KERS3 vs Braking

AdamMGEV

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
So on youtube I just learnt that when you press your foot on the brake it is similar to having KERS3 on... it will regen your battery when you press the brake. I didn't think it did. So you could technically drive around in KERS1 and if you could use your brake efficiently it would regent the same amount as using KERS3?

Anyone know about this? I thought if you used the brake it was wasted energy... but if you roll along in KERS1, see what the regen is in current, then press the brake, it will regen more for those seconds.

I have an MG5 btw if that makes a difference, not sure if the ZS is different.

Definitely noticed the Power dial shows full regen when foot on brake - not sure how much of the braking force is regen and how much are the pads on the disc, I guess it depends on how hard your brake.

Might be a worthwhile experiment to compare energy usage on an identical route for both options?

Yes it will regen before applying the pads but not sure if it as effective as kers3 for regen

I mean i'll still use KERS3 because it saves me pressing the brake as much but interesting to know that it does regen more when pressing the brake because you're always told if you use the brake it wont regen.

I mean i'll still use KERS3 because it saves me pressing the brake as much but interesting to know that it does regen more when pressing the brake because you're always told if you use the brake it wont regen.
Since this is in the non-model specific area of the forum, and so far we all have pictures of an MG5 as our profile avatar - it would also be interesting to see if the ZS EV and MG5 behave the same under braking - given that the ZS doesn't regen when using cruise control.

So on youtube I just learnt that when you press your foot on the brake it is similar to having KERS3 on... it will regen your battery when you press the brake. I didn't think it did. So you could technically drive around in KERS1 and if you could use your brake efficiently it would regent the same amount as using KERS3?

Anyone know about this? I thought if you used the brake it was wasted energy... but if you roll along in KERS1, see what the regen is in current, then press the brake, it will regen more for those seconds.

I have an MG5 btw if that makes a difference, not sure if the ZS is different.
A point worth noting is that using maximum regen will save wear on the pads, which to to my mind is more benefit than any electricity you might replenish.

Yes I've known about brake regen since I got the car, I seldom use it for that though because as with kers 3 it's too aggressive for too short a time to do much good. I stopped using kers 3 when I worked out I was using at least as much power regaining speed after it slowed me down as it had saved me.

My default setting now is eco and kers 2 but use cruise control as much as possible for its smoother acceleration, trying to get the best regen versus speed loss.

I've recently found on the ZS if you turn the Hill Decent Control on, that goes well beyond what KERS 3 does, it really is as close to 1 pedal driving as it gets and really wacks the charge up somewhat.
I did this on its 1st outing from London to Barnsley without stopping. 191 miles from the 45.5kwh battery, which I didn't think was bad!

I've recently found on the ZS if you turn the Hill Decent Control on, that goes well beyond what KERS 3 does, it really is as close to 1 pedal driving as it gets and really wacks the charge up somewhat.
I did this on its 1st outing from London to Barnsley without stopping. 191 miles from the 45.5kwh battery, which I didn't think was bad!
Clearly a Jedi Master of EV driving

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I’m still waiting for my MG ZS EV (which will be my first EV) & I was wondering with regard to the use of KERS, is there a maximum speed that you can use it or maximum amount of continuous use? ie. If you were going down a steep hill, could you use all the way down to control your speed or would you run the risk of damaging the system.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I’m still waiting for my MG ZS EV (which will be my first EV) & I was wondering with regard to the use of KERS, is there a maximum speed that you can use it or maximum amount of continuous use? ie. If you were going down a steep hill, could you use all the way down to control your speed or would you run the risk of damaging the system.
The battery management system should prevent any damage at any speed, and the amount of regeneration fed to the battery will vary - and hence the braking effect will vary depending on a number of factors, including how charged the battery already is. I doubt you can damage the system this way.

I have used it on long downhill runs in the Yorkshire dales and recovered many miles.
You can certainly use it at motorway speeds.

There’s nothing that will get damaged, it’s essentially the motor acting as a generator so essentially everything moving as it would if you were driving, just generating energy instead of consuming it. I always drive in KERS3, I control how aggressive it stops/slows me down with the pressure I apply to the accelerator pedal 👍

I have used it on long downhill runs in the Yorkshire dales and recovered many miles.
You can certainly use it at motorway speeds.
My daily commute to and from work is a good example, mostly uphill going, downhill going home, journey to work uses about 5-6% battery, coming home I gain 1-2% battery (still makes me smile to see the percentage gauge go up as I’m driving 😀)

My daily commute to and from work is a good example, mostly uphill going, downhill going home, journey to work uses about 5-6% battery, coming home I gain 1-2% battery (still makes me smile to see the percentage gauge go up as I’m driving 😀)
The warmer weather is making a positive difference too, started my journey home on 80% arrived home on 81% m/kWh averaging 4.9!!😳😜

Attachments

• 6478BC2D-9741-4DB4-A383-D69460942BC4.jpeg
    6478BC2D-9741-4DB4-A383-D69460942BC4.jpeg
    410 KB · Views: 87
  • D341041A-8115-4BA6-BBA9-67CEBF33B643.jpeg
    D341041A-8115-4BA6-BBA9-67CEBF33B643.jpeg
    391.4 KB · Views: 87
Going to be interesting to see what my m/kWh will be* on my commute- 38 miles each way with a proper mix of b-roads & fast single carriageways from MK(ish) to Letchworth(ish).

*provided of course I don’t hit the ASBO switch 😜

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom