Martin Lewis says check/switch energy prices/provider now

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I am looking around to find the best off peak provider in anticipation of getting my ZS later this week.

I have looked at Octopus and it seems the best one to go for. However reading the small print it looks like I do not have the right Smart meter. Do Octopus provide a new one and is the process easy to complete?

Octopus does provide the correct smart meter if yours is not compatible. Depends where you live as they outsource the fitting to various region companies, and waits can very. Also best to call them once onboard as the contact centre can arrange fitting quickly.

I am looking around to find the best off peak provider in anticipation of getting my ZS later this week.

I have looked at Octopus and it seems the best one to go for. However reading the small print it looks like I do not have the right Smart meter. Do Octopus provide a new one and is the process easy to complete?
I’ve found Octopus very good. I too didn’t have the correct meter and they changed it before switching to the GO tariff.

Hi, I was with Bulb and it was quicker to get them to swap the meters and then switch to Octopus then onto the Go tariff. Jusy ask them what meters they are currently installing but I think all now are the correct ones for any company to read.

Does anyone have a number or link to get a proper quote for an Octopus EV tariff. I'm currently with shell and my rate is 15p per KwH but with the news that North Ayrshire Counci will be stopping free charging it makes sense to start shopping around. My Smart meter has just been installed but seemingly isn't communicating with Shell. Bizzarley my gas one is working fine, arrrgggh

Does anyone have a number or link to get a proper quote for an Octopus EV tariff. I'm currently with shell and my rate is 15p per KwH but with the news that North Ayrshire Counci will be stopping free charging it makes sense to start shopping around. My Smart meter has just been installed but seemingly isn't communicating with Shell. Bizzarley my gas one is working fine, arrrgggh
Sign up to Octopus using one of the normal tariffs first. Then once joined, go to Octopus.energy/go and they can switch you over to the go/ev tariff for the next day. Recommend using someone's referral link, £50 bill credit each (you and the referral link owner) 😉.

If you want to go onto the 'go faster' then got to email [email protected] once you have joined (sign up with a normal tariff first, again).

One word of warning, they need a working smart meter for this tariff to work. Otherwise its not going to be a great experience for you...

Sign up to Octopus using one of the normal tariffs first. Then once joined, go to Octopus.energy/go and they can switch you over to the go/ev tariff for the next day. Recommend using someone's referral link, £50 bill credit each (you and the referral link owner) 😉.

If you want to go onto the 'go faster' then got to email [email protected] once you have joined (sign up with a normal tariff first, again).

One word of warning, they need a working smart meter for this tariff to work. Otherwise its not going to be a great experience for you...
Cheers, The meter is supposed to be getting fixed later this month.

Octopus need a SMETS 2 newer smart meter. If you smart meter is the older type, then Octopus will change that too, along with the Gas meter. The only problem with Octopus is that they don’t accommodate the Go tarrif with gas. I was using one of their dual fuel tariff is before I switched, but they don’t do a gas only tariff or dual fuel so it’s a bit of a pain.

Yeah, as Spinynorman says Octopus Go tariffs give you a cheap rate for electricity only so you'll go onto their standard (variable) rate for gas. I was with EON previously and they fitted Smart meters in my house about a year ago (Secure Liberty 100 meters) which Octopus could read with no issues so my switch to Octopus, then to Octopus Go, then to Octopus Go Faster went fairly smoothly! :)

Now, I think I'm saving about 20-25% on my monthly payments (including gas) but my tariff also gets read every 30 mins and I can see my energy consumption for the previous days broken down over 30 mins increments over a 24 hours period, which I find quite handy :cool:

The Octopus website also have a list of compatible meters for their Go tariffs if you want to check yours against the list? Getting Octopus to install a smart meter will really delay your move to the Go tariffs as some members had been waiting weeks!

Cheers

Bloggsy

Thanks guys, so after all these years, is it a good idea to use different supplies for gas and electricity?

I recently joined Octopus and had a new SMETS2 meter fitted.
When I enquired about having a smart meter they offered an appointment in 3 days!

Thanks guys, so after all these years, is it a good idea to use different supplies for gas and electricity?
It’s very easy to switch these days. I wouldn’t use a supplier that locks you in or charges to exit if you can help it - most don’t. It’s so easy to change suppliers and it introduces good competition. Using different suppliers for gas and electric will depend on what the best deal is for each - just choose on costs that suit you 🙂

You may also find this useful

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom