Is there room for a Smart Meter here ??

JonnyG

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
I'm trying to get a smart meter installed and have read a few cases of people being turned down due to lack of space in the meter box.

Looking at the size of a Smart Meter I'm wondering if I may have a problem or if anything needs re-arranging in my meter box to create space

What do you think ?

Thanks

Room for Smart Meter.jpg

The Smart Meter will have a Comms Hub sitting on the top so it would certainly need rearranging but the decision on what's feasible will rest with the installer.

I would agree with the comment about the EVSE mini CU not being in the meter box. I think that is very unusual.

I have the same (or similar) size meter box with a smart meter but without the EVSE CU and everything fits without difficulty.

I think the Henley blocks (under the sticker where the tails are split) would be in the way judging by the size of my new smart meter.

As others have pointed out I don’t believe it is acceptable to have the CU in the box for this very reason. Had it not been there the blocks could have been where the CU is leaving plenty of room.

Is it my eyes playing tricks or do the tails coming out of the isolator switch look a bit skinny ?

Edit: it does appear to be my eyes heheh

Thanks for the replies. So do you think I need to get my EV Installer to come back and move the bottom right EVSE CU box somewhere outside of the meter box ? and if so could it go on the other side (inside) of the wall as it's a garage with the fuse box mounted there. As you can tell I'm no sparky 😁.

I was hoping they could relocate the isolator switch further to the top right and move the Henley Blocks further to the right to make enough room under the existing meter (top left).

I would agree with the comment about the EVSE mini CU not being in the meter box. I think that is very unusual.

I have the same (or similar) size meter box with a smart meter but without the EVSE CU and everything fits without difficulty.

Where did they put your EVSE CU ?

Last edited:
I had slots spare on the main house CU so the installer fitted the dedicated EVSE CU in there. I also have a master switch for the charger just inside the garage door, approximately 1 metre away from the EVSE itself.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom