• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG EVs Podcast Monday 11th January 2021 @ 7:30pm UTC

Stuart Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Part 1

Part 2

Join MG EV owners for advice about the car plus ask your questions live.
Please reply below with any questions or suggestions for discussion topics.

Last edited:
Your experience of internal condensation on the ZS, and rumours and news of the 5 facelift model , If Miles is joining the team how does he see those rumours affecting sales of the current 5?

Completely new to the MG / EV arena. If seems that there is continual development and roll out of Firmware/Software (across most manufacturers) - How do you know when and what is available? And how can you tell what has been already applied? I'm picking my new MG5EV up on Friday....

Rapid Charging, having managed only to achieve 24KW using BP Pulse and Engie chargers (+1C) over the past week, is it expected the revised BMS update will address this issue, since nowhere in the MG literature does it mention weather will significantly reduce the DC charging speed?

Rapid Charging, having managed only to achieve 24KW using BP Pulse and Engie chargers (+1C) over the past week, is it expected the revised BMS update will address this issue, since nowhere in the MG literature does it mention weather will significantly reduce the DC charging speed?
Very true

Your experience of internal condensation on the ZS, and rumours and news of the 5 facelift model , If Miles is joining the team how does he see those rumours affecting sales of the current 5?
MG5 won't be facelifted in RHD markets until 2022. Hope this quells speculation, and therefore prevents sales being affected! :)

Completely new to the MG / EV arena. If seems that there is continual development and roll out of Firmware/Software (across most manufacturers) - How do you know when and what is available? And how can you tell what has been already applied? I'm picking my new MG5EV up on Friday....
The dealers are supposed to load any updates at PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection). There aren't any major updates for the MG5 in terms of software, as most of the updates were for the ZS EV (and the issues raised with the early ZS EVs have been fixed, and therefore the MG5 was cured pre-launch).

Any news of the latest bms update to the zs, I'm picking a new one up tomorrow from Chorley mg and the bms update could not be applied so I cannot use my timer to charge for off peak.

Last edited:
Any news of the latest bms update to the zs, I'm picking a new one up tomorrow from Chorley mg and the bms update could not be applied so I cannot use my timer to charge for off peak.
It's coming later this week. I'm sorry we couldn't get it in time for your handover, however the factory version of the BMS should have the timed charging fix already.

Part 1

Part 2

Join MG EV owners for advice about the car plus ask your questions live.
Please reply below with any questions or suggestions for discussion topics.

As an EV user for 4 years, and an innovation engineer in the transport sector I would happify contribute to the discussion on alternative vehicle technology. I designed the battery powered EMU train that was showcased in2015 but not developed further. Such a shame, 120+ miles range on a battery EMU.

Great discussion chaps thank you. You touched on rapid charger etiquette which I think is becoming more and more important now there are a significant number of EVs and increasing rapidly. 4 years ago I could almost guarantee turning up at a mid-journey charge point and find it unoccupied. Today is much different. Stuart could this topic be added for a future podcast?

It's coming later this week. I'm sorry we couldn't get it in time for your handover, however the factory version of the BMS should have the timed charging fix already.
Very good you tube discussion today. Thank you for the update. What is the ‘factory version’ of the BMS please? Sorry if I’ve missed this somewhere. On new cars being PDI’d and delivered going forward will this ‘factory version’ still have the issues until the bug fixes are rolled out? Do MG normally contact customers when the new update is available? I know someone who has a delivery of a new ZS this Thursday and she’s been asking if she’ll have problems with range etc. Sorry for so many questions!

Factory version depends when the car is made. So if made in July, the car will be pre-loaded BMS that can do timed charge but not charge when unlocked. On PDI, the dealer should update to the lastest version available on the workshops laptop, which at moment is the same early BMS as 'newer' BMSs has been pulled. If the dealer PDI the car in December then it probably got the range killer BMS. If the car is manufactured since late October then it might also have the killer range BMS, but likelihood of getting a car that new is slim as they are on a boat for 2months.

Depends on your dealership in terms of if they are proactive on contracting customers about updates post delivery. Covid does make things harder and a lot of dealers have limited capacity, so don't do proactive call-outs as they have enough service jobs to do. Also the updates are service advisory, so they dont have to call customers urgently unlike a recall notice action.

Thanks. Very useful. I think it will be disappointing if her new car is delivered and she has issues straight away with the range. I guess once installed there’s no going back until the bug fixes are released.

In the future, I wonder if it will be acceptable to ask the service dealership not to apply software updates.

If the car ain't broke, why "fix" it!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom