MG sales

I can't see any reason to SORN a vehicle that costs £0 VED ?
Continuous insurance enforcement - if a car is taxed it needs to be insured (more specifically, entered on the MID). SORN vehicles don’t.

There are three MG ZS EVs in my little village alone and I seem to be sighting more on the roads this last six weeks.
If MG play their cards right they could become the Tesla for the average UK family.

Good reviews for ZS EV sales in several EV online sources and other EV analysts sources this month.
In percentage terms their performance is extraordinary. It is funny some link this with the effect Tesla is having on the car market rather than how good the ZS EV is. Any it is not clear why ZS EV is not enjoying same success in mainland Europe. May be there is a production/distribution lag so the European success may come later.
My worry is that with Covid still causing a big concern and Tesla over-manipulation of the car sales and motor industry/ financial markets we may have a sudden "Osborne Effect" in the whole sector as people keep their current car and wait for two or three years in the hope of buying a cheap high performance Tesla for same price or less what it cost to buy a ZS EV and investors invest in nothing unless it is somehow Tesla related.
If I where in a position to advice, I would suggest to SAIC to turn MG into fully EV company with only 5 or 6 models.
For example MG3EV, MG5EV, MGHEV MGZS EV, and MGX/E Motion.
They can then use the next 3 years to improve tech and lower cost. That will be the only way to keep up with Tesla.

Continuous insurance enforcement - if a car is taxed it needs to be insured (more specifically, entered on the MID). SORN vehicles don’t.
Personally I would keep it insured anyway for peace of mind, it can cost more to freeze or cancel insurance sometimes due to the charges the insurance companies add for changes. I suppose it's ok to not have it insured if you lock the car away in a secure garage or if you're not going to use it for a long time.

They’re probably pre-registered cars stashed somewhere that the dealer has SORNed for whatever reason.

Good reviews for ZS EV sales in several EV online sources and other EV analysts sources this month.
In percentage terms their performance is extraordinary. It is funny some link this with the effect Tesla is having on the car market rather than how good the ZS EV is. Any it is not clear why ZS EV is not enjoying same success in mainland Europe. May be there is a production/distribution lag so the European success may come later.
My worry is that with Covid still causing a big concern and Tesla over-manipulation of the car sales and motor industry/ financial markets we may have a sudden "Osborne Effect" in the whole sector as people keep their current car and wait for two or three years in the hope of buying a cheap high performance Tesla for same price or less what it cost to buy a ZS EV and investors invest in nothing unless it is somehow Tesla related.
If I where in a position to advice, I would suggest to SAIC to turn MG into fully EV company with only 5 or 6 models.
They can then use the next 3 years to improve tech and lower cost. That will be the only way to keep up with Tesla.
In fact, SAIC has many EV models, with different brands, incluing MG. Roewe, Buick, Chevrolet and Wuling, Baojun,

for example, these two EV cars(buick and chevrolet) have the same electricmotor and gear box with MG ZS EV, 110kw and 350Nm, their batteries are the same with MG 5, 52.5Kwh, all have 410km NEDC ranges.

MG has many cards, if it really wants to be a fully EV manufacturer in UK and Europe.

cx.jpg

wl.jpg

They can't keep up with Tesla, no legacy Auto. can. Tesla are years ahead in tech and building out manufacturing capacity at an exponential rate. But that's OK, MG are in a different market and will take sales from ICE, not Tesla. :)

If they want to grow that need to work massively on the after sales market too and get people correctly trained on the systems

Tesla are really in a different league to other manufacturers. Some, maybe myself, will shy away from their high tech infotainment systems and lack of shortcut buttons. If we want people to switch away from ICE cars they need to feel familiar in an EV.

Tesla are really in a different league to other manufacturers. Some, maybe myself, will shy away from their high tech infotainment systems and lack of shortcut buttons. If we want people to switch away from ICE cars they need to feel familiar in an EV.

Hmm... We'll see, when the iphone first came out, it was greeted with similar sentiments as we all had buttons and keyboards on our phones. Almost every single phone now uses the iphone format...

I do agree with you though, some car functions, especially when on the move, are better with real tactile buttons.

I agree with you - the ICE offerings from MG are lacklustre and I can’t imagine they sell many to anyone apart from Motability.

Becoming a BEV/PHEV challenger brand st the lower end of the market would do wonders for them.

The dealer network will grow with the sales. No point having a massive well equipped dealer network and no cars. The ZS is probably the first EV many technicians will have worked on. Now that 3/4 U.K. Models have plug in variants they’ll be up to speed now! Let’s be honest with ourselves, no dealer is perfect! Z

To me, SAIC MG mainly needs to keep the value proposition good and bring in the cars people want. They’re not competing with Tesla, they’re competing with Nissan, Hyundai, Pug/Citroen. They might even be competing against ICE cars and not BEV. The 5 is perfect to be the choice of every Uber driver out there. The ZS is perfect for everyone who was looking at a Qashqai and maybe saw a Leaf.

I can imagine them dropping ICE in under 2 years if they can get the model range right in Europe. Imagine them being the first all electric ‘traditional’ car company. They don’t need to have an EV for everyone. Just cover the popular body styles.

SAIC have the EV cars they just need the confidence to bring them to Europe which I’m sure they’re gaining monthly. They could then remove their ICE cars from the market especially as Kiltox says they’re not that good anyway.

Last edited:
Folks,
We are all "signing from same book" but I wonder if MG/SAIC, BMW, Ford, VOLVO are catching up. ICE sales are getting lower and lower but because the ICE producers can not get invester funds because of Tesla or rather Elon Musk, all ICE producers are doing is producing loads more of cheap ICE in the hope that these ICE will be bought to give them money for the transition to BEV. Covid of course does not help as car sales in general are going down.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom