MG4 X Power Vibe/Hum 65to75mph

So I had a poke about Tin'ternet, for a picture of a Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor with it's body off.(I don't know why I haven't thought of it sooner) And this is exactly how the driveshafts should look in my book.
As I said in my earlier post, I fully expected the driveshafts
(of a thoughtfully engineered car 🤣) to be directly in line with the output drive of the power units.

As per............
model-3-dual-motor-animated_featured-animated-1024x469.gif

P.s.I've owned a model 3 but only the rear wheel drive version.

Last edited:
Yes, I can see those front cv joints wearing prematurely! When the car was developed it possibly wasn't conceived with 4wd in mind?

Well, that might explain the position the driveshafts ended up in.........
就可以了 (translation) That'll do!"

Waiting for a report from a dealer who has agreed there is a vibe/hum in a customer car, and also confirmed it in their demo XPower. @Freeagain21

Head scratcher is there's plenty of space towards the front of the car to mount the motor further forward.
Were they trying to keep major mass within the wheelbase and didn't consider possible side effects ?

Yes, I can see those front cv joints wearing prematurely! When the car was developed it possibly wasn't conceived with 4wd in mind?
I think a AWD model was always planned. All the original documentation (electrical and maintenance) refers to the front motor and associated control unit. They did release an updated circuit diagram document along with the X-Power, but the original RWD document did reference the forward axle control unit even though there were no diagrams.

It would be madness not the design it in up front when creating a new car if you thought it would be a future option.

But I agree that driveshaft layout is very poor design.

Anyone brave enough to pop a clip from one of the CV joints to check the grease levels ? After finding all 4 brake calipers completely devoid of grease on mine, nothing would surprise me.

Still think its the extreme forward angle of the driveshafts though, this means that the balls inside the joints effectively slide back and fore as the joint completes each rotation, a source of possible resonance IMO.
A redesigned shaft with careful balancing or damping might be the solution, hopefully nothing as drastic as a complete rethink of motor / reduction box location.

Of course I could be talking bollox and it's nothing to do with any of that :)
Surely a man of your calibre with your outstanding You tube fame and engineering knowledge could fix this balancing problem with a couple of quick twists of your now famous 8mm drill? :)

Seems like we may not be the only EV brand affected. Checkout Bjørn Nyland's Youtube review of the "Honda e:Ny1 1000 km challenge" At 28 minutes 54" into the video he talks about a frequency / hum that is noticeable and maybe connected to the wheels and rims.

Morning All

Have you seen this?

👌 Thanks for sharing - excellent news and I'm glad that they have listened to feedback and acted pretty promptly. Hopefully it won't take 6 months to roll out the Retrofit upgrade. Fingers crossed it works.

Yep, let's hope this is the fix and they will also roll this out to the UK market, I've sent the link to my Service Manager to read so it's documented.

Everyone has varying hum/vibration...mine you can actually hear so would like it fixed sooner rather than later.

It hasn't stopped me enjoying driving GertMint though😁

I was rather hoping you were still finding Gert Mint, Gert Lush!

Just glad I wasn't imagining it!

I always thought something would come in down the line, and as you say, it hasn't curtailed my enjoyment one iota.👍

Last edited:
The more I dwell on it, the more frustrated I become. How was the car signed off by the test drive team?
Was there a test drive team?
Surely tens of 1000s of miles were completed test driving the car? and yet it's us, The G.B.P.T.D. "Great British Public Test Drivers" doing the bloody testing!!😡
This happens to one degree or another with many manufacturers.

A company will have a relatively small number of test mules/ prototypes/ pre-production cars on test.

Then when the vehicle goes into full production, there are suddenly thousands (or hundreds of thousands) on the road, each racking up thousands of miles in varying different conditions that may or may not have been simulated or replicated by the test team.

This may well identify issues that the test team did not encounter.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom