• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG EVs Podcast Monday 15th March 2021 @ 7:30pm UTC

How about some discussion on the vexed question of LED bulbs?

I have replaced the internal, boot & reversing bulbs on my ZS EV with LED ones to great effect. I also want to improve the headlights (it’s a bit like driving with candles up front), but am currently confused.
Are LED bulbs an MOT failure and if so is it illegal to have them in between MOTs?
Do you have to inform your insurer?
If LEDs can be used in between MOTs which ones are known to fit?
If LEDs should not be used, does anyone have advice on best value normal bulb improvements and best light, regardless of price?

Many thanks,

David

p.s. Really like the podcast and many thanks to all who take part.
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

A few thoughts/suggestions for the team discussion;

friction brakes on our EV’s -
do they require maintenance?
are they different to ICE car brakes in any way?
If you hardly use them, should you apply them sharply every now and then to clean off the discs and pads?
Will they corrode and seize over time? What is the best approach?

regen and friction brakes -
how do they work/what’s the relationship?
If they are linked, when using the brake pedal what is the set up?
Does the first part of pressing the brake pedal just give more regen?
Is there an additional regen boost over and above level 3 when pressing the brake pedal?

tips on regen driving -
is ‘longer distance and light’ regen setting generally better than ’shorter distance and heavy’?
if our cars had the regen switched off how would this typically affect the range? -5% -20%?
Have any tests been completed with different levels of regen to detail the impact on range?
Which regen level setting are the WLTP tests done under or doesn’t it apply?

showing brake lights under regen -
is the MG regen3 brake light set up ok?
Some have said the brake lights come on too late. Are the brake lights definitely controled by the extent of the cars retardation force or a switch?
It would be great for the driver to be able to see when the brake lights are deployed.

Stuart !.
Them ZS EV diamond cut alloys in the shot ( rear as its happens ) needs a bit of love !. LOL.
Pod Cast reminder all set and ready to go !.
They will get move love this week as I have more time now. 😘 Was busy prepearing for my work place to open today and then not opening thanks to welsh government publishing a roadmap last minute.

There is some discussion on the Facebook group about the availability of a "low mileage" service at a cut price. Are there details available about qualification for this, what it includes, any effects on warranty etc?

Faint rattling sound from area between air ventilator and front screen on car. Sounds like a few coins rattling in there. This is not the A pillar noise that someone mentioned which could be eliminated by pressing against the speaker on the A pillar. Any ideas ?

Have you checked around the white trim area, where the interior mirror / sun roof control switch is located ?.
When you hear the rattle, apply light pressure with two fingers to the white surround.
I had a rattle in my car that was driving us mad !.
I said it was on her side, she said it was on my side !.
My wife nailed it one day, it was the trim I mentioned above.
Give that a go !.
The other common noise, is a ticking / creaking noise between the front screen and the top of the dash panel.
This has been covered in another post, windscreen wiper hard rubber gasket rubbing on the glass !.
A few people have this issue, more notable when the weather is cold and the cabin is ingested.
When the cabin is warm, the ticking / creaking is a lot less.

Will check on the trim area around the mirror and sunroof knob. My dealer has graciously invited me to bring the car and they would figure this out for me. The problem is that the annoying sound seems to disappear when it rains, so it really is a gamble whether they will be able to hear it when my appointment is due. Have thought of recording the rattle to prove I am not imagining things. Fingers crossed. Hope this will be a minor issue to fix as I really like the car.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom