MG EVs Podcast Friday 19 August 2022 @ 7:30pm BST

Stuart Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG

Yes, we have a podcast on a Friday. It's because the press embargo ends earlier in the day meaning we can discuss the latest MG4 news.

If you have any questions about the MG4, reply below and we'll do our best to get answers to them.

So please join us at 7:30pm Friday August 19 for the live stream.

Here are some photos to illustrate the podcast.

volcano-orange-mg4-trophy.png

trophy lightbar.jpg

mg4evtailgate-trophy.jpg

MG4EVinterior.jpg

MG4EVfront.jpg

MG4-Electric-MG-4-EV-rear-export.jpg

2023-mg-mg4-ev-in-uk-specification-interior-dashboard-and-front-driver-seat.jpg

2-MG4Rear-wheel-drive-system.jpg

Last edited:
I noticed on initial renders that the MG4 was getting panoramic sunroof like the ZS, it looks like it has been dropped in UK models. Is there a plan for this at later stage? I see no mention of AWD version either.

They have removed the kers and drive mode buttons. How are these adjusted in MG4? On the steering wheel or do you need to go into settings in the infotainment screen to change drive mode and regen level?

They have removed the kers and drive mode buttons. How are these adjusted in MG4? On the steering wheel or do you need to go into settings in the infotainment screen to change drive mode and regen level?
There is NO boot up procedure in the MG4 apparently.
You simply enter the car and it will "Auto Ready" the car, just select drive / reverse and off you go.
The Tesla system works in the same way, the drive selector switch is on the steering column.
Not sure if the MG4 will be the same, but I am willing to bet that it is.
I think they call it ......... "Sharing Best Practice" these days, rather than nicking somebody else's idea 🤣.

I believe when you get into the car with the key in your pocket or where ever you like to keep it, ladies often in there handbag,you just press the brake and the car turns on the is no actual on/off switch I believe, as in the other MG models.
And I guess when you get out and take the key with you close the door and it turns off but not I’m sure about the turning off.
Les

I believe when you get into the car with the key in your pocket or where ever you like to keep it, ladies often in there handbag,you just press the brake and the car turns on the is no actual on/off switch I believe, as in the other MG models.
And I guess when you get out and take the key with you close the door and it turns off but not I’m sure about the turning off.
Les
Arh sorry, I was a bit unclear. I meant driving modes as in sport, normal, eco and snow modes :)

Please could you find out the following?

1. Is there a headrest for the middle seat in the back? Chinese reviews of the Mulan show that the middle headrest has been omitted.
2. Will a charging cable be provided with the car? Is it included in the purchase price or is it sold as an option?
3. Renders on the MG website show front parking sensors. Will any of the models (present or future) have them?
4. Can the height of the driver's seat belt be adjusted?
5. What is the warranty on the new "one pack" battery?
6. How many cars are coming to the UK in the first shipment? Is MG going to distribute them to the dealers using a quota system or honour preorders based on when they were placed?
7. Will any of the models get OTA updates?

Thanks for your time and help.

Last edited:
  1. 5 Driving Modes (eco, sport, snow, custom, standard) how do they differ in practice? Does sport change steering weight for instance, or just pedal response? How do you select mode?
  2. Regen levels (1-3 and auto) Will highest level effectively allow 1 pedal driving? How does auto work?
  3. Regen or just friction braking on ACC?
  4. Storage for RFID cards, coins and sunglasses?
  5. Anywhere to rest your foot away from the pedals?
  6. Service interval?
  7. Any lighting not LED?
  8. No rear cabin lighting but how good is the interior lighting up front? Assume lighting and 12v supply in boot?
  9. Window tinting on all models? How dark is the tint?
  10. Can rear seat passengers put feet under the front seats?
  11. Without a start/stop button what is the procedure?
  12. Is there an Accessory or camping mode or is the car simply on or off?
  13. Dimensions of boot with seats up and down (LxWxH)
  14. Full AC or just climate control? 1 or 2 zone?
  15. How good is the audio system & speakers
  16. Where do you plug in a UK AC device (V2L) and does it come with an adaptor? If not what do they cost?
  17. What does the active grill do and how does it work? Automatic or driver controlled?
  18. Active battery heating and cooling to maximise charging speed in all conditions? If so is this automatic or driver controlled?
  19. How solid/flimsy is the parcel shelf compared to say a ZS?
  20. Does car display battery percentage as well as range? Does it display charging speed or do you need to calculate it yourself (VxA)?

Good morning Podcast Team.

for my two pennies worth, notwithstanding all the great questions already being posed: -

When will the financial side for PCP be finalised (e.g. possible finance discount, rate of APR, cost calculator)?

When will the order books be officially opened?

off the wall here…… however… will they be a way for dealerships to offer a retro fit of rear view mirror usb connection for dash cam, if not is the hardware in place for purchasers to retro fit?

Finally; thank you to all the podcast team, grand job! 👍🍺

Good morning Podcast Team.

for my two pennies worth, notwithstanding all the great questions already being posed: -

When will the financial side for PCP be finalised (e.g. possible finance discount, rate of APR, cost calculator)?

When will the order books be officially opened?

off the wall here…… however… will they be a way for dealerships to offer a retro fit of rear view mirror usb connection for dash cam, if not is the hardware in place for purchasers to retro fit?

Finally; thank you to all the podcast team, grand job! 👍🍺

PCP figures are dependent on the residual pricing being made available by CAP. The info I have is that this is under embargo currently. Likely to be released next week after the Press events.

Order books likely to be opened after the press events (awaiting info from MG).

I'd imagine that a standard dashcam wiring from the fuse box would be easier than trying to retrofit a USB connection into the side of the rear view mirror.

I like the look of this new MG :) A couple of questions for consideration (apologies if this info is elsewhere on the forum):
1. When will the longer range model be available, and is this the two motor version?
2. App - I have the gen1 ZS so have no idea about the iSmart app. I take it the MG4 will have some form of app, will it allow things like remote preconditioning?

Thanks.

I like the look of this new MG :) A couple of questions for consideration (apologies if this info is elsewhere on the forum):
1. When will the longer range model be available, and is this the two motor version?
2. App - I have the gen1 ZS so have no idea about the iSmart app. I take it the MG4 will have some form of app, will it allow things like remote preconditioning?

Thanks.
1 - Extended Range version due Q2 2023, no info on pricing or whether that model would come as RWD or AWD or option of either.
2 - iSmart app as per 2022 ZS EV and 2023 MG5 facelift.

Thanks @Miles Roberts CG! Hmmm, that timing fits with the running out of my gen1 free service plan but does seem a way. Add to that possible delays as we're seeing now, and it could be even further away! Could be tempted by the current longer range MG4... ;)

Hi - it has been rumoured that the MG4 may have a new "dual pinion" electronic power steering, is that the case in Europe or will the system be similar to the ZS EV? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi - all looks very interesting. Have a pretty new Puma currently but an affordable EV like this is making me really consider switching. I'd considered with MGZS when i ordered but that was before the range was increased. Thing i'd most like to see or hear about is the look/finish of the interior of the SE version of the MG4 as we currently only have Trophy spec pictures from what i can see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent lots of good question above which I’m sure Miles Robert’s will do his best to answer as many as possible for us, I have had to pull out of the podcast ( change to family plans being the reason ) so here’s a couple of extra questions to add to the list.

1 Is there a heater and A/c control panel like in the Current 5 & ZS ? I sure hope they are not within the infotainment screen like Teslas. From the pictures I have seen there are some buttons I think below the centre screen 2 are the volume up&down , and one for hazard lights, plus I think 1 for the rear screen heater, but can’t really see all of them could be for the HVAC perhaps.

Do the windows have the Lazy lock functionality ? i:e can be opened and closed with the key fob as the 5 exclusive can, don’t know about the other MG models.

Is It Keyless locking and unlocking on any of the range ? nothing in the specs
Earlier up thread Gem10 comments about the rear centre head rest may not be there, so is there three rear seat belts fitted ? I cannot see anything in any of the pictures.

Is there USB sockets in the rear.?
I very much doubt this but is there any room for a spare wheel?.

Many thanks in advance Miles for your time and efforts and I think that comes from all of us forum members.
Thank you.
Les

most of the image on line are of the trophy any chance 360deg & interior shots of the SE can be posted too as the dealers are asking what spec/colour you want after putting down the £99 deposit and we have very little to go on wrt the look of the SE vs Trophy

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom