Is it worth getting a type 2 cable ?

Barney

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I am expecting to do the vast majority of my charging at home on a tethered Hyperlink. If I need to charge away from home I would expect to use a rapid charger, all of which are tethered. So the only case where I could use a type 2 cable would be free top ups in Tescos and similar. Is that correct ? If so, it would take a lot of free charge to repay the cost of the cable.

Sounds like you don't need one but if the rapid is broken and there is a type 2 next to it that needs a cable what would you do?

My original plan when I bought the car was to have a home charger that would take care of most of the charging duties, with using rapids if I was out and about. 9 months later, still no charger installed, local rapids being a bit temperamental, and having a load of slow chargers at my local train station, and near my work, I'm kinda glad I ponied up the extra cash for a cable. If it has the potential to get you out the :poop: even once, it's been a worthwhile purchase.

So the only case where I could use a type 2 cable would be free top ups in Tescos and similar. Is that correct ? If so, it would take a lot of free charge to repay the cost of the cable.
Simple answer - Yes !.
But I would not just DIRECTLY focus at the cost, yes of course this plays it's part.
But consider this, it is more of an insurance back up plan.
E.G. - You are on a journey with your family and for some reason, you hit a "Road Closed" / "Diversion" sign ahead ( happened to us twice last week ) you are running a little low on juice and it would be a good time to take both a toilet break, stretch your feet and grab a drink.
There is two super market's close buy and they both have "Free Vend" 7 kw posts.
You rock up, but you don't have the required type 2 charging cable - DOOH !.
Our, you pay a visit to a friend who has an EV but with an un-tethered wall box.
He only has a type 1 lead, so you are buggered !.
Similar situation, if the car offers the provision to handle a spare wheel, why the hell would you not have one ?????.
Personally, I would just buy one.
If you don't use it and move back to an ICE car, then just sell it on !.
I bought one about 2 years ago, I have used it about 6 times that's all.
Do I regret it - No not at all.
Same for the spare wheel !.

I just been up to Sheringham Norfolk from near Noriwch 28 miles, went to Tesco where there 2 pod point, need my lead to connect to the charge then returned back no petrol used.

I whould get one you never know ?I was up Scotland for few days no chargers nearby. luckily the farmer whose cottage we were staying let me use my granny charger till I got to Tesco to use type 2 charger rapid chargers aren’t always the answer on a long journey

I've a brand new unused in mg storage bag type 2 cable for sale for £100 if anyone's interested. I have 2, (don't ask!) Plus a tethered pod point home charger so 1 cable is up for sale

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom