Locking with window open?

SteveRW

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Wanted to leave my windows slightly open for the dog as I popped out for five minutes. Pressing the lock button caused the horn to sound and the doors wouldn’t lock. Is it not possible to lock the car with the windows open?

Doors were definitely fully closed. But good to know it’s possible to lock with windows open. Will investigate further.

Last edited:
Yep, car switched off and boot closed. Each time I pressed lock on the key fob, the horn sounded and door remained unlocked.

I got horn alert when I try to lock the car. It was caused by forgotting to turn off engine, or closing my boot door properly.
iSmart can be used to check car status if there is any doubt.
Doors were definitely fully closed. But good to know it’s possible to lock with windows open. Will investigate further.

I often lock the car with windows left open a crack or more for the dog. When the car beeps it has always been because door not properly closed or I have left “ignition” on.

It doesn’t have interior monitoring so the alarm doesn’t go off if the dog moves.

Wanted to leave my windows slightly open for the dog as I popped out for five minutes. Pressing the lock button caused the horn to sound and the doors wouldn’t lock. Is it not possible to lock the car with the windows open?
I had the same problem but it seems ok now so possibly didn't close the boot properly or perhaps didn't select park on the gear selector.
Also, did you know that if you press and hold the unlock function on the key fob, the windows will open and if you press and hold the lock function, the windows close. A useful feature I think.

Also, did you know that if you press and hold the unlock function on the key fob, the windows will open and if you press and hold the lock function, the windows close. A useful feature I think.
This feature is regarded as “Total Opening / Closure” by some manufacturers and has different terms by others.
This has been a useful feature offered by the VAG group on a lot of their models for years.
At MG the MG5 has this feature, but not on either of the ZS EV’s oddly enough ?.
No sure if the MG4 is equipped with it ??.

I had the same problem but it seems ok now so possibly didn't close the boot properly or perhaps didn't select park on the gear selector.
It is a useful feature but make sure you don't sit on your keys in the house and open all the windows accidentally. Maybe worth getting a Faraday pouch.

a new development for me. When I leave the windows down a bit for the dog and I lock the car then I find the doors ARE all locked but the boot ISN’T.

Even without the key on my person I can press the MG badge and open the boot. Why does that happen? There is no indication that the boot wasn’t included in the locking process. Can’t see anything in the manual.

Anyone else seen this. My car is ZS LR SE.

Both of the keys need to be well out of range of the car, if the key is within diction range of the car, the boot can still be opened independently of the doors, even if they are still locked.
You should be able to open the boot with out using the fob, if you have it in your pocket.
When you close the boot, it will automatically re-lock after walk away.
Lock the car with the fob and place the keys in the house, then return to the car and try opening the boot by lifting the MG badge.
It should NOT open now !.

Both of the keys need to be well out of range of the car, if the key is within diction range of the car, the boot can still be opened independently of the doors, even if they are still locked.
You should be able to open the boot with out using the fob, if you have it in your pocket.
When you close the boot, it will automatically re-lock after walk away.
Lock the car with the fob and place the keys in the house, then return to the car and try opening the boot by lifting the MG badge.
It should NOT open now !.
Yeah I put my fob into a Faraday pouch to test that the car is properly locked along with the boot. It also tests that the pouch is working properly

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom