Roldorf

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
From the BBC website article:

"Motorway electric car charge point target missed, says RAC"​

"Jonathan Goodman, UK head of Swedish EV firm Polestar, told the BBC's Today programme that the charging infrastructure was a "critical part" of getting more people to consider an electric car."

'Polestar' is Swedish! That's a new one on me.

A search on the internet shows 'Polestar' is part of the Volvo Group and are also 'Swedish'.
A search on the internet shows Volvo is part of the Geely Holding Group. Interesting, sounds a bit European.
A further search for Geely shows that their full title is:-
"Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co., Ltd.", and is a Chinese multinational automotive company, headquartered in Hangzhou, Zhejiang. The company is privately held by Chinese entrepreneur Li Shufu. It was established in 1986 and entered the automotive industry in 1997 with its Geely Auto subsidiary.

I guess that goes to show that you can't even believe the positive EV news you read in the press. Gone are the days when journalists did proper research before committing pen to paper.

I am also not so sure about focus on Motorway chargers. One big change from ICE infrastructure is the benefit of destination chargers rather than the existing ICE model of petrol stations. Another target should be the upgrading of existing 7kw chargers to min 150kw with associated power supply infrastructure. First target should be the ones at Tesco, they just encourage ineffective usage.

Motorway chargers are important if you are doing a long journey. It's appalling that a major motorway services station like Leicester Forest does not have rapid charge points.
I only use motorways a few times a year but I'd happily drive past LFE if I knew that there were 50x 7/22kW chargers at my destination in Milton Keynes where I could plug into while spending 3 hrs shopping/skiing/cinema or whatever, if they were sensibly priced that would take the pressure off motorway chargers leaving them for those that need them.

I suppose if the Sunak family had shares in Gridserve, then all targets would have been surpassed. As it is, the oil companies get new licenses to drill in the North Sea. Just saying . . .
Who needs chargers when you travel everywhere by taxpayer financed helicopter?

I only use motorways a few times a year but I'd happily drive past LFE if I knew that there were 50x 7/22kW chargers at my destination in Milton Keynes where I could plug into while spending 3 hrs shopping/skiing/cinema or whatever, if they were sensibly priced that would take the pressure off motorway chargers leaving them for those that need them.

New style chargers in my area, they look like taller 7/22kw posts but are single output 25kw CCS. A better option for charging while shopping.

New style chargers in my area, they look like taller 7/22kw posts but are single output 25kw CCS. A better option for charging while shopping.
Are they DC chargers? If I'm at the cinema/theatre/on the slopes for 2-3 hours I wouldn't want to sit on a DC charger for that long, 3 hours at 11kW is more than enough, I'd even be tempted to restrict the current. If I need a charge on a normal shopping stop I'd just grab 10 minutes or so on the 150kW chargers, now the free ones have been removed.

Both Lazy AND stupid AND always looking to promote bad news in this social media compeditive '24 hour news cycle'. I guess the upside might be that it certainly makes one more discenrning about what to read, which sources are accurate & in general how to do a little empirical research vs. doomscrolling on idiot mobile phone addiction.

I am also not so sure about focus on Motorway chargers. One big change from ICE infrastructure is the benefit of destination chargers rather than the existing ICE model of petrol stations. Another target should be the upgrading of existing 7kw chargers to min 150kw with associated power supply infrastructure. First target should be the ones at Tesco, they just encourage ineffective usage.
I believe that the 7kw chargers at Tesco etcare absolutely necessary for people that cannot have a home charger. If all the 7kw chargers at Tesco etc are replaced with rapid chargers a lot of people would have no way of doing a battery balance. The only way they would be able to charge their EV's would be to use a rapid charger which we all know is not a good thing and is said to reduce the life of the battery and its overall efficiency.

I believe that the 7kw chargers at Tesco etcare absolutely necessary for people that cannot have a home charger. If all the 7kw chargers at Tesco etc are replaced with rapid chargers a lot of people would have no way of doing a battery balance. The only way they would be able to charge their EV's would be to use a rapid charger which we all know is not a good thing and is said to reduce the life of the battery and its overall efficiency.
You get fined for being parked for over 2-3 hrs in a Tesco car park? So only 14 kw available to charge... not much good.

I would hope that Tesco would keep the 7Kw and install a extra rapid charger . My nearest Tescos are 7Kw but the Cardiff Tesco Extra has 7Kw and 50 Kw

You get fined for being parked for over 2-3 hrs in a Tesco car park? So only 14 kw available to charge... not much good.
I don't think there's a time limit on my local Tescos , but the Tesco in Swansea is 2 hours . And you have to verify that you're using the store via a store receipt and a terminal outside the store . It's a pain :( . You can extend the period with the Your Parking Space app , which is fairly reasonable

Before I got my home charger I used the rapid charger to get to about 85% and then went to Tesco for the last 15%. I found that the 3 hour parking limit was more than enouggh to do the last 15% and balance the battery. It doesn't take very long if you balance the battery on a regular basis.

Before I got my home charger I used the rapid charger to get to about 85% and then went to Tesco for the last 15%. I found that the 3 hour parking limit was more than enouggh to do the last 15% and balance the battery. It doesn't take very long if you balance the battery on a regular basis.
Exactly what I used to do .

I would hope that Tesco would keep the 7Kw and install a extra rapid charger . My nearest Tescos are 7Kw but the Cardiff Tesco Extra has 7Kw and 50 Kw

I don't think there's a time limit on my local Tescos , but the Tesco in Swansea is 2 hours . And you have to verify that you're using the store via a store receipt and a terminal outside the store . It's a pain :( . You can extend the period with the Your Parking Space app , which is fairly reasonable
I was charging at Scratchwood services on a slow charger and was fined for exceeding my stay. Put my case in and pointed out there were no warning signs at the chargers,and go off !! Result.
Only reason I was on a slow charger is my MG won’t rapid charge! Been like that since September, and still not fixed. MG are just appalling, quick to take your money.
Me thinks, only reason they have a 7 year warranty is it’ll take 7 years to sort them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think only the bigger stores will be able to run Rapid chargers, the smaller ones will not have the excess power to do it.

I was charging at Scratchwood services on a slow charger and was fined for exceeding my stay. Put my case in and pointed out there were no warning signs at the chargers,and go off !! Result.
Only reason I was on a slow charger is my MG won’t rapid charge! Been like that since September, and still not fixed. MG are just appalling, quick to take your money.
Me thinks, only reason they have a 7 year warranty is it’ll take 7 years to sort them out.
If you are sure there's no signage then always challenge it, makes sense.

I arrived at a 50kw charger last week to find a guy on it, car at 95% charging at 9kwph having sat there for 1.5 hours. We got talking and he started moaning about electric cars and how he would never buy one (company car apparently). I tried to clue him in to not charging past 80% but he was just not interested in anything but moaning. So I did my civic duty and pointed out the A4 sized sign on the charger that said £30 overstay fee after 45 minutes, "enjoy bud" :D

I think only the bigger stores will be able to run Rapid chargers, the smaller ones will not have the excess power to do it.
Possibly , but the nearest large Tesco stores to me are about the same size as the Cardiff one all coming under the Tesco Extra banner

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom