Meter time and off peak tariffs

AndyM

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
For anybody on off-peak EV tariffs it might be a good idea to check the time on your meter. It turns out my off peak usage has been incorrect since I switched to Octopus from a standard supplier tariff as the meter time is 2h 30m out (unfortunately in the wrong direction for my usage :D).

I find it weird that it's 2h 30 and not 1 hour or something easily explainable by DST. I wonder if they use timezones and for some reason mine is on Newfoundland time.

If you monitor your daily usage this will be immediately apparent.

If you monitor your daily usage this will be immediately apparent.

Yeah I noticed the issue quite soon after switching but the process of communicating with the supplier and getting them to accept there is an issue is more time consuming. I noticed it when the usage spike for the car charging overnight didn't line up but I initially thought it was the charger at fault.

I checked my home energy monitor from EDF the following evening, after the clocks went back.
I can view our tariff prices "live" by scrolling through the settings, for both gas and electricity.
My 5 hour cheaper rate "off peak" tariff, started at 1am and finished at 6am.
Now it is moved back 1 hour to commence at 12am and complete at 5am.

Although they generally have a good reputation for customer support, Octopus are the same as most companies when you hit a technical issue. The first line of company agents tend to have little if any understanding of what you are talking about and even less ability to fix it!

Yeah I noticed the issue quite soon after switching but the process of communicating with the supplier and getting them to accept there is an issue is more time consuming. I noticed it when the usage spike for the car charging overnight didn't line up but I initially thought it was the charger at fault.
Agreed. I've been battling with them to try and sort the e7 side out properly. 😬

Although they generally have a good reputation for customer support, Octopus are the same as most companies when you hit a technical issue. The first line of company agents tend to have little if any understanding of what you are talking about and even less ability to fix it!
Yeah but you don't put your smart guys on the phones to listen to any old Joe Public's problems (often user error/poor comprehension/didn't RTFM etc) - they are kept in a dark room at the back to fix real problems. The smart customer trick is knowing how to get past the front line quickly!!

I’m not bashing Octopus btw they have been very helpful it’s just a slow process. The customer agents have been far more helpful than I’ve experienced from other suppliers and it is clear they are escalating to people that can get the issue resolved.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom