Also, if you can't find something a few days after a service has it been pinched (e.g., your pot of change for car parking)?

Last edited:
I wouldn’t leave anything in the way of where they were working, but the rest of my accoutrements can stay.
And I do take a picture of my car park change because I trust no one!

I will also unplug my dashcam from now on so I don't hear anything I wish I hadn't!!!

View attachment 25102
I once took my Audi in for a service

I left my wife & daughter in the car. How disappointed was I when I picked the car up to find them both still sitting there 🫣

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom