Locking wheel nut key

Smendon

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Howdy!

Is MG the only place where I can get a locking wheel nut key or is there anywhere else I can get it from for the ZS EV?

Do you mean a set of locking wheel nuts? The ZS comes without locking wheel nuts.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
They hide the wheel nuts under plastic covers, which means if you have to remove the wheel you have to remove the five plastic covers before you can get to the actual wheel nuts, to be honest with these alloys it's probably all the deterrent you need😂😂admittedly I put locking wheel nuts on, MG original part ones for half the price on eBay

They hide the wheel nuts under plastic covers, which means if you have to remove the wheel you have to remove the five plastic covers before you can get to the actual wheel nuts, to be honest with these alloys it's probably all the deterrent you need😂😂admittedly I put locking wheel nuts on, MG original part ones for half the price on eBay
I speak from personal experience when I say it is not nice to wake up one morning to find your new car jacked up and left on four bricks and the wheels have been taken !.
Blocking the second car in our single garage.
The car was just sitting there with the alarm light still flashing away happily !.
The “Pond Life” had cut the side window out of a neighbouring car ( not alarmed ) and used the Jack and brace to remove our wheels !.
It was a real pain trying to get the first car back off the bricks and moved.
Needless to say this was ( and still is ) the only car that has never received locking wheel nuts in our family ever since !.
I have had the locking wheel nuts installed on my car from day one.
I bought them from the same Ebay supplier over twelve months ago now.
50% less expensive than the dealer supplied option.
The space saver I purchased from the dealer, but that has now increased in price by over £100 !.
It can still be bought at the original price on EBay also.
Not unusual to find heavy mark up on dealer prices, this is not always the case of course.
Always do your research first folks !.

Hi.
I always put locking wheel nuts on just for peace of mind but you can now get devices off eBay that can bypass most locking wheel nuts, the only good thing about the alloys are they are distinctive to the MG ZS EV I believe so would look conspicuous on any other car.

Hi.
I always put locking wheel nuts on just for peace of mind but you can now get devices off eBay that can bypass most locking wheel nuts, the only good thing about the alloys are they are distinctive to the MG ZS EV I believe so would look conspicuous on any other car.
You can’t stop the “Pond Life” - but it helps slow them down at least.
A lot of the wheel defeat devices create a lot of noise when used and take time to use.
Not what the “Pond Life” like.
They want to be in and away with there spoils real quick !.
These things sell SO cheaply at “Pub Prices” that they have no difficulty selling them on at that cheap price.
The wheels and tyres are likely to change hands for a few hundred quid, when they are likely to costs thousands to purchase and replace.
The wheels could take a while to procure also.
I had an expensive set of wheels on a BMW that I owned a while ago.
It had TWO different styles of locking wheel nuts on that car and a motion sensor fitted to the alarm system.
As soon as the car was jacked up, the alarm would sound.

Have to be honest, have always disliked them. Depending on the design they can be a proper sod to use, especially if your local tyre monkey used the gun to tighten the nuts (since your average tyre technician doesn't have a clue what a torque wrench is). I've removed them from any car I've ever had that had them fitted.

Have to be honest, have always disliked them. Depending on the design they can be a proper sod to use, especially if your local tyre monkey used the gun to tighten the nuts (since your average tyre technician doesn't have a clue what a torque wrench is). I've removed them from any car I've ever had that had them fitted.
I always remove mine prior to visiting either the dealer or the tyre shop.
Nut runners will absolutely knacker them up for sure.
It’s like a lot of things unfortunately, when they are installed and removed correctly, they are fine.
Each to their own I guess.
The MG is the first car I have owned in a LONG time that came with alloy wheels, that where NOT already supplied with locking bolts already fitted from the factory.
The ZS EV is fitted with diamond cut alloys, which can NOT be cheap to replace.
Thirty quid is a small price to pay for some type of protection.
Better than nothing that’s for sure.
Wheel & tyre replacement is either likely to be expensive or a sizeable claim against your car insurance.
Could well be the best thirty quid you every spent if you are unlucky enough to get a visit from the local “Pond Life”.
Once bitten, twice shy 🙈 is the expression commonly used today I think.
Don’t be a victim like we where.
I was lucky, at least they did leave it up on bricks and did not dropped it to the ground.
Just give that a bit of though for a few seconds first.
You pay your money and take your chances.

I always remove mine prior to visiting either the dealer or the tyre shop.
Nut runners will absolutely knacker them up for sure.
It’s like a lot of things unfortunately, when they are installed and removed correctly, they are fine.
Each to their own I guess.
The MG is the first car I have owned in a LONG time that came with alloy wheels, that where NOT already supplied with locking bolts already fitted from the factory.
The ZS EV is fitted with diamond cut alloys, which can NOT be cheap to replace.
Thirty quid is a small price to pay for some type of protection.
Better than nothing that’s for sure.
Wheel & tyre replacement is either likely to be expensive or a sizeable claim against your car insurance.
Could well be the best thirty quid you every spent if you are unlucky enough to get a visit from the local “Pond Life”.
Once bitten, twice shy 🙈 is the expression commonly used today I think.
Don’t be a victim like we where.
I was lucky, at least they did leave it up on bricks and did not dropped it to the ground.
Just give that a bit of though for a few seconds first.
You pay your money and take your chances.
I have a camera which alerts me with an alarm, if someone goes near either my MG or the wifes Spider, I would then go out and ask if anyone would like to play baseball as I have the bat, this would no doudt work. If that did not work I'd sent the wife out (she can be very scary, in rollers, face mask and hair net).

I have a camera which alerts me with an alarm, if someone goes near either my MG or the wifes Spider, I would then go out and ask if anyone would like to play baseball as I have the bat, this would no doudt work. If that did not work I'd sent the wife out (she can be very scary, in rollers, face mask and hair net).
The bloody cheeky "Pond Life" would probably nick your camera as well if they could get £20 for it.
They are hard faced buggers !.

I have a set of locking nuts from ebay. Can you just loosen remove & replace with locknut without jacking up car etc????
Kind regards
Terry Bailey

I have a set of locking nuts from ebay. Can you just loosen remove & replace with locknut without jacking up car etc????
Kind regards
Terry Bailey
Hi Terry - Yes you can !.
Just remove a single wheel bolt from each wheel and switch out for the locking wheel bolt.
I would be a good idea to apply a little copper grease to the threads of the new bolts when installing them.
A bit of any lub is better than none, but a thin film of copper grease is perfect !.
They need to be tight of course, but you don’t need to go “Cave Man” crazy on them.
Oh ...... Don’t be tempted use a impact wrench or a nut runner on them !.
Start them by hand with the locking wheel nut socket, then final tighten with your wheel brace.
There is a torque setting, but just apply a bit of good old common sense !.
Don’t forget to hide the locking wheel nut key some where in the car.
Don’t keep it in the house for gods sake !.
Oh ...... Keep the 4 bolts you remove in a safe place also !.
Another “Top Tip” if you need pay a visit to the tyre shop, don’t let them attack them with a nut runner !.

Last edited:
Forgot to say ..... There is a black plastic “Grabber” tool in with the inflation pump kit etc.
You will need that to remove the plastic wheel nut covers on the original wheel bolts.
This will give you access to the actual steel wheel bolt that you will need to remove from each wheel.
Keep this grey plastic cover with the four bolts that you remove to fit the new locking wheel bolts.
The plastic covers will not fit back over the new locking wheels bolts, as the head of the bolt is completely the wrong shape and size for the locking wheel bolts.
This is totally normal !.

Just remove a single wheel bolt from each wheel and switch out for the locking wheel bolt.
I would be a good idea to apply a little copper grease to the threads of the new bolts when installing them.
A bit of any lub is better than none, but a thin film of copper grease is perfect !.
They need to be tight of course, but you don’t need to go “Cave Man” crazy on them.
Start them by hand with the locking wheel nut socket, then final tighten with your wheel brace.
Another “Top Tip” if you need pay a visit to the tyre shop, don’t let them attack them with a nut runner !.
Hi Lovemyev

Thanks for reply

Kind Regards
Terry Bailey

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom