MG EVs Podcast Monday 12 July 2021 @ 7:30pm BST

Miles thank you for reminding me how good the PCP is, in that you do not get negative equity if you walk away. Best way to get that is to lease the car at rates less tan a PCP. The PCP product was / is sold as away of potentially having a small equity to roll into the next car. Unless the balloon payments are "manipulated" to achieve the Monthly's the customer needs. No pack drill intended here against any salesman or dealer (caveat emptor) Miles, but again with respect, it is not a great "don't worry" point that if you run the PCP down you wont have any negative equity and this would only apply if you went to full term PCP. I understand the difficult position these decisions leave the dealer when they have to spin this as an good strategy. It is a great strategy for MG. Note I didn't say MGUK. But not so great for those who who bought MG5 expecting the face lift no sooner than autumn 22 and certainly not an interim model in between. The Pod cast is excellent by the way and I watched before it was pulled.

Lets hope you are right.....in my experience, I'm afraid, residuals will not stand three successive short term model up grades. Global MG have shown which markets they care about. Homologation cost are a bit of a smoke screen as is the Brexit argument. The real motivator is clear. Homologation of Mk3 has to happen anyway so why not do it now? that's because the priority appears to be the selling the remaining unsold (270?) Mk1 already in UK and the Mk2 units on the boat to UK. Discounts galore may be needed to shift all these cars before Mk3 arrival. The Mk2 not needing homologation is very "convenient" in this respect. I wonder how many Mk2 are actually unsold Mk1 that have been upgraded to clear stockpiles? If it doesn't need homologation its the same platform with added extra's. In some countries Mk3 face lift was the launch car or superseded Mk1 directly without the Mk2 stage. Are the other righthand drive markets (South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, the Republic of Ireland, Malta and Cyprus for example getting the Mk2 as well or are they just going to, or have gone straight to Mk3? Mk1 owners should consider a class action, unless MG come to the rescue with reasonable offers for early adopters who will seriously lose out on this relatively rapid model merry-go-round, particularly if they are using MG finance too.
Because there is no change to the visuals, I just don't think anyone will see this as a Mk2. It's just a tweek. Much like other manufacturers have done. When Nissan realised the e+ did it kill the residuals of the standard version? If anything the slightly higher list price may help bump up the perceived value. in 3 years time when joe on the street doesn't know about the difference...

The other way of looking at this of course is that MG have listened to the market and rushed out MG Pilot ahead of the facelift... Personally if this was an option when I purchased mine, I wouldn't have paid extra for it.

We are all entitled to our opinion. I, with respect, disagree with the rose tinted view. If they listen to customers they would Homologate the facelift version now which is available in the rest of the world (which they will need to do anyway) and miss out the Mk2 the changes do not need Homologation but are substantial not a tweak. This extended range model will become the only model available until the facelift arrives. The current EV5 will not be on sale once current stock is sold and it becomes the obsolete model so the extended range version is most definitely going to be a Mk2. The Leaf and others are available in larger or smaller capacity battery as an option from new. The MG5 will not be, there will only be one "new car" the range extender version. Its not the same at all and should not be compared as such. I think you do the joe" in the street a discredit. First question for any ev buyer used or new, is likely to be around range/battery is it not? This is very likely a SAIC sell off of models they have in stock or end of run from the factory before re tooling for new models at our expense. This "tweaked" model is, to the best of my knowledge, not available anywhere else?

Hmmm, I placed a deposit yesterday but the 35kg roof load has always been problematic- maybe time to re-evaluate the order assuming MG Affinity still applies to the MK2 model.

Hmmm, I placed a deposit yesterday but the 35kg roof load has always been problematic- maybe time to re-evaluate the order assuming MG Affinity still applies to the MK2 model.
Miles said the affinity offer would still apply but obviously worth checking yourself

The Mk2 are on the boat according to the pulled Podcast Orders accepted from August? delivery Sept? I think Miles said. All will be clearer in a few days after the official launch. What won't be clear I bet is how swiftly the face lift model will follow the Extended range Mk2? Would it be better to wait and get sun roof, LED lights and whatever else it has on top of the new face?

The Mk2 are on the boat according to the pulled Podcast Orders accepted from August? delivery Sept? I think Miles said. All will be clearer in a few days after the official launch. What won't be clear I bet is how swiftly the face lift model will follow the Extended range Mk2? Would it be better to wait and get sun roof, LED lights and whatever else it has on top of the new face?
Its hard to know what is best to do:-

1, Try and pick up a last of the Mark 1 models cheap.
2. Go for a Mark 2 which has the better range, all the safety kit etc for only £1500 more list price
3. Try and pick up a second hand Mark 1 at what might well be a lower, impacted price?
4. Wait for a Mark 3 with the far superior front end etc, albeit at a price that is yet unknown. And possibly with the much better revised interior too?

Ah that's interesting Biffo. If you can wait a wee while that would be my advise and see how the land lays. It will depend if the Mk1 has what you want in terms of range and 30kg roof bars. I travel occasionally to Yorkshire (could make it all the way) I stop 2/3rd of the way for a snack and 30 min rapid charge. Arrive in York then with 80% left so unless you regularly do long journeys do you need the extra range? Its a very comfy car by the way. Also the headlights get criticised as a bit dim. If you currently drive a car with LED you may also think that too, but they are fine just not LED like my last BMW. If you don't own an MG, test drive a ZS with Pilot to see if you would really use all of Pilot functions enough to need them as a priority you may find that you do not? Some MG5 owners will want the extra range and many who owned the ZSEV desperately want Pilot so their used Mk1s should be priced low (especially if they discount the last few new Mk1's to get rid) and it will have tons of warranty left. Its a bit of a quandary but just really think what do I want/value the most. If you want to future proof (if there is such a thing with the MG5 at the moment) Then consider waiting for the face lift at three years old it will be still desirable even if there is a Mk4 or more likely another SUV replacing the ZS (face lift for the current model to match the petrol must be due soon?) Good Luck!

The roof rails are my only issue - I’ve got a 510 litre box for my 2011 Grand CMax which I use once a year for holidays (dogs in boot). The spec of Mk1 is comparable other than auto parking on my Ford. The MG Pilot would be nice, as would extra range, but the 75kg rails are the biggest interest.

I’ll contact dealer and see if something can be sorted for the Long Range when released as it’s so soon and I’ve only just paid deposit.

Well done you are sorted. Mk 2 it is. Couple of things worth pushing for when doing the deal. The protection kit especially for dogs in the back and a 10m type 2 charging cable. Both are on the accessories list. With luck they may throw either or both in at least they can sell at cost not retail

Thanks - I guess it all comes down to availability of Affinity Scheme and realistic price on MK2 - can’t justify the increase in list price, loss of the Affinity Discount, etc.

No matter how it works out, pretty sure I’m gonna be happy - now, time to check out deals on solar panels 😃

But you live in Glasgow LOL....... I lived in Ayr and worked in Glasgow for 9 years so you may need a back up for when its dark from 1600 to 0845 or just good old West of Scotland Dreek. I worked underground in Glasgow so in winter it was dark into work, dark on way home and I only saw the sun on Sat and Sun if I was luck! As they say in Ayr if you can see Ailsa Craig its just stopped raining or its just about to start raining. Check out Octopus energy as a back up. They have a special night time rate available of just £0.05p a Kw. So a four and a half hour top up (31.5Kw) costs less than £1.58. Both you and I can get a £50 credit if you change to them so if you are thinking of it I'll send the link. I actually chose them because they have been the Which best buy for the last four years.

I’m curious about a battery backup to store energy generated through the day and use at night. Or whether Octopus 5p tariff can be stored in battery and used during peak hours. Although I’ve been WFH for 18 months so driven 2k miles in a year

Do we know whether the ACC on the long range MG5 uses regen braking like the current MG5 standard CC, or does it change to using the brakes like the ZS EV?

I don't know, but other than a bigger battery I can't see the current MG5 energy system being changed as there is no change to max charge rate for example as far as I'm aware.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom