MG ZS EV Quality Survey

Had my ZS EV for 3.25 years. Initial software updates were buggy but got fixed over 12 months. But I did have one failure. After charging at a Tesco Rapid charger I could not charge at home. Was advised to get the AA out and the guy said that it was obviously a software issue out of AAs ability to fix. I had enough charge to return it to the dealer and so after giving them a call it was taken in a couple of days later and they reloaded a software fix and it has been as good as gold since. Only done 13k miles no sign of wear and tear, a little bit of surface rust under the bonnet on edges which didn't take paint so it will be worthwhile cleaning up and touching up.

The car could have better rear suspension but on long journeys it is easy to cover long distances despite having the original 42 kW battery. We have done 320 miles in the day with three shortish top ups which fitted in with bladder and recaffeination. Love the opening glass roof, was about to swap it for a newer one but no opening roof. So I didn't go ahead. I will be looking into the Volvo which is slightly smaller but has a pano roof and bigger battery. My wife would appreciate a slightly smaller car I think, we have a Passat Estate which has slightly better visibility for parking but the low seating doesn't help me with because of a disability.

Had my ZS EV for 3.25 years. Initial software updates were buggy but got fixed over 12 months. But I did have one failure. After charging at a Tesco Rapid charger I could not charge at home. Was advised to get the AA out and the guy said that it was obviously a software issue out of AAs ability to fix. I had enough charge to return it to the dealer and so after giving them a call it was taken in a couple of days later and they reloaded a software fix and it has been as good as gold since. Only done 13k miles no sign of wear and tear, a little bit of surface rust under the bonnet on edges which didn't take paint so it will be worthwhile cleaning up and touching up.

The car could have better rear suspension but on long journeys it is easy to cover long distances despite having the original 42 kW battery. We have done 320 miles in the day with three shortish top ups which fitted in with bladder and recaffeination. Love the opening glass roof, was about to swap it for a newer one but no opening roof. So I didn't go ahead. I will be looking into the Volvo which is slightly smaller but has a pano roof and bigger battery. My wife would appreciate a slightly smaller car I think, we have a Passat Estate which has slightly better visibility for parking but the low seating doesn't help me with because of a disability.
So I think your comment to zs is not bad as a family car, true?

As some of you may have seen, my ZSEV has been back at the dealers for 4 months now, with no end in sight. I believe the issues my car is exhibiting are solely relating to incompetent dealers and not the factory.
What you mean no end in sight, still some unresolved issue? There is not much negative comment out there in this forum on this car, thanks

Myself, I think it makes a great family car.
If you have little ones, then getting them into child seats 💺 in the back etc is SO much easier when the ride height of the car is elevated.
Anybody with any mobility issues or a bad back will testify this fact, I am sure !.
When we travel with our grand children, it is always a fore gone conclusion that they will fall to sleep 😴.
It affects the wife as well, I love the silence.
They also love the view through the glass roof on the rare occasion that we travel at night.
When we first had the car, the ten year old asked me why there was no noise ( engine ) coming from the front of the car ?.
The boot is large given the size of the car and you can carry a spare wheel if you wish.
Which is fairly rare in cars today.
If the range suits your user case and you can charge from home, then the saving over a fossil car is substantial.
Went full BEV in 2019 and now on my second ZS EV and covered over thirty thousand in both cars todate.
I still drive my wife’s fossil car on the odd occasion, just for a reality check.
Honestly, there is no comparison in every department.
Warning ⚠️!.
If you test drive an EV - You very likely to get bitten by the EV bug and buy it.
You have been warned 🤣.
They are not for everybody of course, although they will be, like it or not !.

I think it is very good. Of course I paid only £23,500 for mine, it was in the first batch. So really good value for money. When you look at the components they look as though they are from the same bin as VW. The early write ups by the motoring press showed them all up to be winkers , they were quite scathing about the finishes, but they are no different from vfm cars, maybe better. And that MG have overtaken Volvo in sales nos. Shows them to be popular. My motto when it comes to cars and domestic appliances is always buy what everyone else is buying. That way you are likely to get reasonably good quality and spare parts! I broke my own rule with the MG but I couldn’t see how they could fail with this product. I test drove a Kona at the same time, suspension better, but noisy at the back. Too small in the back seat.

Myself, I think it makes a great family car.
If you have little ones, then getting them into child seats 💺 in the back etc is SO much easier when the ride height of the car is elevated.
Anybody with any mobility issues or a bad back will testify this fact, I am sure !.
When we travel with our grand children, it is always a fore gone conclusion that they will fall to sleep 😴.
It affects the wife as well, I love the silence.
They also love the view through the glass roof on the rare occasion that we travel at night.
When we first had the car, the ten year old asked me why there was no noise ( engine ) coming from the front of the car ?.
The boot is large given the size of the car and you can carry a spare wheel if you wish.
Which is fairly rare in cars today.
If the range suits your user case and you can charge from home, then the saving over a fossil car is substantial.
Went full BEV in 2019 and now on my second ZS EV and covered over thirty thousand in both cars todate.
I still drive my wife’s fossil car on the odd occasion, just for a reality check.
Honestly, there is no comparison in every department.
Warning ⚠️!.
If you test drive an EV - You very likely to get bitten by the EV bug and buy it.
You have been warned 🤣.
They are not for everybody of course, although they will be, like it or not !.
Thank you so much, haha I am waiting my ZS LR trophy and hoping the delivery early next month. Let me sharing my experience with you later.

We have had our ZS TLR for four days. To date one screen freeze (while using ABRP with CarPlay), which was corrected by holding down the home button for 10 seconds. Otherwise it has been flawless, ACC, radio, charging etc. The plastic seat do cause one to perspire (but it helps with my weight loss 🤣) , as others have said, why not fabric?

Our holiday in the West Country
The issue is not the car. It’s the charging infrastructure, which in the south west of England is shambolical to say the least. Rapid chargers down here are called 22Kw !!!!!

Ah that reminds me, don’t rush the start up. That is the way for things to freeze. It isn’t seriously slow but just give things time to boot up in their natural sequence. If things stop, switch off and reboot.

Have you got a filter on in ABRP? There are plenty of 150+kW chargers around. Which bit of the West Country are you in?

Ah that reminds me, don’t rush the start up. That is the way for things to freeze. It isn’t seriously slow but just give things time to boot up in their natural sequence. If things stop, switch off and reboot.
Ours froze-up while we were driving!

Have you got a filter on in ABRP? There are plenty of 150+kW chargers around. Which bit of the West Country are you in?
We are holidaying a few miles west east of St Austell in Luxulyan.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom