MG ZS Warranty question

planetHunter

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
We are looking to buy a second hand ZS from 2021 (in the UK). The service history shows that they had it serviced at an MG dealer in February 2022, but it has not been serviced by an MG dealer yet in 2023. It's been 14 months so I think it's now out of warranty. My question is, does that mean this car is always out of warranty?

If I buy this car and take it for service at an MG dealer right away, I know it's currently out of warranty so if there's any issues I'll have to pay for it. But after that point, if I keep taking it for service at an MG dealer within 12 months, will it be back in warranty? I've called 3 MG dealers but I can't get a straight answer on this. Thanks everyone!

MG do offer a little tolerance on time, but I think its only about one month.
In this case MG could regard it as out of warranty.
You could contact MG Customer Services and double check the facts.
I would be a little nervous myself on taking on this car.

MG do offer a little tolerance on time, but I think its only about one month.
In this case MG could regard it as out of warranty.
You could contact MG Customer Services and double check the facts.
I would be a little nervous myself on taking on this car.
I'm nervous about this too. I will try to call them tomorrow. The car dealer assures us they have already spoken to MG customer service and made some kind of agreement that it is still counted as in warranty, but I can't seem to get an MG dealer to agree that such a thing is possible.

MG service is done yearly or 15K which comes first so it sounds like it has no MG warranty and once out you can't get back in.
Thanks this is very much what I was curious about. So once you're out of the warranty (like have missed the 1 year or 15k) it's definitely out of the 7 year warranty for good? There's no way to get back in warranty if you take it every year (or 15k) after that?

I'm nervous about this too. I will try to call them tomorrow. The car dealer assures us they have already spoken to MG customer service and made some kind of agreement that it is still counted as in warranty, but I can't seem to get an MG dealer to agree that such a thing is possible.
E.mail MG Customer Services and ask them to verify it, then you have it in writing !.

Ask for that in writing.
This sounds like something that should be catered for, a car sitting on a sales forecourt waiting to be sold goes overdue on a service. Probably not an isolated incident.

I purchased my MG5 from Motorpoint and was assured that had been serviced in January 2023 . The car was first registered March 15th 2022 so I thought all was OK . I picked up the car , drove home and found there was no service book . I phoned Motorpoint who said that there was no physical copy it was all recorded on line .
Anyway I tried to find service history records from the local dealership and MG Customer support ( who haven't replied to query after 3 weeks :( ) and got nowhere .
Anyway I decided to bite the bullet and buy a service plan and booked the car in for it's first service which will be on the 14th April . This is just within the 1 month "grace period " , so hopefully I have averted any warranty issue though I'll know more next week .
With my previous 2 cars ( Hyundai ) I could create an account with My Hyundai and all my service history would have been revealed .
Is there no such MG owner website in the UK ? I know there is ( or was ) an app in India but not sure if it could be used in the UK

I purchased my MG5 from Motorpoint and was assured that had been serviced in January 2023 . The car was first registered March 15th 2022 so I thought all was OK . I picked up the car , drove home and found there was no service book . I phoned Motorpoint who said that there was no physical copy it was all recorded on line .
Anyway I tried to find service history records from the local dealership and MG Customer support ( who haven't replied to query after 3 weeks :( ) and got nowhere .
Anyway I decided to bite the bullet and buy a service plan and booked the car in for it's first service which will be on the 14th April . This is just within the 1 month "grace period " , so hopefully I have averted any warranty issue though I'll know more next week .
With my previous 2 cars ( Hyundai ) I could create an account with My Hyundai and all my service history would have been revealed .
Is there no such MG owner website in the UK ? I know there is ( or was ) an app in India but not sure if it could be used in the UK
Do you happen to know who / which main MG dealer supplied the car from new ?.
Sometimes the dealer will have there name printed on the bottom on the number plates or a window sticker.
They maybe able to help regarding the service record, if it has any ?.
I have found that even with a larger company like VW individual dealers keep service records stored on their OWN local dealer data base and service records can differ from dealer to dealer.
Any warranty work performed is different, as MG approve this work and therefore they will have it on a central data base.

Do you happen to know who / which main MG dealer supplied the car from new ?.
Sometimes the dealer will have there name printed on the bottom on the number plates or a window sticker.
They maybe able to help regarding the service record, if it has any ?.
I have found that even with a larger company like VW individual dealers keep service records stored on their OWN local dealer data base and service records can differ from dealer to dealer.
Any warranty work performed is different, as MG approve this work and therefore they will have it on a central data base.
Looks like Motorpoint have changed the the number plates they all have Motorpoint on them now :) . The reg plate seems to indicate that it came from the Northampton area so that's going to be difficult to track down .
Motorpoint did eventually supply me with a service history document but it looks more like a PDI to me

Attachments

• Service record.pdf
    281.4 KB · Views: 110
Looks like Motorpoint have changed the the number plates they all have Motorpoint on them now :) . The reg plate seems to indicate that it came from the Northampton area so that's going to be difficult to track down .
Motorpoint did eventually supply me with a service history document but it looks more like a PDI to me
And me

As I mentioned above, the tolerance is 28 days so you have booked your service outside the grace period.

That looks more like a personal in house Motorpoint PDI check that they have conducted, rather than the official MG main dealer PDI check off sheet.

As I mentioned above, the tolerance is 28 days so you have booked your service outside the grace period.
When I booked it , I was told it's a month and having it done on the 14th April would comply within time frame . Whether or not that's true I'll find out next Friday . After all I booked the car in 3 weeks ago , the fact that the MG service department hasn't the capacity to get an earlier appointment is not my fault .
If my warranty isn't voided , all well and good . If not , I guess I'll be giving MG or Motorpoint a piece of my mind :)

When I booked it , I was told it's a month and having it done on the 14th April would comply within time frame . Whether or not that's true I'll find out next Friday . After all I booked the car in 3 weeks ago , the fact that the MG service department hasn't the capacity to get an earlier appointment is not my fault .
If my warranty isn't voided , all well and good . If not , I guess I'll be giving MG or Motorpoint a piece of my mind :)
Think I might ring a couple more even if a road trip required & hedge your bet?...

The first service is not much more than a PDI, in fact it's probably less.
I would show that document to the dealer and see if it's acceptable.
I would think it is as it covers what the service does.
These car supermarkets do have their own service departments and there's nothing stopping you using an independent service centre (apart from the loss of the AA cover).
When SWMBO bought an almost a year old Focus from The Car People back in 2003 they serviced it as it was almost due and Ford accepted this and upheld the warranty. FWIW, The Car People actually did a more comprehensive service than the Ford requirements.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom