Long distance trips

We have just travelled from Oxfordshire to Morzine (French Alps) and back.

We split the travel each way over two days. The longest day was 430 miles. This took us 11hrs 30mins to do. Started with a100% charge, and then top ups to 80% each time.

We typically arrived at each charge point with 10-15% left. Charge to 80% took approx 40-50mins.

We stopped 3 times to charge. We had one charger stop charging half way, and we only discoverd this when we returned to the car. So this lost us about 20mins. Do plan for delays likel this, as well as having to wait 10-15mins for a charger (we saw this happen to others).

We travelled on French toll roads, at around 110kph. We had a full boot of stuff, two adults and two young children in the car.

This could likely be done up to an hour quicker (at a guess) without the charge issue and children as an additional distraction at each stop!

Is yours LR? I don't think I would get away with only 15% buffer at next stop - range is the one thing about the car which the wife, who won't drive it, frets about.

I've binned my Euro drive for this year but will be going to Edinburgh in August (for the Fringe) which is about 410 miles. And a mate is checking whether we can use his buddy's apartment in a castle east of Paris, but I think that's only 330ish miles.

Is yours LR? I don't think I would get away with only 15% buffer at next stop - range is the one thing about the car which the wife, who won't drive it, frets about.

I've binned my Euro drive for this year but will be going to Edinburgh in August (for the Fringe) which is about 410 miles. And a mate is checking whether we can use his buddy's apartment in a castle east of Paris, but I think that's only 330ish miles.
No, the regular SR.

We found we got:

180 miles - 100% charge in spring/summer/autumn
150 miles - 100% charge in winter
120 miles - 80%-10% in winter with 4 people and boot load

I'm looking forward to summer then :)

I'm quite used to the variation in mileage from my previous car (over 25% better if you were careful), but that had a petrol engine too so range was never a real problem (although we tended to use wife's car as I was trying to maintain a decent readout of electric v. petrol miles)

My wife constantly frets as well! If it’s not the range, it’s the % left on the battery! And she doesn’t drive as well!

We have just travelled from Oxfordshire to Morzine (French Alps) and back.

We split the travel each way over two days. The longest day was 430 miles. This took us 11hrs 30mins to do. Started with a100% charge, and then top ups to 80% each time.

We typically arrived at each charge point with 10-15% left. Charge to 80% took approx 40-50mins.

We stopped 3 times to charge. We had one charger stop charging half way, and we only discoverd this when we returned to the car. So this lost us about 20mins. Do plan for delays likel this, as well as having to wait 10-15mins for a charger (we saw this happen to others).

We travelled on French toll roads, at around 110kph. We had a full boot of stuff, two adults and two young children in the car.

This could likely be done up to an hour quicker (at a guess) without the charge issue and children as an additional distraction at each stop!
Was the 11h30 for the whole trip, of was the 430 miles much shorter in time?

Was the 11h30 for the whole trip, of was the 430 miles much shorter in time?
Just for the 430 miles. We stuck at 110kph for most of the way, but our charge point (once we were up in the Alps) was way off the atoroute so we had to slow down to pay tolls, and then take slow back roads to the charger. The charger was also a tricky one to get working, I reckon that added 3-5 mins more mins to the day! This last charge wasn't a full speed charge either, as far as I remember it was 22kW. We also overstayed at this charge because there wasn't any local facilities (toilet!) so we had to search around for quite a while to find one (which takes longer than normal with 4 tired people, 2 of whom are 5yrs and 18mths). I think we had intended to charge for about 30mins, but only got under way after 50mins.

The final 1hr 15min stint of the drive after this charge was uphill along winding local roads, so that would have lowered our average speed too.

For me 11h15 for 395 miles over mountains on motorways and 11h45 for 459 miles similar route, lots of charger delays and very slow repeat charging on the LEAF due to #rapidgate.

I am planning on 11h for 490 miles and 15h for 630 miles in the MG5 LR in the summer.

I once did 400 miles in 5 hours in a diesel back in the day!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom