MG4 X Power. A very comfortable motorbike.

Bricktop X PWR

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
This is the feeling from the MG4 X Power.

The X Power will cover ground quicker than any motorcycle you care to mention.
(In the wet)

I am talking about UK A roads specifically with lot's of twists, turns and changes in elevation.

In my part of the World (West Wales) I am surrounded by glorious roads and outstanding scenery as far as the eye can see.

I have got to know a great deal of these roads riding my Kawasaki Ninja1000SX (amongst others!) And today's trip out to The Black Mountain Pass (A4069) has brought home to me, just how well sorted the X Power is.

You don't have to ride or drive like a lunatic to enjoy the roads (despite some people's best efforts to the contrary) but even at the speed limit you can find great pleasure from the feeling that driving or riding a well sorted vehicle provides.

Today without question where the road approaching the pass was wet and slippery, with plenty of leaf litter already covering the surface of the tarmac, the car was easily quicker through the corners and sharper bends than I would have been on the bike.

I am also quite confident that it would have also been quite a close match for it on the short straights in between.

Of course this really  should be the case!
With the best part of 430bhp on tap.

Four massive contact patches and Sport mode selected, giving me permanent four wheel drive, it really was no contest!

Maybe I am getting Old and Wizened (I am, I am 🤣🤣🤣)

But I enjoyed that drive today, in those conditions, far more than if I had been on my motorbike.

A glorious warm sunny day?
Of course I would rather be on the bike!!

20220804_095452.jpg

Point Blur_Sep172023_133601.jpg

Last edited:
It shouldn’t be a match for even your touring bike on the straights, and certainly wouldn’t be a match for a sports bike.
The X-power 1/4 mile has been timed at 12.1 seconds to 112mph.
That’s poor by motorbike standards, even a 600 will be doing well over 130 in that time, and will do 0-100 in 6 seconds.
As with a lot of EVs, it appears the X-power acceleration dies off dramatically after 60-70mph and 12 seconds to 112mph isn’t really indicative of 480bhp.
I bet if you looked at ICE cars with 480bhp they’d be doing a lot more than 112mph after 12 seconds, or would take a lot less than 12 seconds to reach 112mph.
Others here can explain why EVs have poor higher speed acceleration than ICE cars for a given bhp figure, it’s just a fact of EV life.

So might you agree that a fast car (especially a 4wd car) will corner much quicker than a motorcycle in the wet?
Particularly on a wet, leaf strewn road as per my post, because that's all I am talking about.......

So might you agree that a fast car (especially a 4wd car) will corner much quicker than a motorcycle in the wet?
Particularly on a wet, leaf strewn road as per my post, because that's all I am talking about.......

Yes, but that’s not all you said and not what I picked up on.
You said the car would be a “close match for it on the straights”
It really shouldn’t be, anything 600cc and over should leave it trailing.

Did you need to pick me up on anything?
I stand by what I said.
Those roads, those conditions, this morning.
I was quicker in my car.
(Within the confines of the speed limits)

Now I've not seen everything you have ever posted m8 and you may well have driven an X Power in the wet, but until you have, an can attest to the performance at hand I am happy to leave it there.
👍

Last edited:
As much as I'm looking forward to my asbo-orange Trophy, I do love that satin green on the Xpower, just gorgeous and the highlights of the orange calipers is perfect. Think once my current lease period comes to an end I'll be sorely tempted to switch to the Xpower, something nice about a car that can be sedate and comfy when required but also a bit of a secret hooligan.

And you are right to be looking forward to it M8!
I'm a bit of a Shrinking Violet to be honest (No, really!!!)
And I don't think I could get away with bright orange.
But trust me M8, when I say you will have more than enough performance in the "Real World"
It is indeed where the vast majority of us live, and 1/4 mile sprints and launches, really are just a bit of fun in YouTube land.

As much as I'm looking forward to my asbo-orange Trophy, I do love that satin green on the Xpower, just gorgeous and the highlights of the orange calipers is perfect. Think once my current lease period comes to an end I'll be sorely tempted to switch to the Xpower, something nice about a car that can be sedate and comfy when required but also a bit of a secret hooligan.
That is what drew me to it, I really LIKE that it doesn’t look fancier and racier. It’s very sleeper like and can be sensible but in 0.2sec unleash ALL those horses if needed. No turbo lag, no power band, all the efficiency when you don’t want the performance and all the performance when called upon.

That is what drew me to it, I really LIKE that it doesn’t look fancier and racier. It’s very sleeper like and can be sensible but in 0.2sec unleash ALL those horses if needed. No turbo lag, no power band, all the efficiency when you don’t want the performance and all the performance when called upon.
Right Brettus, I'm going to say something here but don't tell anyone else.......

After my dolphin grey, "blend in with absolutely everything else" Audi, when I went shopping for the first time in the car and parked up, everyone and I mean everyone was looking at the car.

Maybe it's the colour because I have done 1000 miles in it now and haven't seen another colour like it (from any brand)

Or........was it the " Lairy Cap On Backwards Caliper Covers"???🤣

Anyway I was going to Plastidip them black, but do you know what? They have really grown on me, and do set the car off Beautifully
Polish_20230918_111839047.jpg
. The wife has always loved them and told me to stop being a Berk 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Not sure Plastidip would work at the high temperatures they'd encounter.

Yes Alb, I had considered that, but I'm not doing trackdays and barely touch my brakes due to the highly effective re-gen.

I don't use one pedal mode as it's to aggressive for my liking.
I have a hill I always gone down leaving home and at the top put the car in neutral, then give the brakes one good hard application to clean up the discs.

I doubt very much they would get hot enough to cause issues if Plastidip was used.

All conjecture for me though as I like them and will leave them as is.👍

Just had this back, so now we know removal of covers it is!

Hello Dave,

Having checked with our technical team, they have advised that although Plasti Dip regular can be removed, it is not recommended for the temperatures that are likely to be incurred on brake callipers.

Please see temperature range on the TDS below:-

https://www.plastidip.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/PlastidipTDS.pdf
Sorry we cannot help on this occasion.
Kind regards,

Alison

Or..... treat the covers with high temperature caliper paint?
The covers do give a nice neat appearance.
Either way they will come off easily so you can do what suits you M8 👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom