Sinbad

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just received the following from my Octopus account manager person:

We pride ourselves on customer experience above everything else, so we want to keep you in the loop on your MG order.

Your car’s been built and is soon going to be loaded onto a boat to the UK, but, we still don’t have an accurate delivery date from MG unfortunately.

Candidly, MG is struggling with delays and we’re getting changes to estimated delivery dates at very short notice. We have escalated this to the top levels of MG in the UK and our absolute priority is getting customers into their cars as soon as possible.

To focus on customers like you, who’ve already ordered their MG, we’ve removed all MGs from our website. Pausing new orders will allow us to dedicate our time to working with MG to support you.

We’ll contact you every week from here until your car’s delivered. We’ll also update you on the location of your car, rather than the expected delivery date.

This is because the delivery date can change dramatically, whereas the location will be more reliable and give you more reassurance on your car’s journey to you.

Thanks again for bearing with us and we’ll be back in touch soon

They've offered me the option to change my order (white Mg4 trophy) to a different vehicle with shorter lead times. My tesla model y senses are tingling ...

Well you can’t buy or lease something that doesn’t exist!

Well, that's that.
Tesla order placed, MG order cancelled.
When you take so damn long to deliver a car that the customer gets an increase and a new car allowance between order and delivery, that's a risk you take :D
So long and thanks for all the fish

I suppose that's the difference between an in-demand car and one being churned out by the millions which every wannabee EV drvier has :)

Serious point, many cars have a long waiting list at the moment...

haha arguably the teslas are in demand too - top selling car in the UK in March was the Model Y... Difference is, they have a functional supply chain (or appear to)

This list allegedly shows wait times (albeit at end Feb) for UK EVs.

Other than Tesla, and the immediately available Mercs, nothing is on less than 3 months.

Estimated waiting times for new electric cars, as of 28th February 2023:

Audi Q4 e-tron: 18 months
Audi Q8 e-tron: 5 months
Audi e-tron GT: 6 months
BMW i4: 5 months
BMW iX3: 5 months
BMW iX: 5 months
BMW iX1: 5 months
Citroen e-C4: 3 - 5 months
Citroen e-Berlingo: 6 months
Cupra Born: 3-6 months
DS 3 Crossback E-Tense: 5 months
Fiat 500e: 5 months
Ford Mustang Mach-E: 9 months
Hyundai IONIQ 5: 7-12 months
Hyundai IONIQ 6: 7 months
Jaguar iPace: 3-6 months
Kia Niro EV: 4 months
Kia EV6: 8-12 months
Kia Soul: 3-4 months
Lexus UX300e: 5 months
Mazda MX-30: Up to 6 months
Mercedes EQA: Immediate
Mercedes EQC: Immediate
Mercedes EQE: Immediate
Mercedes EQS: Immediate
MG4: 4-6 months
MG5: 3 months
MG ZS EV: 18 months
MINI Electric: 4 months
Nissan Leaf: 6-9 Months
Nissan Ariya: 6-9 months
Peugeot e208: 3-4 months
Peugeot e2008: 3-4 months
Polestar 2: 6 months
Porsche Taycan: 12 months +
Renault Zoe: up to 6 months
Renault Megane E-Tech: up to 6 months
Skoda Enyaq iV: 4-12 months (depending on model)
Tesla Model S: no production
Tesla Model X: no production
Tesla Model 3: 1 month
Tesla Model Y: 1 month
Vauxhall Corsa-e: 3 months
Vauxhall Mokka-e: 5 months
Volkswagen ID.3: 9-11 months
Volkswagen ID.4: 5 months
Volkswagen ID.5: 3 months
Volkswagen ID Buzz: 3-6 months for single tone colour, 18 months for two tone
Volvo XC40 Recharge: 5-10 months

From Waiting times for electric cars 2023 | Electrifying

You can pick up a lot of EVs now from stock if you do a bit of leg work.
There are MG4s currently in stock in various dealers, Meganes, cupra Borns etc you just have to phone around and be prepared to travel a bit further

There are MG4s currently in stock in various dealers, Meganes, cupra Borns etc you just have to phone around and be prepared to travel a bit further
I was limited by the fact that it's a company lease through octopus - so was not free to pick and choose a dealership.

For the record, my issue wasn't the long lead time (though that was annoying) but more the fact that MG are unwilling or unable to provide a delivery date for a car that is supposedly already in transit. Doesn't fill me with confidence about spare parts/after sales service on top of the issues already reported in various forums.

I was limited by the fact that it's a company lease through octopus - so was not free to pick and choose a dealership.

For the record, my issue wasn't the long lead time (though that was annoying) but more the fact that MG are unwilling or unable to provide a delivery date for a car that is supposedly already in transit. Doesn't fill me with confidence about spare parts/after sales service on top of the issues already reported in various forums.
It's just the way they do things. There have been many threads in the past on here tracking ships that have been identified as car transporters on their way to Portbury Docks Bristol where MG unload. Find one of those and add some weeks. :)
All part of the sport.

Not quite sure how Audi can justify an 18 month lead time for the Q4. I mean that’s practically a car that just doesn’t exist off the paper it’s design is recorded on!?!?

This is good advice, which I took after a local dealer was having me on. I managed to cancel my local dealer and picked up a unregistered mg4 trophy from Roy Tolley Colchester who were brilliant.

I agree there are some MG4 EV's in stock around the country.

Three weeks ago I test drove a local MG4 Trophy demonstrator that was for sale, but turned it down (due to its rather tatty 'used' condition) but I immediately ordered a new Trophy as I loved the car itself. Although the dealer had no new cars in stock, they phoned around other dealerships and I collected a Camden Grey Trophy from them less than two weeks later. As luck would have it, I did not have to travel any further, as my local Dealer (Hawkins in Hayle, Cornwall) did all the legwork for me! A big thumbs up for Hawkins at Hayle from me 👍.

I agree there are some MG4 EV's in stock around the country.

Three weeks ago I test drove a local MG4 Trophy demonstrator that was for sale, but turned it down (due to its rather tatty 'used' condition) but I immediately ordered a new Trophy as I loved the car itself. Although the dealer had no new cars in stock, they phoned around other dealerships and I collected a Camden Grey Trophy from them less than two weeks later. As luck would have it, I did not have to travel any further, as my local Dealer (Hawkins in Hayle, Cornwall) did all the legwork for me! A big thumbs up for Hawkins at Hayle from me 👍.
That's how buying a car used to work👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom